Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Looking to upgrade my GPU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to upgrade my GPU - Page 2

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbasil1
your best bang for buch like gt said will be the 6600gt, it will be an amazing imporvement over the card u have now, and will last for years to come....
i wouldnt exactly say "years to come" gaming wise maybe like 2 years "BUT FOR WATCHING MOVIES VIDEOS ETC... HECKA YES" . lol i guess u didnt see that part sorry
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT!
i wouldnt exactly say "years to come" gaming wise maybe like 2 years but for just watching movies and videos etc HECKA YES.. lol
well he stated that he is not a serious gamer... and moreso a media player.... so the 6600gt will serve him for years to come...
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies all of you.
The store I buy from is http://www.microdirect.co.uk
so if you could check it and see what you could find in there.

I am not disappointed by my current GPU which is 5 years old with almost 24/7 use. So you can see that I am not looking for cutting edge stuff. It is just missing that kick...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.4GHz 478socket ASUS P4P800S-X MS Windows XP prof SP2 AMW LCD 17' 8ms 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Logitech wireless combo Thermaltake PSU 480W Logitech wireless combo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.4GHz 478socket ASUS P4P800S-X MS Windows XP prof SP2 AMW LCD 17' 8ms 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Logitech wireless combo Thermaltake PSU 480W Logitech wireless combo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 27
i would really advise getting this its nice http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...81&GroupID=331 and its pretty cheap to... but if you wanna waste your cash on a 5 series get this http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...64&GroupID=331 it stinks... but if you wanna pay a lil more than the first one get this http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...2&GroupID=1269 and also make sure you have these drivers downloaded http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html and your good to go .... nothing else is needed but that ram posted earlier on the page and you will have a great multimedia experiance
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT!
i would really advise getting this its nice http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...81&GroupID=331 and its pretty cheap to... but if you wanna waste your cash on a 5 series get this http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...64&GroupID=331 it stinks... but if you wanna pay a lil more than the first one get this http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...2&GroupID=1269 and also make sure you have these drivers downloaded http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html and your good to go .... nothing else is needed but that ram posted earlier on the page and you will have a great multimedia experiance
Thank you for making the effort. I have two questions if you don't mind.
1) What is the difference between Leadtek and GeForce? Is it something I should worry about?
2) Is the difference between the 5500 and the 6600gt that much to justify almost 3 times higher price?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.4GHz 478socket ASUS P4P800S-X MS Windows XP prof SP2 AMW LCD 17' 8ms 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Logitech wireless combo Thermaltake PSU 480W Logitech wireless combo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.4GHz 478socket ASUS P4P800S-X MS Windows XP prof SP2 AMW LCD 17' 8ms 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Logitech wireless combo Thermaltake PSU 480W Logitech wireless combo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 27
you wont find shader model 3 on any fx 5500 card. also you wont find any of the picture quality advancements in that fx 5500 card either. its well worth the price and if you buy the fx 5500 its just a waste of cash really. leadtek is a nvidia gpu resailer, and geforce is just lol the part of the name of the graphics card . really just trust me on this if you dont you will be dissapointed no worries tho... just advice
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT!
you wont find shader model 3 on any fx 5500 card. also you wont find any of the picture quality advancements in that fx 5500 card either. its well worth the price and if you buy the fx 5500 its just a waste of cash really. leadtek is a nvidia gpu resailer, and geforce is just lol the part of the name of the graphics card . really just trust me on this if you dont you will be dissapointed no worries tho... just advice
Agreed. The 5500 will give minimal improvement over your current card... a 6600GT is leaps and bounds past both of them. I was considering getting a 5500, and I'm glad I spent the extra money on my current card. It is definently worth it.
post #18 of 27
truely the 5500 just sucks... waste of money and time spent, so the 6600 as we said is the best bet for you,you will love the performance it has over what u have and it will last for a while too... leadtek is just a hardware company that sells computer parts, the sell geforce type videocards, geforce is the GPU type, there are other manufacturers that sell geforces such as XFX,eVGA,MSI,Inno3d...so on...
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbasil1
truely the 5500 just sucks... waste of money and time spent, so the 6600 as we said is the best bet for you,you will love the performance it has over what u have and it will last for a while too... leadtek is just a hardware company that sells computer parts, the sell geforce type videocards, geforce is the GPU type, there are other manufacturers that sell geforces such as XFX,eVGA,MSI,Inno3d...so on...
Yup. For example, my card is a eVGA nVidia GeForce 6600GT.
eVGA made the actual card, nVidia made the GPU chip, GeForce is the model line, and 6600GT is the GPU model.
post #20 of 27
exactly
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
(Northwood) 2.8Ghz Dell motherboard Windows xp sp1 Dell E773c 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
dell Enermax 460W Dell 8300 Logitech MX 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Looking to upgrade my GPU