Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › PS3 Release Date????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 Release Date???? - Page 3

post #21 of 51
Well HD-DVD players aren't cheap either so it will be a while for both to come down to the point where the average consumer picks one up. Blu-ray is more expensive though, I don't know how it's going to work out. There's a bunch of companies backing blu-ray too. That would be a huge hit for sony if blu-ray flopped but they didn't want a compromise with toshiba on a unified format, so I guess they're confident. HD-DVD looks more practical at this point though.

I have no idea how it will turn out, but I'm rooting for blue-ray. I just like sony, most of the electonic stuff in my house is sony brand, so I'm just loyal like that.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer7
Yeah but look at it this way, by using it in the ps3 sony has just established a huge market for blu-ray.
Bah. Microsoft is officially supporting HD-DVD, so Windows Vista PCs are far more likely to ship with HD-DVD drives than Blu-Ray drives. I think Windows will push new technology better than the PS3 will.

Actually, neither of them will be the deciding factor here; the movie players will be. Did anyone buy in to the CD-ROM craze because of the PS1 or PC? Or buy into the DVD craze because of the PS2, XBox, or PC? The answers are no and no. It was music for CDs and movies for DVD, period. (Of course, I just saw on CNN yesterday that HD movies are going to reatil for about twice what current DVDs go for. Who the heck is going to pay $40 for a frickin movie? I expected a 20-25% increase, but 100%? Bite me, movie companies.)

The only reason I think people are jumping on the Blu-Ray bandwagon so much is either a) they blindly believe Sony makes the best stuff, for some misguided reason (because it's just not true); and b) the press really beats Blu-Ray down our throats a lot more than HD-DVD. Either Sony has great pull with the press, or the reporters think "Blu-Ray" sounds cooler and more hi-tech than "HD-DVD", or something...but it's definitely seems pretty one-sided in the press to me.

Quote:
They can stand to take the loss if it means it will make blu-ray mainstream.
That's really not true, Sony has been kind of hurting financially for some time now. There is no way they can just absorb a $600 loss per unit without feeling some real pain. On the other side, there is no way they can charge anywhere near the manufacturing costs or the X360 will kill them in the marketplace, and they will feel real pain. Rock and a hard place, if you ask me.

Quote:
Well HD-DVD players aren't cheap either so it will be a while for both to come down to the point where the average consumer picks one up.
Very true. Which is why the X360 does not include one, and it's still $400 for the good SKU, $300 if you cheap out. Assuming the PS3 costs exactly the same to manufacture as an X360 (which it won't, it should cost more because of the new Cell chip), then Sony is giving away a Blu-Ray drive if they charge only $400. Fantastic deal for consumers I suppose, financial disaster for Sony.

Quote:
That would be a huge hit for sony if blu-ray flopped but they didn't want a compromise with toshiba on a unified format, so I guess they're confident.
Sure...if confident means stupid. I mean, they've been through this before: Beta was Sony's standard too, and they lost miserably to VHS. If you fail to learn from history, you are doomed to repeat your mistakes.

The smart thing to do, and the best thing for consumers, would have been to make the compromise format. But Sony's arrogant unwillingness to change for the mutual benefit of all interested parties should condemn them to failure. Here's hoping that Blu-Ray goes down in flames.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
Bah. Microsoft is officially supporting HD-DVD, so Windows Vista PCs are far more likely to ship with HD-DVD drives than Blu-Ray drives. I think Windows will push new technology better than the PS3 will.

Actually, neither of them will be the deciding factor here; the movie players will be. Did anyone buy in to the CD-ROM craze because of the PS1 or PC? Or buy into the DVD craze because of the PS2, XBox, or PC? The answers are no and no. It was music for CDs and movies for DVD, period. (Of course, I just saw on CNN yesterday that HD movies are going to reatil for about twice what current DVDs go for. Who the heck is going to pay $40 for a frickin movie? I expected a 20-25% increase, but 100%? Bite me, movie companies.)

The only reason I think people are jumping on the Blu-Ray bandwagon so much is either a) they blindly believe Sony makes the best stuff, for some misguided reason (because it's just not true); and b) the press really beats Blu-Ray down our throats a lot more than HD-DVD. Either Sony has great pull with the press, or the reporters think "Blu-Ray" sounds cooler and more hi-tech than "HD-DVD", or something...but it's definitely seems pretty one-sided in the press to me.



That's really not true, Sony has been kind of hurting financially for some time now. There is no way they can just absorb a $600 loss per unit without feeling some real pain. On the other side, there is no way they can charge anywhere near the manufacturing costs or the X360 will kill them in the marketplace, and they will feel real pain. Rock and a hard place, if you ask me.



Very true. Which is why the X360 does not include one, and it's still $400 for the good SKU, $300 if you cheap out. Assuming the PS3 costs exactly the same to manufacture as an X360 (which it won't, it should cost more because of the new Cell chip), then Sony is giving away a Blu-Ray drive if they charge only $400. Fantastic deal for consumers I suppose, financial disaster for Sony.



Sure...if confident means stupid. I mean, they've been through this before: Beta was Sony's standard too, and they lost miserably to VHS. If you fail to learn from history, you are doomed to repeat your mistakes.

The smart thing to do, and the best thing for consumers, would have been to make the compromise format. But Sony's arrogant unwillingness to change for the mutual benefit of all interested parties should condemn them to failure. Here's hoping that Blu-Ray goes down in flames.
Amen.. Sony thinks the world revolves around them, even if they didnt make a penny off the PS2. They may have sold em, but when you sell for a loss thats definately not good. In any case though, Sony keeps saying "Spring" but I doubt it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
Amen.. Sony thinks the world revolves around them, even if they didnt make a penny off the PS2. They may have sold em, but when you sell for a loss thats definately not good. In any case though, Sony keeps saying "Spring" but I doubt it.
Dont worry everyone, Jori's one of those X-box fanboys who dispise Sony. He'd rather never see Sony launch another concole so Microsoft could win the market.

Personally, I just ignore comments like that while I watch xbox fanboys hang thier concoles in the air to stop them overheating
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Abit NFS-M Windows XP Pro Viewsonic 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KTX Thermaltake butterfly ? It's better than most.. Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Abit NFS-M Windows XP Pro Viewsonic 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KTX Thermaltake butterfly ? It's better than most.. Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWarmain
I think like $350.00-$400.00 thats what i heard
thats an awesome price!

remember. ps2 was 500$ when it came out
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.5ghz Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 XP Pro Corperate Philips 17 inch CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fellowes Ergonomic 480W Tt Butterfly Thermaltake Swing Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.5ghz Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 XP Pro Corperate Philips 17 inch CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fellowes Ergonomic 480W Tt Butterfly Thermaltake Swing Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak3
Dont worry everyone, Jori's one of those X-box fanboys who dispise Sony. He'd rather never see Sony launch another concole so Microsoft could win the market.

Personally, I just ignore comments like that while I watch xbox fanboys hang thier concoles in the air to stop them overheating
Just cause you despise Sony doesnt mean youre an Xbox fanboy. I dont like Sony cause their so arrogant and think its all about them. Not to mention all their diehard fanboys are annoying as hell.
Very nice!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6600 Asus P5N32-E SLI EVGA 8800GTX 2 x 1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x WD Caviar SE16 250GB Sony NEC Optiarc 18x SATA DVD Windows XP Pro Gateway FPD2485W 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 PC P&C Silencer 610W Thermaltake Tsunami Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Very nice!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6600 Asus P5N32-E SLI EVGA 8800GTX 2 x 1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x WD Caviar SE16 250GB Sony NEC Optiarc 18x SATA DVD Windows XP Pro Gateway FPD2485W 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 PC P&C Silencer 610W Thermaltake Tsunami Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3r3my
Just cause you despise Sony doesnt mean youre an Xbox fanboy. I dont like Sony cause their so arrogant and think its all about them. Not to mention all their diehard fanboys are annoying as hell.
Arrogant? Do you personally know the Sony chairman?

In my eyes, the Xbox fanboys are more annoying. They talk crap out of thier asses.

But anyway, lets just play nice

I myself dont expect the PS3 for a while yet, April (Is that was people were saying?) is was too soon. I'd just wait Sony to announce it
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Abit NFS-M Windows XP Pro Viewsonic 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KTX Thermaltake butterfly ? It's better than most.. Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Abit NFS-M Windows XP Pro Viewsonic 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
KTX Thermaltake butterfly ? It's better than most.. Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Not to mention all their diehard fanboys are annoying as hell.
All diehard fanboys are annoying be it sony, xbox or nintendo.

I don't think I'm a fanboy because I've had all 3 systems, and the ps2 is my favorite by far. They have the best selection of games that appeal to me and I just like them.

When you say sony is arrogant it reveals some kind of bias aginst them, because you could say the same thing about microsoft, whose this overbloated juggernaut just trying to buy it's way into the console market so they can dominate everything.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak3
Dont worry everyone, Jori's one of those X-box fanboys who dispise Sony. He'd rather never see Sony launch another concole so Microsoft could win the market.

Personally, I just ignore comments like that while I watch xbox fanboys hang thier concoles in the air to stop them overheating
Oh, so im a xbox fanboy? Really now? No, i'd rather look at the facts, and also I could care less if the Xbox 360 or PS3 fail or succeed. Im just wanting a Nintendo Revolution. But yeah, back on that fact thing.. You do know Sony is gonna take such huge hits with the PS3 it will be riduculous.. Right?

Also, yes Sony IS arrogant. The comments they make, its all arrogant and disrespectful. The openly bash Nintendo and Microsoft. That them being very arrogant because they think they are better, and also the comments are uneeded. If you want to make comments about a company you could at least not make fools of yourselves and say something inteligent.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 51
They bashed nintendo and microsoft? Uh do you have a link to that? I want to use it as my sig.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4000+ X2 Brisbane @ 2.9ghz Biostart Tforce 550se msi 9600gt oc 4g g-skill ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750gb (1x250, 1x500) xp & vista 28" 1920x1200 Antec 650w Neopower 
Case
Xion 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Playstation
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › PS3 Release Date????