Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Birthday PC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Birthday PC? - Page 22

post #211 of 278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnur View Post
Looks better (hard drive wise).
Thing you need to keep in mind with an SSD is not the raw speed, but rather the IOPS and random 4k access, I'd need to back my saying with some sources though, I'll look into it when I get to work this afternoon.

As for NCIX price matching, sometimes there's some parts that they just don't have so I order from newegg/NCIX and my personal business suppliers where I get cheaper prices and no shipping fees. For example I get hard drives from there because it's cheaper and there's no shipping involved (except the 10 minutes travel in my car) so not a big risk of the drive to fail.

Which part of Canada are you in actually? Might be able to help you out a bit more
Fort McMurray, Alberta. Where the computer stores are so overpriced it isn't even funny. xD

It does suck that ncix doesn't have the a-data plus. They were rated to run up to 1.85v (and I don't know how well the g.skills can hold up). I hear g.skill is a REALLY good brand but if it can't reach 1.85v without dying on the AM3 board I might just have to get something else.
post #212 of 278
Fort McMurray, I know the place, I get calls from RCMP about that location sometimes.

Why you need 1.85v? O_O
1.5/1.65v is all you need with DDR3.
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
post #213 of 278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnur View Post
Fort McMurray, I know the place, I get calls from RCMP about that location sometimes.

Why you need 1.85v? O_O
1.5/1.65v is all you need with DDR3.
Well I don't know about now, but back then with my old 939, whenever i overclocked the cpu it effected the ram directly. at max volts i had to run the ram at stock....actually a bit slower then stock, just to reach a 400mhz overclock. I really don't want to run into that again.
post #214 of 278
Thread Starter 
post #215 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Well I don't know about now, but back then with my old 939, whenever i overclocked the cpu it effected the ram directly. at max volts i had to run the ram at stock....actually a bit slower then stock, just to reach a 400mhz overclock. I really don't want to run into that again.
It still affects it, but rated voltages dropped from a 1.8 standard to 1.5
Intel CPU's can be severely damaged after 1.65v, I ran a 2.1v ddr3 kit (early days...) on my Phenom 955 and it was fine.

Looks good.
Just a few points for few parts; the F3's in RAID 0, do you really need the speed? There's an added risk of data loss if something becomes corrupt, although it's so low that it shouldn't be worrying you for the next 5 years or so...

For the SSD, take a look at the Kingston Desktop Bundles series, this 64gb one for example is the same price as the Intel's 40gb. It also comes with the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter. Good deal

If you're set for 8gb of RAM, I'd recommend you get a 8gb kit instead of 2 kits of 4gb, you'll be able to upgrade later; this page should give you some ideas or where you'll be floating.


I think you're pretty much set for the rest
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
post #216 of 278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnur View Post
It still affects it, but rated voltages dropped from a 1.8 standard to 1.5
Intel CPU's can be severely damaged after 1.65v, I ran a 2.1v ddr3 kit (early days...) on my Phenom 955 and it was fine.



Looks good.
Just a few points for few parts; the F3's in RAID 0, do you really need the speed? There's an added risk of data loss if something becomes corrupt, although it's so low that it shouldn't be worrying you for the next 5 years or so...

For the SSD, take a look at the Kingston Desktop Bundles series, this 64gb one for example is the same price as the Intel's 40gb. It also comes with the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter. Good deal

If you're set for 8gb of RAM, I'd recommend you get a 8gb kit instead of 2 kits of 4gb, you'll be able to upgrade later; this page should give you some ideas or where you'll be floating.


I think you're pretty much set for the rest
Doesn't raid-0 installs the same file on both drives and that is why it results in faster speeds? I would of liked to get the 500gb f3s but they didn't have them in stock.

Wouldn't that increase the risk protection? Having the file just be copied on the other drive?

I do think 1tb is over kill, especially if i'm only using over 100gb on this rig. But the raid-0 is also for experience as well. The added speed would help in loading times, etc, and it is something i would really like to have. All my games would be on the 1tbs while the ssd would have just the os.

i'll take a look in that ssd tho, but i've heard great things from the intel counter-parts

oh, as for the ram, i think 8gb would be plenty for like 5 years, i can't see me needing anything more. plus 4gb sticks are still pretty expensive :O
post #217 of 278
Well, increased READ speed (mirroring) is RAID 1. That would make more sense to you.
RAID 0 increases the write speed (stripping), it writes a bit of the file on one drive and a bit on the other.
1TB is not overkill, 2TB, maybe a bit if all you're using now is 100gb

Those Kingston's are based on the same technology as the Intel ones.

And for RAM, you never know what the needs will be, we've got from 256mb to 1gb pretty quickly... (Doom 3/6800GT era...). It's your call, I think it's more wise to get a single kit, plus you're lowering your OC chances when you have multiple kits (even the same models) than when you have one, that's why all those 7+ GHz runs under LN2 are made with 1 stick...
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
post #218 of 278
Thread Starter 
uff, got a problem now, the budget is now 1600 (with shipping, taxes, and everything). even tho i can afford the 1900 rig, my parents won't pitch in, let alone accept that much on their credit cards. so the only way they'll help me out on the rig for my birthday is if i show that i'm saving funds for school.

so, gotta cut this down 300+ plus bucks. this is what i'm looking at now:

From NCIX with pricecheck:
Screen: ASUS LCD VH198T 19in (1440x900)

Case: CM HAF 922
Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 890GX
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555
CPU Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Plus
TIM: Arctic Cooling MX-2
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB DDR5
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB)
Sound card: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Antec TP-750 Modular Blue PSU
Mouse Pad: OCZ Behemoth
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3500
Keyboard: Logitech Wave Keyboard

Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Mic: Zalman Zm-Mic

Total (including shipping and taxes): $1,685.76 CAD

still gotta drop 85 bucks :/
post #219 of 278
Edit: If you need to cut cost, I'd suggest the sound card. I've heard they do make a difference, but not nearly as much as the rest of the components. Or a few bucks on the case? I think the case is personal preference, and I haven't noticed much difference between my last 2.
Edited by Silvos00 - 5/30/10 at 1:47pm
Green Dragon
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K ASrock Extreme4 X79 LGA 2011 EVGA GTX 780 6GB EVGA GTX 780 6GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12GB (3x4) Samsung 2133 Mhz Sandisk SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Acer G7 G237HLbi Acer G7 G237HLbi Acer G7 G237HLbi 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Chroma Corsair HX 750 Lancool K62 Dragonlord Razer taipan 
AudioAudio
Creative Soundblaster Z Razer Krakeen 7.1 Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Dragon
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3930K ASrock Extreme4 X79 LGA 2011 EVGA GTX 780 6GB EVGA GTX 780 6GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12GB (3x4) Samsung 2133 Mhz Sandisk SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Acer G7 G237HLbi Acer G7 G237HLbi Acer G7 G237HLbi 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Chroma Corsair HX 750 Lancool K62 Dragonlord Razer taipan 
AudioAudio
Creative Soundblaster Z Razer Krakeen 7.1 Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #220 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
uff, got a problem now, the budget is now 1600 (with shipping, taxes, and everything). even tho i can afford the 1900 rig, my parents won't pitch in, let alone accept that much on their credit cards. so the only way they'll help me out on the rig for my birthday is if i show that i'm saving funds for school.

so, gotta cut this down 300+ plus bucks. this is what i'm looking at now:

From NCIX with pricecheck:
Screen: ASUS LCD VH198T 19in (1440x900)

Case: CM HAF 922
Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 890GX
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555
CPU Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Plus
TIM: Arctic Cooling MX-2
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB DDR5
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB)
Sound card: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Antec TP-750 Modular Blue PSU
Mouse Pad: OCZ Behemoth
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3500
Keyboard: Logitech Wave Keyboard

Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
Mic: Zalman Zm-Mic

Total (including shipping and taxes): $1,685.76 CAD

still gotta drop 85 bucks :/
Are you an audiophile? If not, drop that dedicated sound card, it's easy to upgrade it later and you'll just be happier later on, it saves your 105$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvos00 View Post
I'm not sure if you would need a SSD if your going to be RAIDing?
He's not anymore...
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
Shnurok 3.0
(22 items)
 
Alienware M11x
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS Sabertooth X58 PowerColor 6870 G.Skill π 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB Vertex Turbo WD 1TB Black 500GB Scorpio Blue Stinger Hybrid 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
MCP 655 CyberDruid custom Waterfall  MCR320 Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 DAS Ultimate S Silent XFX XXX 750w PRO CaseLabs M8 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Razer Destructor ASUS Xonar D2X Logitech G51 
Audio
Corsair H1SA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SU7300 M11Xr1 GT335M 4GB Hynix 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
120GB Vertex 2 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 11.6" M11X 
Mouse
Logitech MX Anywhere 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Birthday PC?