Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Best audiophile quality headphones for gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best audiophile quality headphones for gaming?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hey guys and gals,
I just got my asus essence stx and I am trying to decide which pair of headphones I should pair with it. I was set on getting the ad700's because I hear that they are great for gaming, especially paired with an stx but I wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Which pair of headphones has the most accurate positioning paired with the best quality sound that doesn't mind being driven by an amp?
Thanks all!
post #2 of 28
The AD700s are amazing gaming headphones. They're also supremely comfortable. (I wear mine for hours a day.)

I'd recommend these if all you're going to be doing is gaming.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 at 4.5GHz, HT on EVGA X58 SLI LE ASUS 7970 TOP Crucial Ballistix Tracers, 6GB, 1720MHz, 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Force 3, 2 Samsung F3 500GB in RAID 0, WD... Sony  Windows 7 64 bit LG W2452TX - 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Antec TruePower New 650W (SeaSonic) Clemens 004 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
XTrac Ripper XXL Musliand Monitor 02 Alessandro MS1/JVC RX700 Tannoy Bookshelf Speakers 
Audio
Samson Servo 120A Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 at 4.5GHz, HT on EVGA X58 SLI LE ASUS 7970 TOP Crucial Ballistix Tracers, 6GB, 1720MHz, 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Force 3, 2 Samsung F3 500GB in RAID 0, WD... Sony  Windows 7 64 bit LG W2452TX - 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Antec TruePower New 650W (SeaSonic) Clemens 004 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
XTrac Ripper XXL Musliand Monitor 02 Alessandro MS1/JVC RX700 Tannoy Bookshelf Speakers 
Audio
Samson Servo 120A Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 28
I really wanted a mic built in so I bought the Sennheiser PC350's.

They are comfortable and sound great. The mic clarity is amazing for the people on the other end.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
The AD700s are amazing gaming headphones. They're also supremely comfortable. (I wear mine for hours a day.)

I'd recommend these if all you're going to be doing is gaming.
Yep, the AD700s tend to have more base than their competitor, the also well recommended Sennheiser 550s, which is great for gaming.
Balder
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) Tri-SLI GTX 480s 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) 2x Dell 3007wfp (2560x1600) Corsair k90 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Corsair 600t white Logitech g500 Sennheiser HD 650 / Ascend Acoustics 340SE + SV... 
AudioAudio
Auzentech HomeTheater hd Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
Balder
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) Tri-SLI GTX 480s 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) 2x Dell 3007wfp (2560x1600) Corsair k90 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Corsair 600t white Logitech g500 Sennheiser HD 650 / Ascend Acoustics 340SE + SV... 
AudioAudio
Auzentech HomeTheater hd Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
The AD700s are amazing gaming headphones. They're also supremely comfortable. (I wear mine for hours a day.)

I'd recommend these if all you're going to be doing is gaming.
Well, that's what i'll mostly be doing on my headphones, i'll use my a2's for movies and music(most of the time).
post #6 of 28
For that price, the Shure SH440 would also be an excellent choice. However, if you are willing to spend more, the Shure SRH840 would be

The nice thing about Shure's is that they offer a very clean and balanced sound output. It does not exaggerate certain frequencies. It does not have too much or too little of a given frequency.
Black Dog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel i7 4770K] [Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H] [Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x] [Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1867 MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung 840 EVO 250GB] [Spinpoint F3 1TB] [Samsung SH-S223Q] [Corsair H110] 
OSMonitorPowerCase
[Windows 8.1 x64] [ASUS VW247H] [Corsair HX620] [Corsair Carbide 500R] 
Audio
[Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini -> Shure SRH940] 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Dog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel i7 4770K] [Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H] [Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x] [Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1867 MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung 840 EVO 250GB] [Spinpoint F3 1TB] [Samsung SH-S223Q] [Corsair H110] 
OSMonitorPowerCase
[Windows 8.1 x64] [ASUS VW247H] [Corsair HX620] [Corsair Carbide 500R] 
Audio
[Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini -> Shure SRH940] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
Do you need them to be closed (isolate sound)? If not, the AD700s are great headphones. Otherwise, you might want to look at the A700s if there will be people around you or others that might be bothered by hearing your games and music.
Gunmetal Tower
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Asus GTX 580 Patriot G2 DDR3 1866MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 256GB Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB LG DVD Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit Dell u2410 Dell 1907FPc  Ducky 9008-G2 Browns and Reds 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
ABS SL1050 1050W Antec P280 Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo Audio Technica ATH-A900X Audio Technica ATH-AD900 M-Audio AV 40 
OtherOtherOther
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone APC Back-UPS XS 1500 Wacom Intuos4 
  hide details  
Reply
Gunmetal Tower
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Asus GTX 580 Patriot G2 DDR3 1866MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 256GB Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB LG DVD Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit Dell u2410 Dell 1907FPc  Ducky 9008-G2 Browns and Reds 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
ABS SL1050 1050W Antec P280 Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo Audio Technica ATH-A900X Audio Technica ATH-AD900 M-Audio AV 40 
OtherOtherOther
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone APC Back-UPS XS 1500 Wacom Intuos4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzâ„¢ View Post
I really wanted a mic built in so I bought the Sennheiser PC350's.

They are comfortable and sound great. The mic clarity is amazing for the people on the other end.
The mic being attached isn't that big of a deal, I was planning on just buying one of those zalman clip on mics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
Yep, the AD700s tend to have more base than their competitor, the also well recommended Sennheiser 550s, which is great for gaming.
So you would recommend the ad700's over the sennheiser's?
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post
Hey guys and gals,
I just got my asus essence stx and I am trying to decide which pair of headphones I should pair with it. I was set on getting the ad700's because I hear that they are great for gaming, especially paired with an stx but I wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Which pair of headphones has the most accurate positioning paired with the best quality sound that doesn't mind being driven by an amp?
Thanks all!
AD700's. That's all I think you should get.
Move On It v2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P XFX Radeon HD 5750 G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 500GB WD + 160 WD + 500GB WD + 1TB WD DVD/Lightscribe Burner Thermaltake Big Typhoon 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7/ Windows XP Pro Performance Edition HANNspree HF229H 22" Dell AT101W SevenTeam ST-750ZAF 750W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 Microsoft SideWinder X5 Nova Master Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
Move On It v2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P XFX Radeon HD 5750 G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Pi F2-8800CL5-2GBPI 500GB WD + 160 WD + 500GB WD + 1TB WD DVD/Lightscribe Burner Thermaltake Big Typhoon 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7/ Windows XP Pro Performance Edition HANNspree HF229H 22" Dell AT101W SevenTeam ST-750ZAF 750W Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 Microsoft SideWinder X5 Nova Master Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizmo View Post
For that price, the Shure SH440 would also be an excellent choice. However, if you are willing to spend more, the Shure SRH840 would be

The nice thing about Shure's is that they offer a very clean and balanced sound output. It does not exaggerate certain frequencies. It does not have too much or too little of a given frequency.
Does anyone have any opinion when it comes to these shure headphones against the ad700's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Do you need them to be closed (isolate sound)? If not, the AD700s are great headphones. Otherwise, you might want to look at the A700s if there will be people around you or others that might be bothered by hearing your games and music.
I'm more concerned with the sound quality than bothering someone else which is unlikely to happen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Best audiophile quality headphones for gaming?