Overclock.net banner

Rampage III Extreme X58 Information thread

207K views 2K replies 281 participants last post by  }SkOrPn--' 
#1 ·
The ASUS ROG Rampage III Extreme thread!

Welcome to the Rampage III Extreme information thread! Here you can discuss the board and share your impressive OC's with other clockers!

Quote:
Final specs:

CPU
-Intel® Socket 1366 Core™ i7 Processor/Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Edition

Chipset
-Intel® X58/ICH10R

Memory
- 6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory modules
- Tri Channel memory architecture

Expansion Slots
- 4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 Supports x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x8; x8/x8/x8/x8 configurations
- 1 x PCIe x4
- 1 x PCI 2.2

Storage
Intel® ICH10R Southbridge
-6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports , Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

JMicron® 363 controllers:
- 1 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (Black)
- 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (Red)

LAN
- 1x Gigabit Intel® PHY

Audio
8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC, Support Blu-ray audio layer content protection

USB
NEC® USB 3.0 controller
- 2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (at back I/O)

Intel® ICH10R Southbridge
- 9 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back I/O, 1 port at back I/O reserved for ROG Connect)

Bluetooth Module Accessory Card
-Bluetooth V2.0/V2.1+EDR
-RC Bluetooth On/Off Switch

Clock generator for R3E (useful for setFSB)(courtesy of xxbassplayerxx)
ICS9LPRS926EGLF

Software
-Futuremark 3DMark Vantage Advanced Edition
-Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Form Factor
extended ATX Form Factor: 12 inch x 10.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 26.9 cm )
*The board is 1 inch wider than other ATX boards so check your case for compatibility

Quote:
Features

iROG
Intelligent multiple control at hand
The iROG is a special IC which enables several ROG highlighted functions that gives users full disposal of the motherboard at any stage! This design allows advanced user control and management to be processed purely at a hardware level. iROG greatly increases fun during overclocking for PC enthusiasts and it offers system maintenance and management with more control and efficiency.

USB BIOS Flashback
No worry of BIOS crash anytime!
USB BIOS Flashback must be the most convenient way to flash BIOS ever! It allows overclockers to try their BIOS with the simplest way one can imagine. No need to enter the BIOS or the operating system, just plug the thumb drive into the ROG Connect port & push the ROG Connect button for 2 seconds, BIOS would be automatically flashed under standby power. It´s no doubt that USB BIOS Flashback gives overclockers the ultimate convenience.

Voltiminder LED
Friendly reminder on Voltage Settings
In the pursuit of extreme performance, overvoltage adjustment is critical but risky. Acting as the "red zone" of a tachometer, the Voltiminder LED displays the voltage status for CPU, PCH, and Memory in a intuitive colour-coded fashion. The voltiminder LED allows quick voltage monitoring for overclockers.

Probelt
Get all hands-on with hardware-based overclocking
ProbeIt takes the guesswork out of locating the motherboard´s measurement points, identifying them clearly in the form of 5 sets of detection points so you´ll know exactly where to get quick yet accurate readings using a multimeter.

Extreme Engine Digi+
The implementation of Extreme Engine Digi+ was designed to enable overclockers to push the new generation of CPUs to the limit. The next-generation dynamic multi-phase power management system equipped with high performance ML Caps that ensure a stable power supply during overvoltage by lowering ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance), which successfully delivers the advantage of both analog and digital VRM all in one go, keeping mission-critical components such as the processor, system memory and the Northbridge reliable while maintaining high power efficiency.
- 8-phase CPU power
- 3-phase QPI/DRAM p0wer
- 3-phase NB power
- 3-phase Memory power
- ML caps on CPU, memory and QPI respectively

EZPlug
More power for the power hungry monsters
The Rampage III Extreme comes with two sets of E-ATX 12V, and two sets of 4-pin Molex plugs, delivering enough power for power hungry monster rigs when conducting extreme overclocking.

LN2 Mode
Cold-boot bug is a barrier which overclockers often need to face when conducting subzero overclocking with LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen). When the cold-boot bug occurs, the CPU will no longer POST till it has been warmed up again. The LN2 Mode exclusively supported by Rampage III Extreme enables users to remedy this limitation, delivering non-stop smooth extreme overclocking capability, which makes Rampage III Extreme the perfect choice for all overclockers under LGA1366 platform.

ROG Connect
Plug and overclock - Tweak it the hardcore way!

Bios Flashback
Two BIOS ROM. Two BIOS settings. Twice the overclocking flexibility.

Extreme Tweaker
One stop performance tuning shop

COP Ex
Maximum OC with confidence with burn proof protection to chipsets and GPU!

Loadline Calibration
Optimal power boost for extreme CPU overclocking!

Onboard Switch
No more shorting pins or moving jumpers

ASUS Q-Connector
Make connections quick and accurate

Q-Fan Plus
Optimized quietness and cooling for more devices!

Quote:
Phone support for overclocking:

RC Bluetooth
Overwhelm your acknowledgement with wireless overclocking experience!
System Debug and keyboard-free overclocking have evolved a long way in the past years. However, regardless of any existing design, users still cannot gain the full control the system without either opening up the chassis, or simply getting back to the good old trusty keyboard. Thank to the Forth generation Asus TweakIt technology via the iROG processor, users can now gain the full control of the keyboard-free overclocking and debug tools wirelessly via their very own Bluetooth device anytime, anywhere.

Supported phones
-Windows Mobile 6.1/6.5 based phones
-Android V2.0 or later
-Symbian V3.0 or later
*Fear not, iPhone support will come.

Quote:
Bundle:

1 x ROG Connect Cable
1 x ProbeIt Cable Set
1 x 3-Way SLI Bridge
1 x SLI Cable
1 x CrossFire cable
6 x SATA Cables
2 x SATA 6G Cables
1 x two Port USB 2.0 and eSATA bracket
1 x I/O Shield
1 x Thermal Sensor Pack (for fan header thermal monitoring/speed control)
1 x Cable ties pack
1 x ROG sticker and 1 x Cable label pack
1 x Optional Heatsink and fan (for IOH cooling)
1 x RC Bluetooth module
1 x Support DVD
1 x User Manual

Quote:
Latest BIOS and drivers:

Go HERE.

Select "downloads" then choose OS.

Quote:
BIOS template:

USE: 1005 Bios Template for Copy/Paste

OR:

Target CPU Frequency XXXXMHz
Target DRAM Frequency XXXXMHz

LN2 Mode []***
QPI Loadline Calibration []***

Sync Mode []
AI Overclock Tuner []
OC From CPU level Up []
CPU Ratio Setting []
CPU Turbo Power Limit []

>CPU Configuration----------------------------
CPU Ratio Setting []
C1E Support []
Hardware Prefetcher []
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher []
Intel(R) Virtualiyation Tech []
CPU TM Function []
Execute Disable Bit []
Intel(R) HT Technology []
Active Processor Cores []
A20M []
Intel(R) SpeedStep(TM) Tech []
Intel(R) C-STATE Tech []
C State package limit setting []
----------------------------------------------

BCLK Frequency []
PCIE Frequency []
DRAM Frequency []
UCLK Frequency []
QPI Link Data Rate []

Memory Configuration Protect []

>DRAM Timing Control--------------------------
CAS# Latency []
RAS# to CAS# Delay []
RAS# PRE Time []
RAS# ACT Time []
RAS# to RAS# Delay []
REF Cycle Time []
WRITE Recovery Time []
READ to PRE Time []
FOUR ACT WIN Time []
Back-To-BackCAS# Delay []

Timing Mode []
Round Trip Latency on CHA []
Round Trip Latency on CHB []
Round Trip Latency on CHC []

WRITE To READ Delay(DD) []
WRITE To READ Delay(DR) []
WRITE To READ Delay(SR) []
READ To WRITE Delay(DD) []
READ To WRITE Delay(DR) []
READ To WRITE Delay(SR) []
READ To READ Delay(DD) []
READ To READ Delay(DR) []
READ To READ Delay(SR) []
WRITE To WRITE Delay(DD) []
WRITE To WRITE Delay(DR) []
WRITE To WRITE Delay(SR) []

CPU Differential Amplitude []
CPU Clock Skew []
IOH Clock Skew []
------------ Extreme Engine Digi+ ------------
Digi+ PWR Mode []
PWR Volt. Control []
Load-Line Calibration []
CPU Voltege OCP []
CPU PWM Frequency []

Extreme OV []
Extreme OC []

CPU Voltage []
CPU PLL Voltage []
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage []
DRAM Bus Voltage []

>DRAM REF Voltages----------------------------
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA []
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA []
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB []
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB []
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC []
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC []

IOH Voltage []
IOH PCIE Voltage []

ICH Voltage []
ICH PCIE Voltage []

---------- Spread Spectrum Control -----------
CPU Spread Spectrum []
DRAM Spread Spectrum []

***on-board jumper dependant
Add your overclocks here!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t5UH44_mKyHIlQn7SvbCp0g&w=75&h=500 Google Spreadsheet

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
seems like the classy has some competition.
Ok i just saw this, the RC Poster and RC Remote is by far the coolest thing i have ever seen.
You see the BT module? ASUS said they would develop a iPhone app that can overclock and boot on the fly using bluetooth on the R3E.

#7 ·
My thoughts:

Design = WIN
Overclocking dongle-thingie = WIN
Features = WIN
Price = FAIR all things considered

And now for my nitpick..

I understand slot layout has become very important with all these multi-GPU rigs running around but I HATE when the primary PCIe is jammed all the way to the top like that. A fair number of the P55 boards are like that too. IF you use the top slot the graphics card can get a little close to large coolers UNLESS the socket is moved also which leads to my next point. The socket looks like it's quite high on the board which could again cause problems with big coolers and certain cases. I personally much prefer the low-slung socket and slots of the previous incarnation of this board. Multi-GPU slot layout sucked but that's not relevant to my interests

#8 ·
#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
I'm looking forward to the ROG Connect’s RC Bluetooth feature which eill be included on their ROG boards:

YouTube- ASUS ROG Extreme series features: RC Bluetooth & USB BIOS flashback!
That hardware monitor seems a bit gimmicky but the ability to turn your computer on from your cell phone (also a bit gimmicky) as you enter your house seems pretty awesome to me. By the time you're already comfortable your rig is up and running and waiting for you so +1 for saving the min it would normally take. The ability to flash your bios back to an earlier state with the press of a button and a usb stick is what impressed me the most and it really is an amazing feature. I might consider upgrading in a few months if theres ever a possible price drop or sale

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Killer
View Post

So are no NF200 in the final build? I have an X-Fire setup so if I run my 8800GT as a physx card and an asus xonar essence on the other x16 slots its gonna be switched to x8/x8/x8/x8 or do I have a choice in the BIOS to how it's switched?

NF200 would be a deal killer for me because i want that chip on any board i buy.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

NF200 would be a deal killer for me because i want that chip on any board i buy.

I had the ASUS WS P6T7 motherboard in hand, and I chose the R2E over it. The NF200 will only really be utilized for workstations as 3-card setups seem to run pretty poorly. I sold the P6T7 and stuck with the R2E because of all the other features the ROG boards offer. I wouldn't discount the R3E just because it doesnt have an NF200. The board does have a PLX bridge chip which seems to act like the NF200. After all, you can run 3 cards with x16 lanes.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

I had the ASUS WS P6T7 motherboard in hand, and I chose the R2E over it. The NF200 will only really be utilized for workstations as 3-card setups seem to run pretty poorly. I sold the P6T7 and stuch with the R2E because of all the other features the ROG boards offer. I wouldn't discount the R3E just because it doesnt have an NF200. The board does have a PLX bridge chip which seems to act like the NF200. After all, you can run 3 cards with x16 lanes.

Very good points eric. Anything more then 3 cards really isn't even needed these days

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by damtachoa
View Post

I like everything about this board except the integrated audio.

Thats why you buy an new sound card!
The SupremeFX is just onboard anyway, the "X-fi" SupremeFX just emulates EAX. The card uses an onboard realtek chip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 006
View Post

I hope they release it soon, i desperately want one now.

Me too
Slated for release in april.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

I had the ASUS WS P6T7 motherboard in hand, and I chose the R2E over it. The NF200 will only really be utilized for workstations as 3-card setups seem to run pretty poorly. I sold the P6T7 and stuck with the R2E because of all the other features the ROG boards offer. I wouldn't discount the R3E just because it doesnt have an NF200. The board does have a PLX bridge chip which seems to act like the NF200. After all, you can run 3 cards with x16 lanes.

Good points, but... everything I've read points to the Rampage III Extreme having the nF200 bridge for the graphics cards, not a PLX bridge.

Edit; caught up on the topic on other forums, looks like they cut out the nF200 bridge. Still, there's the possibility that they'll have a revision later with the bridge in place. However I haven't been able to determine if there's a PLX bridge or not... I would assume so since USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0Gbps would be using tons of bandwidth.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

Good points, but... everything I've read points to the Rampage III Extreme having the nF200 bridge for the graphics cards, not a PLX bridge.

Some guy at XS has 2 revisions of the board, one with nF200 and one without nF200. He said ASUS took away the chip and replaced it. There are a lot of pictures of the R3E with the nF200 on it though.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmaz42o View Post
Do you know when in April? Like beginning or end? I'm returning my RIIG next weekend, so I'm hoping I can get the RIIIE as soon after as possible. Oh well, another waiting game.

Quote:
The Newest and Badest Rampage Board will be coming to the shelves in April.
Thats from a moderator on the official ASUS forums, although thats all we know.

#26 ·
Kind of sucks this board won't fit in my ATX case.. I had the Rampage II Extreme before, but couldn't really stand the only hulking case I had that would fit extended ATX board.
I kind of wonder why R3E has molex connectors? Is this for GPU power or for the NF200 chip(s), any ideas? Hardwarecanucks link says "voltage stability" for the one on the bottom, but what about the one near cpu?

Wish I could trade/get a P6X58D, but I'll stick with this P6T Deluxe V2 for now, which actually fits in the case I like!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.