Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Best RAM for attaining 3 GHZ +
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best RAM for attaining 3 GHZ +

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey all. Here's the deal; 2.4 GHZ on a 333MHZ FSB isn't cutting it anymore.
I plan on stepping up to a 400MHZ very soon. (XP 3000+) Couppling this proc with a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity Motherboard should make for some good overclocking is what I hear. The question is, what do I do for RAM? I need to attain a minimum of 3GHZ, so clearly I am going to need RAM that can handle an FSB of 233x2 minimum. I heard I could either get some good Crucial or OCZ RAM at pc3200 and overclock it, or get some PC4000 or higher, and essentially match my CPU to that speed, or have slightly underclocked RAM, but still pushing the needed FSB to attain speeds of 3 GHZ and higher.

Best RAM to purchase for this solution ???
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4x3r
Hey all. Here's the deal; 2.4 GHZ on a 333MHZ FSB isn't cutting it anymore.
I plan on stepping up to a 400MHZ very soon. (XP 3000+) Couppling this proc with a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity Motherboard should make for some good overclocking is what I hear. The question is, what do I do for RAM? I need to attain a minimum of 3GHZ, so clearly I am going to need RAM that can handle an FSB of 233x2 minimum. I heard I could either get some good Crucial or OCZ RAM at pc3200 and overclock it, or get some PC4000 or higher, and essentially match my CPU to that speed, or have slightly underclocked RAM, but still pushing the needed FSB to attain speeds of 3 GHZ and higher.

Best RAM to purchase for this solution ???
I would say the PC 4000. JMHO. 233x2 for a pc 3200 even for a good OCZ memory is pushing it.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT
I would say the PC 4000. JMHO. 233x2 for a pc 3200 even for a good OCZ memory is pushing it.
Cool. Thanks. I am not going to run in to any problems with (temporarily) underclocking RAM of that speed will I? And does this mean I could / should also go for maybe pc 4400 for an even more stable FSB speed?
post #4 of 6
Your CPU multiplier is 14.5 I think. So in order to reach 3000mhz you would only need to hit: 3000mhz / 14.5 = 207mhz of FSB. SO no you don't need anything more than PC4000. PC3200 would probably work just fine for what you want it to. Corsair XMS PC3200 is good, Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 special is good, ADATA PC4000 is good for very high FSBs and is pretty cheap, OCZ PC3200 Enhanced latency is good. ALso Kingston HyperX PC3200 or PC4000 is good, but I have heard about some of the new sticks not working very well in certain mobos, forget which ones.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.6 GHz Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P Gigabyte 4870 1 GB 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600 GB Seagates Windows XP Pro SP3 Envision CRT Logitech Cordless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone DA850 Black Cheiftec Dragon Logitech Cordless Optical ATK 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.6 GHz Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P Gigabyte 4870 1 GB 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600 GB Seagates Windows XP Pro SP3 Envision CRT Logitech Cordless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone DA850 Black Cheiftec Dragon Logitech Cordless Optical ATK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
GEIL Golden Dragon is my recomendation.memtest in the 9k with a 2.4 cpu. I saw a video on it from 3d gameer or some guy that reviews products and makes web comercials..I sugest you try and find it and take a looksie.he explaies everything about this UNIQE ram and its breakthrough tecnowedgy.And rates it as a big "KICK ASS!!" at the end.
Ill look for the link , hopefuly I get lucky again for you.Pluss it has a red led on each side of the ram moduals simulation a dragon eye! I just got mine and they are SMOKING FAST!!!! also, incase you dont find the review...they oc like buter(easy) and have super high oc values ...I think he said oc'able to 480MHZ!!
http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/geil/gol...eo_review.html
Just built:
Asrock p4s55fx+
Roswill ATI Raedeon 9600LE 256MB
Geil Golden dragon PC3200 Duel channel DDR (2x512)
P4 3.0E prescott 1mb cache
Hitachit 80GB SATA HDD 8mb cache
powermax demon 480w PS
Zalman Copper Heatsink/fan w/ AS5
Compaq DVD drive
3 80mm 4LED case fans w/ thermal monitoring system
Custom built 100% clear Plexiglas case
(soon to have pictures when 100% asembled)
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmster
GEIL Golden Dragon is my recomendation.memtest in the 9k with a 2.4 cpu. I saw a video on it from 3d gameer or some guy that reviews products and makes web comercials..I sugest you try and find it and take a looksie.he explaies everything about this UNIQE ram and its breakthrough tecnowedgy.And rates it as a big "KICK ASS!!" at the end.
Ill look for the link , hopefuly I get lucky again for you.Pluss it has a red led on each side of the ram moduals simulation a dragon eye! I just got mine and they are SMOKING FAST!!!! also, incase you dont find the review...they oc like buter(easy) and have super high oc values ...I think he said oc'able to 480MHZ!!
http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/geil/gol...eo_review.html
Just built:
Asrock p4s55fx+
Roswill ATI Raedeon 9600LE 256MB
Geil Golden dragon PC3200 Duel channel DDR (2x512)
P4 3.0E prescott 1mb cache
Hitachit 80GB SATA HDD 8mb cache
powermax demon 480w PS
Zalman Copper Heatsink/fan w/ AS5
Compaq DVD drive
3 80mm 4LED case fans w/ thermal monitoring system
Custom built 100% clear Plexiglas case
(soon to have pictures when 100% asembled)

Try and find a single product on 3d Game Man.com which he doesn't rate as kick ass. Please, try to. HAHAHAHAHAHA, that guy is a ****ing tool of the case modding society. Send that **** a product, and you instantly have a webpage where someone says you have a good product. **** THAT ****. 3d GAME MAN can take his products and ****ing shove it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Best RAM for attaining 3 GHZ +