Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › * The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club *
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

* The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club * - Page 345

post #3441 of 3688
Well just found out that an incompatibility between processor and BIOS gives the same exact problem, basically nothing will be posting/showing, i.e. a black screen, så the same symptoms. I might try and buy a cheap i7-920 to check this out after all, before soldering stuff off and on to the motherboard....
post #3442 of 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittornado View Post

Just wanted to give an update to this issue.

Still no solution to my problem. Although it occurred to me that even if my board does have a bios F2 backup version it's trying to read from, that early F2 bios version might be too old for my i7-980x processor.

So I checked on the Gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD7 Rev 1.0 processor compatibility page, and it seems to be a bummer, since 980x requires at least a F3 bios version to work frown.gif
In other words, even if the board IS actually trying to kick in my back up bios, due to it being the older F2 version, not compatible with my i7-980x processor, it wouldn't work anyway.

Just for comparison, it turns out that the i7-920 would work with F2, but for example i7-930 requires F5!
And guess if I have an i7-930 lying around somewhere too...and still that wouldn't help me.
Had I owned a 920, 940, 950 or even a 960, they ALL would have been compatible with the F2 bios version backup.
Talk about being unlucky here.....

Now my question is:
IF that might be the problem, i.e. my bios actually would try to revert back to the F2 version, but is not able to recognize my 980x processor, would the symptom be the exact same thing as I'm experiencing right now? I mean would the screen just keep being black right from the beginning? If this is a processor incompatibility issue due to the F2 bios version, and NOT that the board isn't able to read from the backup bios, wouldn't it still show nothing at all? No post, nothing? Is there a way to distinguish which might be the main problem here, my processor or the backup bios not kicking in??

If it might be the processor, then I might be able to find a plain and simple cheap i7-920 to put in as it would be compatible with F2 bios version.
But I'm not sure if the board still wouldn't post anything if this was only a processor issue not being compatible with the F2 backup bios version trying to kick in, or if the backup bios does not kick in at all...

Any ideas anyone? I have not encountered a bios/processor incompatibility issue before so I don't know whether comp would even post or not in such situation.
Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittornado View Post

Well just found out that an incompatibility between processor and BIOS gives the same exact problem, basically nothing will be posting/showing, i.e. a black screen, så the same symptoms. I might try and buy a cheap i7-920 to check this out after all, before soldering stuff off and on to the motherboard....

wow did not know that, luckily i have a 920 in my drawer for backup, i wish i can lend you mine, but ur more likely able to find a cheap one off ebay than me shipping all the way to europe. last time i checked a 920 is about 20-30 bucks, which should be 15 euros for u?
x58
(14 items)
 
x99
(12 items)
 
Mac Pro 4.1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 4.4ghz @1.3v gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev1 EVGA GTX 1070 Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 1600mhz 1.35v CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
480gb m.2 Kingston Hyperx Predator  Cryorig R1 Universal window 10 Home x64  Dell P2715Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 MX Blue Corsair TX850 Watt Corsair Obisidian 800D logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
corsair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K GIGABYTE GA-X99M-GAMING 5 AMD fury X (soon)  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Cryorig R1 universal  Windows 10  Dell p2715Q 4k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 RGB MX Brown EVGA G2 850 watt Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube  logitech g502 
CPUCPUGraphicsRAM
xeon 5500 xeon 5500 gtx 260 samsung ecc 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Yosemite  dell 27 4k IPS 60hz logitech wireless solar keyboard logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
x58
(14 items)
 
x99
(12 items)
 
Mac Pro 4.1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 4.4ghz @1.3v gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev1 EVGA GTX 1070 Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 1600mhz 1.35v CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
480gb m.2 Kingston Hyperx Predator  Cryorig R1 Universal window 10 Home x64  Dell P2715Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 MX Blue Corsair TX850 Watt Corsair Obisidian 800D logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
corsair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K GIGABYTE GA-X99M-GAMING 5 AMD fury X (soon)  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Cryorig R1 universal  Windows 10  Dell p2715Q 4k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 RGB MX Brown EVGA G2 850 watt Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube  logitech g502 
CPUCPUGraphicsRAM
xeon 5500 xeon 5500 gtx 260 samsung ecc 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Yosemite  dell 27 4k IPS 60hz logitech wireless solar keyboard logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3443 of 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittornado View Post

Just wanted to give an update to this issue.

Still no solution to my problem. Although it occurred to me that even if my board does have a bios F2 backup version it's trying to read from, that early F2 bios version might be too old for my i7-980x processor.

So I checked on the Gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD7 Rev 1.0 processor compatibility page, and it seems to be a bummer, since 980x requires at least a F3 bios version to work frown.gif
In other words, even if the board IS actually trying to kick in my back up bios, due to it being the older F2 version, not compatible with my i7-980x processor, it wouldn't work anyway.

Just for comparison, it turns out that the i7-920 would work with F2, but for example i7-930 requires F5!
And guess if I have an i7-930 lying around somewhere too...and still that wouldn't help me.
Had I owned a 920, 940, 950 or even a 960, they ALL would have been compatible with the F2 bios version backup.
Talk about being unlucky here.....

Now my question is:
IF that might be the problem, i.e. my bios actually would try to revert back to the F2 version, but is not able to recognize my 980x processor, would the symptom be the exact same thing as I'm experiencing right now? I mean would the screen just keep being black right from the beginning? If this is a processor incompatibility issue due to the F2 bios version, and NOT that the board isn't able to read from the backup bios, wouldn't it still show nothing at all? No post, nothing? Is there a way to distinguish which might be the main problem here, my processor or the backup bios not kicking in??

If it might be the processor, then I might be able to find a plain and simple cheap i7-920 to put in as it would be compatible with F2 bios version.
But I'm not sure if the board still wouldn't post anything if this was only a processor issue not being compatible with the F2 backup bios version trying to kick in, or if the backup bios does not kick in at all...

Any ideas anyone? I have not encountered a bios/processor incompatibility issue before so I don't know whether comp would even post or not in such situation.
Any help would be appreciated.


It is possible that the 930 would work as its the same chip as the 920 just higher binned it might allow it to post and just think its an 920 or 950 even though the microcodes don't match it us worth a try still seeing as you don't have an working system right now any way
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3444 of 3688
Well guys, time for a new update on my earlier issue smile.gif

I followed weespid's advice and installed the i7-930 I have in my possession to try it out with my supposedly bricked mobo... well the LED debug display on board actually gave me another error message this time than before, but the bios did not post frown.gif

So it still might be due to that maybe my i7-930 is binned in a way so that a F2 bios version doesn't recognize it.

Yesterday I decided to bite the dust and placed a couple of bids on a used i7-920 so I won the bidding process and have now made the payment...so let's see whether I do receive the desired processor to test that one out as well. If this doesn't solve my problem then I'm likely to order a new bios chip and ask someone with soldering help as I can not do it by myself.

I regret deeply that I never got around to update my back up bios to a newer version frown.gif But as long as it works with the i7-920 I'll be satisfied anyway! It did cost me some serious money to buy the damn thing but hey, what do you do smile.gif

I'll let you guys know how it goes smile.gif
post #3445 of 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittornado View Post

Well guys, time for a new update on my earlier issue smile.gif

I followed weespid's advice and installed the i7-930 I have in my possession to try it out with my supposedly bricked mobo... well the LED debug display on board actually gave me another error message this time than before, but the bios did not post frown.gif

So it still might be due to that maybe my i7-930 is binned in a way so that a F2 bios version doesn't recognize it.

Yesterday I decided to bite the dust and placed a couple of bids on a used i7-920 so I won the bidding process and have now made the payment...so let's see whether I do receive the desired processor to test that one out as well. If this doesn't solve my problem then I'm likely to order a new bios chip and ask someone with soldering help as I can not do it by myself.

I regret deeply that I never got around to update my back up bios to a newer version frown.gif But as long as it works with the i7-920 I'll be satisfied anyway! It did cost me some serious money to buy the damn thing but hey, what do you do smile.gif

I'll let you guys know how it goes smile.gif


sucks to see that it did not work nice to see that there is some progression with getting the debug led to out put something by any chance do you know what code it gave you
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3446 of 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittornado View Post

Well just found out that an incompatibility between processor and BIOS gives the same exact problem, basically nothing will be posting/showing, i.e. a black screen, så the same symptoms. I might try and buy a cheap i7-920 to check this out after all, before soldering stuff off and on to the motherboard....

any updates on this issue whil i was just looking up some thing completely different and came across this thread on tweek town http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html

there are some methods to disable the main bios chip with out slodering on there before you go out and try to switch the chips
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
Time Tester
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600@ 4.1ghz gigabyte p67A-ud3 b2 needs 1.38v on pch for sat... R9 290 Gskill ddr3 1600 cl 7-7-7-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120gb referb corsair ssd segate1tb 7200rpm segate 3tb 7200 rpm standerd dvd burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
lga 1366 i7 920 stock cooler Windows 10 pro 64bit dell 76hz oc FATRON E2442 74hz oc 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samgsung SyncMaster S24b150 77 hz oc razer blackwidow seasonic x 650 coolermaster 690 II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T 7 RAZER GOLIATHUS maranz amp boston spekers  
Audio
sony mdr-v3 80's vintage 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
fx 8350 asrock 990fx extreme9 6970 flashed to be an 6950 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
pratroit  scrap 320gb hdd scrap 1tb hdd cooler master hyper 212 evo+  
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 hp 64bit ibm rubber dome corsair cx 750 corsair air 500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3447 of 3688
Quote:
Originally Posted by weespid View Post

any updates on this issue whil i was just looking up some thing completely different and came across this thread on tweek town http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html

there are some methods to disable the main bios chip with out slodering on there before you go out and try to switch the chips

Hi guys,

I have now tried everything in my power to restart my motherboard and make it to post from the spare BIOS chip. NO LUCK frown.gif
I have now tried both i7-930 and i7-920.

It gives me a LED debug code of b8/68 which according to some other threads should mean CPU incompatibility.
But how on earth can my mobo be incompatible with an i7-920 latest stepping? This makes no sense.
And even less so that the mobo is unable to revert back to its damn spare BIOS chip when it apparently fails to post from the main BIOS.
I know for a fact that I have a F2 BIOS version on my spare BIOS chip.... but it just won't go there.

I have tried every possible trick possible now according to youtube and shoring of pins and power button / PSU on/off etc etc etc...but nothing.
It gives me the b8/68 error code, then hangs there for about 30 sec, and then tries to restart...C0, C1....b8/68.
And goes round and round and round like that, with no picture at all whatsoever on the display frown.gif

Damn it. I don't understand this issue....plz, anyone with a better knowledge here with some help please?
post #3448 of 3688
Hi guys, so I just bought a Samsung 850 pro 256gb and cannot get the 6gb ports to work. I have been running this PC build since 2010, originally did a 4 x 500gb raid 0 setup for speed (achieved a lousy 6.2 wei and was NEVER impressed with hdd speeds) anyways, I am ready for the speed increase of the Sammy 850 Pro but can only get around 55% rate speeds due to the 3gb sata 2 limitations (from the magician software, stating i am running at 3gb port speeds). When I try and utilize the sata 3 port, nothing is even recognized, nothing detected, nothing seen (in bios or elsewhere)

So, regardless of marvell drivers, shouldn't a SSD be at least seen in bios when attached to sata 3 port? (nothing is detected in either port) or do correct drivers need to be installed first which I can't seem to get any drivers to work from gigabyte's (marvell) site. I am running latest F7 bios.

Thanks!
riz
post #3449 of 3688
Hey guys, I want to pick up one of the Gigabyte boards and wanted to know of all the different versions which one is the better one for overclocking? I think I am stuck between the UD3r or the UD7
post #3450 of 3688
ud7 have been very stable for me. alot of options i just leave it on auto and the board does the rest. it depends on the price if ud3r is considerably cheaper get it but if ud7 is not that much more get the ud7.

ud7 have better chipset cooling.
x58
(14 items)
 
x99
(12 items)
 
Mac Pro 4.1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 4.4ghz @1.3v gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev1 EVGA GTX 1070 Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 1600mhz 1.35v CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
480gb m.2 Kingston Hyperx Predator  Cryorig R1 Universal window 10 Home x64  Dell P2715Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 MX Blue Corsair TX850 Watt Corsair Obisidian 800D logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
corsair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K GIGABYTE GA-X99M-GAMING 5 AMD fury X (soon)  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Cryorig R1 universal  Windows 10  Dell p2715Q 4k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 RGB MX Brown EVGA G2 850 watt Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube  logitech g502 
CPUCPUGraphicsRAM
xeon 5500 xeon 5500 gtx 260 samsung ecc 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Yosemite  dell 27 4k IPS 60hz logitech wireless solar keyboard logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
x58
(14 items)
 
x99
(12 items)
 
Mac Pro 4.1
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5675 4.4ghz @1.3v gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev1 EVGA GTX 1070 Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 1600mhz 1.35v CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
480gb m.2 Kingston Hyperx Predator  Cryorig R1 Universal window 10 Home x64  Dell P2715Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 MX Blue Corsair TX850 Watt Corsair Obisidian 800D logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
corsair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K GIGABYTE GA-X99M-GAMING 5 AMD fury X (soon)  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Cryorig R1 universal  Windows 10  Dell p2715Q 4k 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair k95 RGB MX Brown EVGA G2 850 watt Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube  logitech g502 
CPUCPUGraphicsRAM
xeon 5500 xeon 5500 gtx 260 samsung ecc 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Yosemite  dell 27 4k IPS 60hz logitech wireless solar keyboard logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › * The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club *