Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Should I upgrade CPU now or wait to build a new system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I upgrade CPU now or wait to build a new system?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
im thinking of building an amd64 system next year, to wait for all the compliance to come out, and was wondering if it would be worth it to go ahead and get a new processor(p4 3.0 1MB L2) which im sure i will oc to at least 3.5 or so, or just wait and build next year.
would the larger cache really make the difference for the money?(and the xtra ~600 mhz)
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.53 L2512 @ 2.94 gigabyte fx-rz xp pro 19" flat crt 
PowerCase
450W generic-modded 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.53 L2512 @ 2.94 gigabyte fx-rz xp pro 19" flat crt 
PowerCase
450W generic-modded 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 4
There is no point waiting for parts to build computers if ur going to wait that long. By the time you get to next year, there'll probably be something else coming out that makes you wait more. Just build a dual core 64 system. nothing is optimized for them yet so theyll last pretty long. And, the ocz phase change cooling system will allow you to get a pretty high OC later when ur comp isnt top of the line anymore.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 4GB Corsair 1600Mhz Cas7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500X2 Raid 1 Asus 24x DVD Windows 7 64-bit Dell IN2010N 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Keyboard Antec TruePower 650W Antec 900 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 4GB Corsair 1600Mhz Cas7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500X2 Raid 1 Asus 24x DVD Windows 7 64-bit Dell IN2010N 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Keyboard Antec TruePower 650W Antec 900 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
I agree. There is no point in waiting a year to buy possibly out of date parts. If your willing to spend that money now, which is about 400-1000 bucks I think, then you should either....

1) Upgrade it now! Don't upgrade now and then upgrade later, if your going to spend the money later anyways, why not get it over with and save yourself the money that you would have spent on the 3.0?

2) Wait! Wait till later this year or whenever you were planning on buying that 64 weather it be FX55 or FX53 or whatever, and hunker it into the new processor on the market.

Thats my 2 cents
Kopisaurus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k @ 5ghz 1.395v Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3 ATI HD6950 2GB (flashed --> 6970) 16GB Gskill Sniper 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb WD Black / 2x 1TB WD Black RAID1 LG DVD/RW Super Multi Windows 7 Enterprise x64 ASUS ML239H 23" LED  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (modded) Corsair TV750W V2 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62B Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Kopisaurus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k @ 5ghz 1.395v Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3 ATI HD6950 2GB (flashed --> 6970) 16GB Gskill Sniper 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500gb WD Black / 2x 1TB WD Black RAID1 LG DVD/RW Super Multi Windows 7 Enterprise x64 ASUS ML239H 23" LED  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (modded) Corsair TV750W V2 Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62B Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
well i'll be useing my tax return thats why im gonna wait a year
and i havent even looked at any 64 systems yet cuz i know in a year the top grade now will me middle weight then,
i was just wondering if that 3.0 with bigger cache will make a difference on my system, and its only like 150 for it anyway
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.53 L2512 @ 2.94 gigabyte fx-rz xp pro 19" flat crt 
PowerCase
450W generic-modded 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 2.53 L2512 @ 2.94 gigabyte fx-rz xp pro 19" flat crt 
PowerCase
450W generic-modded 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Should I upgrade CPU now or wait to build a new system?