Since so many of you are reporting temperature issues with the NB and SB on this board I figured I would take a look at mine before I install it.
So after removing the heatsink this is what I found.
NorthBridge. Notice there isn't any thermal material on it? (sorry this one is a bit blurred)
Here is the contact point on the heatsink, obviously never made contact.
I sure am glad I decided to check it out.
Here is the south bridge, it appears to have made decent contact.
Here is the entire assembly for a better idea of what you are looking at.
...aaand here's the problem, well part of it anyway.
It looks as though the hole for that support isn't tapped straight or deep enough. I found some aluminum from the drilling process in the hole. I used a small drill bit to clean it out. I also measured the standoffs they used to mount the heat sink.
The brass standoff on the left was on the SB, the aluminum on the right is from the NB.
After cleaning the hole I reinstalled the aluminum standoff and still didn't get full contact so I used a metal file to shave it down to the same height as the SB standoffs.
Here is the contact on the NB after I did that
Seems to have fixed the issue. Oh and btw, that yellow funk is paraffin wax. It was a pita to remove but I got it all and replaced it with OCZ Freeze.
I won't be able to tell what my temps are after doing this for another week or so(until my parts get here) but I'm confident they will be much better than what they would have been otherwise.Edited by bavarianblessed - 5/16/10 at 6:42pm