I decided not to use the existing pass-thru barbs as they would complicate plumbing a little bit for what I have planned..ironic isn't it?
I apologize in advance, a good half of these pictures are very crappy quality because I lost the little adapter for my tripod that screws into the bottom of the camera. Lovely.
First things first, I got a fun toy in. This isn't necessarily crucial to the plumbing right now, but I can only see good things happening in the future because of this purchase...
EZ mode to install, the MCP655 is pretty simple really.
current state of the system...
Love it! lol
Here are some general pre modding shots of the case...
Chiller in the case to help planning...
You may see where this is going. This particular fitting sprung a leak by the way at the elbow below the valve, but thankfully not on the joint for the valve itself. This has since been re soldered, but I haven't had time to test it yet.
Learn2solder noobs. This is me and repo_man. He used half the modding lair on his incredible steampunk mod Vapor Locked
One of the joints post soldering..
Here are a few shots showing how the plumbing will be routed. These were taken during planning, so tubing and piping is hung everywhere with zip ties. The main purpose of this stage was to get a grasp on what I would need to purchase, as I intentionally only purchased enough material to get started (this stuff gets expensive, didn't want to buy more than what I need).
Grocery list made, I dropped by the local hardware store and grabbed a bite to eat on the way home.
Behold, at the particular store that I visited, sexy brass 90Â° elbows were a full 20-30 cents cheaper than the plastic ones that I was going to buy. No plastic here
Pile o' sexy brass.
This is the return line for warm water to the ball valves. This is where not using the pass-thrus really helps, because I was able to put this in a location where it is out of the way of both the chiller and my major hardware.
In case brazing....not the smartest idea.
Valves in the rear. The tape is covering up a nasty multi-layered-multi-colored area that was necessary. I deriveted the mounting brackets that were there originally for the pipe bomb reservoirs, and underneath was nastiness. With the bracket out of the way I could move the valve against the case to give ample room to braze on the other side.
both valves closed. There is clearance for whatever ungodly reason I would do this (dead pumps waiting to happen if this occurred).
That is where it stands right now folks. I still need to do some picture taking and cleaning up of the copper (may skip this, I kind of like the nasty oxidized look depending on how it will affect the lifespan of piping, needs research), and still need to leak test again.
That left most valve had a pretty bad leak but I re-soldered it. Leak test inc.
I love the bitspower pump top for the MCP655, it has a bottom fitting that I used to drain the loop, worked incredibly well.
One thing is for sure....there sure are a whole lot of connections that need clamps.. but considering the amount of 90s and wacky bends, I think going with the copper will pay off in the long run since the number of necessary connections would prob be much higher than it is right now.
Plus, the piping really fits in with my assertive 'function > form' approach to modding.