Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First build, advice welcome!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First build, advice welcome! - Page 3

post #21 of 39
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-019-_-Product for psu
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valderag View Post
So I have bought some of these parts, as noted by underline. This was built around the 790FX chipset and I plan to upgrade this system over time as needed. I just want a fairly strong start with a good bang for my buck. I'll be buying the remaining parts shortly when I get my tax return. I've pretty much maxed out how much money I can spend on this without causing problems for myself, lol. Here we go:

Case: NZXT M59
CPU: ATI Phenom II X2 555 BE (Unlock to X4 B55)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
RAM: OCZ AMD Black Edition 2x2GB DDR3
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream PRO 500W
HDD: 2x WD Caviar Green 500GB (RAID 0)
DVD: Generic Multi-Burner
Cooling: 3x 120mm fan, 2x 140mm fan

Future Upgrades: Corsair Hydro Series H50, SSD for boot drive, doubling the RAM, upgrading PSU when needed, Blu-Ray Drive/Burner, and putting a second 5670 1GB in.

Anybody have any input?
You've been misled if you're expecting the dual core to unlock to a quad. It's very possible, but it is by no means guaranteed. Also, I'm a fan of a single more powerful card than dual gpu solutions. If it were me, I'd look for an Open Box or used 4890. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 39
lol I havent started my first build yet. I got a $4000 budget and I'm sleeving my psu. ):

I'm scared I might *** up lol.

:|

Core i7 930
Rampage III Extreme
2 x 5830
H50
Two 23" LCD
6GB 1866 MHz Corsair Dominator GT
800D as case
BD-Burner
HX1000w
Fatal1ty Titanium Sound Card
Maybe an SDD

Anything I should add? o-o
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980X ASUS Rampage III Extreme ATI 5970 x 2 (geForce GTS 250 for PhysX) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 6GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB SSD & 1TB HDD x 2 BluRay Burner & DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23"+ Asus x 3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
idk yet Corsair AX1200w Corsair Obsidian 800D idk yet 
Mouse Pad
idk yet 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980X ASUS Rampage III Extreme ATI 5970 x 2 (geForce GTS 250 for PhysX) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 6GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB SSD & 1TB HDD x 2 BluRay Burner & DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23"+ Asus x 3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
idk yet Corsair AX1200w Corsair Obsidian 800D idk yet 
Mouse Pad
idk yet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPrizes View Post
lol I havent started my first build yet. I got a $4000 budget and I'm sleeving my psu. ):

I'm scared I might *** up lol.

:|

Core i7 930
Rampage III Extreme
2 x 5830
H50
Two 23" LCD
6GB 1866 MHz Corsair Dominator GT
800D as case
BD-Burner
HX1000w
Fatal1ty Titanium Sound Card
Maybe an SDD

Anything I should add? o-o
Wow, for $4000 you can build a serious rig.

The components listed there showed intentions of you buying the best of the best, however I think the graphics card choice is seriously letting you down, for your budget I think I'd be looking at dual 5870's or GTX 480's.

Also, Corsair Dominator GT RAM is very expensive, the 2000mhz G.Skill Tridents are a great alternitve as they can be tightened to CAS7 timings at 1600mhz.

As for the sound card, the RIIIE will almost certainly come with its' own Creative X-Fi sound card, however I opted to leave that in the box of my RIIE and buy the Asus D2X, and I'm really very impressed with it. I used to have a Creative Audigy 2ZS in my old rig, but coupled with some nice speakers the difference between that and my new Asus is significant.

Finally, if you're spending $4000 on a super-build, I think you would be doing it an injustice not to have SSD's. You could probably get a RAID card and RAID0 2 of the SATA6gb/s SSD's and then prepare to pick your jaw up from the floor as you experience the speed in amazement.

Hope a few of these points are of some help to you.

Best of luck with the build.
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshoooter82 View Post
get the gigabyte ud4p
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshoooter82 View Post
I have already bought both an AMD processor and my PSU. In fact, I've kind of built this entire system (as shown) around the 790FX chipset, so that kind of makes the Intel MoBo out of place. Thanks for the input, but I've already made my choices in those departments. I'll eventually upgrade to a larger PSU, but this is all I need for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
You've been misled if you're expecting the dual core to unlock to a quad. It's very possible, but it is by no means guaranteed. Also, I'm a fan of a single more powerful card than dual gpu solutions. If it were me, I'd look for an Open Box or used 4890. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy
Yes, I'm aware that it won't necessarily unlock to X4. I'm hoping though, since I have heard Micro Center's CPUs have a higher chance of unlocking, and that is where I got it.
As for the 4890, I considered this but have ultimately decided against that due to the fact that I'd like to get as much longevity out of this system as possible, and that requires getting DX11, so no 4000 series for me.

Thank you both for your input!
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Scott View Post
Wow, for $4000 you can build a serious rig.

The components listed there showed intentions of you buying the best of the best, however I think the graphics card choice is seriously letting you down, for your budget I think I'd be looking at dual 5870's or GTX 480's.

Also, Corsair Dominator GT RAM is very expensive, the 2000mhz G.Skill Tridents are a great alternitve as they can be tightened to CAS7 timings at 1600mhz.

As for the sound card, the RIIIE will almost certainly come with its' own Creative X-Fi sound card, however I opted to leave that in the box of my RIIE and buy the Asus D2X, and I'm really very impressed with it. I used to have a Creative Audigy 2ZS in my old rig, but coupled with some nice speakers the difference between that and my new Asus is significant.

Finally, if you're spending $4000 on a super-build, I think you would be doing it an injustice not to have SSD's. You could probably get a RAID card and RAID0 2 of the SATA6gb/s SSD's and then prepare to pick your jaw up from the floor as you experience the speed in amazement.

Hope a few of these points are of some help to you.

Best of luck with the build.
I think I'll probably wait a little because I heard Intel was discontinuing the 920... lol I'll wait till they release a new line of CPUs I guess... I don't want them dropping support and then I got an outdated CPU. Also, I heard that the RIIIE would just have on-board audio.
Edited by CoolPrizes - 4/10/10 at 1:45pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980X ASUS Rampage III Extreme ATI 5970 x 2 (geForce GTS 250 for PhysX) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 6GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB SSD & 1TB HDD x 2 BluRay Burner & DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23"+ Asus x 3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
idk yet Corsair AX1200w Corsair Obsidian 800D idk yet 
Mouse Pad
idk yet 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980X ASUS Rampage III Extreme ATI 5970 x 2 (geForce GTS 250 for PhysX) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 6GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64GB SSD & 1TB HDD x 2 BluRay Burner & DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 23"+ Asus x 3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
idk yet Corsair AX1200w Corsair Obsidian 800D idk yet 
Mouse Pad
idk yet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPrizes View Post
I think I'll probably wait a little because I heard Intel was discontinuing the 920... lol I'll wait till they release a new line of CPUs I guess... I don't want them dropping support and then I got an outdated CPU. Also, I heard that the RIIIE would just have on-board audio.
The i7 920 has been discontinued and replaced, by the 930. The 930 will remain in the Intel line up until Q1 2011 at least, and will be fully supported long after that I would imagine.
post #28 of 39
apparently the 890 chipsets have acc taken out and i wouldnt even bother with crossfire 5670's. a single 5770 owns it and its cheaper and later on you can buy another one and have a awsome puter that performs better than having a single 5870 and upgrade the psu if your ever planning on xfire 500 wont be enough unless you have the 2 5670's then it may just scrap by
post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0m0_202 View Post
apparently the 890 chipsets have acc taken out and i wouldnt even bother with crossfire 5670's. a single 5770 owns it and its cheaper and later on you can buy another one and have a awsome puter that performs better than having a single 5870 and upgrade the psu if your ever planning on xfire 500 wont be enough unless you have the 2 5670's then it may just scrap by
Well crap. I looked around online and there seems to be a decent argument about whether or not the 890FX boards will have ACC. The 890FX-GD70 states right on the board that it has ACC, so who knows. I guess I'll have to wait until they come out to make my final decision on these boards. I can't use the GA-890FXA-UD7 since it is huge, so as for the 890FX boards, I'm between the MSi 890FX-GD70 and the GA-890FXA-UD5. Or, if there isn't a good answer to the removal of ACC, then I'll just stick with the GA-790FXTA-UD5. We shall see.
About the GPUs, yeah, I decided on a 5770 over a 5670. Awesome puter FTW! I'll probably eventually switch up to a 1000W or something so it is ridiculously future-proofed.
Edited by Valderag - 4/11/10 at 9:47am
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 
Well, I finally found my camera's charger. Pics of what I have now will be up tomorrow probably.
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
Prometheus
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASUS M5A99X EVO XFX XXX Radeon HD 5770 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ AMD Black Edition DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO Samsung Spinpoint F3 Sony Optiarc Multi DVD Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Razer TRON Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT. M59 Razer TRON Razer TRON SteelSeries 5Hv2 
Other
ASUS PCE-N53 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First build, advice welcome!