Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Solved: GA-890GPA-UD3H and F3 Compatibility
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Solved: GA-890GPA-UD3H and F3 Compatibility

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Edit: The problem has been solved. Those interested in the solutions it's simple really you disable SATA3 in the BIOS. Go into the "Integrated Peripherals" menu. Next to "OnChip SATA3.0 Support" change it from "Enabled" to "Disabled." Save the changes and exit. Now the motherboard should be able to see any Samsung hard drives.

My new Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H doesn't recognize my F3 1TB when it's plugged into a blue SATA 6Gb/s port. It recognizes it fine if it's plugged into a white SATA 3Gb/s port. Everything else I've tried in the SATA 6Gb/s ports work fine (Samsung DVD Burner and WD 640GB AAKS) and that's using the same SATA II cable I tried with the F3. The main problem is I have two F3s and want to do RAID-0. I know they support it but I there is only one RAID driver on Gigabyte's site and it's for the 6Gb/s ports.
Edited by Ben the OCer - 9/2/10 at 10:09pm
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 27
Make sure bios is updated to the latest available version and if not just wait till its updated and fixed!

Also you could try contacting motherboard manafacturer
First Build :D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3 Asus Crosshair III (RoG) GTX 460 MSI OC EDITION G.SKILL DDR3 Dual channel Ripjaw 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm LG GH22NS50 Super Multi DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SM2333SW 23" 1920x1080 Full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W Casecom 6788 Microsoft Intellipoint 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build :D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3 Asus Crosshair III (RoG) GTX 460 MSI OC EDITION G.SKILL DDR3 Dual channel Ripjaw 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm LG GH22NS50 Super Multi DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung SM2333SW 23" 1920x1080 Full HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W Casecom 6788 Microsoft Intellipoint 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the OCer View Post
My new Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H doesn't recognize my F3 1TB when it's plugged into a blue SATA 6Gb/s port. It recognizes it fine if it's plugged into a white SATA 3Gb/s port. Everything else I've tried in the SATA 6Gb/s ports work fine (Samsung DVD Burner and WD 640GB AAKS) and that's using the same SATA II cable I tried with the F3. The main problem is I have two F3s and want to do RAID-0. I know they support it but I there is only one RAID driver on Gigabyte's site and it's for the 6Gb/s ports.
I also have this motherboard and a 2tb samsung f3 drive. Thanks to your post I can now use the drive when plugged into the white port.

Any chance you can access your smart data and check the spin up time history? I use speedfan for this and it originally told me to replace the drive immedialtly which was worrying because it caused me to not use it for the first 2 weeks after purchase. Now it tells me spin up is ok but has had a problem in the past and should be monitored closely.

Basically this has devalued my drive if I ever want to sell it on

Another thing you might want to know is that it will work in an external enclosue using an esata to sata converter where the enclosure has its own psu. (on all sata ports). You could use that as a temp solution to your raid perhaps.

Please do post your smart result I would appreciate it thanks.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the OCer View Post
My new Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H doesn't recognize my F3 1TB when it's plugged into a blue SATA 6Gb/s port. It recognizes it fine if it's plugged into a white SATA 3Gb/s port. Everything else I've tried in the SATA 6Gb/s ports work fine (Samsung DVD Burner and WD 640GB AAKS) and that's using the same SATA II cable I tried with the F3. The main problem is I have two F3s and want to do RAID-0. I know they support it but I there is only one RAID driver on Gigabyte's site and it's for the 6Gb/s ports.
I just noticed your 3.8ghz on your cpu, what settings do i need to change for this? I got the same cpu i think, its the 2.8ghz 6 x core.
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
I just noticed your 3.8ghz on your cpu, what settings do i need to change for this? I got the same cpu i think, its the 2.8ghz 6 x core.
Here's a easy Tutorial >> film_go.pngYouTube- AMD Phenom II X6 Overclocking Tutorial (NCIX Tech Tips #66)
Predator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2700k 4.0Ghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (3)  Gigabyte GTX 670 OC  Gigabyte GTX 670 OC  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
GeIL EVO Veloce Series 16GB Crucial V4 256GB SSD Pioneer Blu-ray Burner  CORSAIR Hydro H80i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 x64 LG 47LK520  In Win Commander 1200W NZXT: White Phantom Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Predator
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2700k 4.0Ghz MSI Z68A-GD65 (3)  Gigabyte GTX 670 OC  Gigabyte GTX 670 OC  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
GeIL EVO Veloce Series 16GB Crucial V4 256GB SSD Pioneer Blu-ray Burner  CORSAIR Hydro H80i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 x64 LG 47LK520  In Win Commander 1200W NZXT: White Phantom Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAdam View Post
Thanks Toxic, the man in the video said you dont have to disable the turbo button but what would happen if just 3 cores went above the 4ghz? would they have a better stability margin than all 6 cores do you know?

Also is it the front side bus or something that gets increased instead of the multiplier? Why does Amd let both the 1055t and 1090t cpu's go to 4ghz but only unlock the multiplier on the expensive one and make you take an alternative path on the 1055t to give the same result? I know its the same with previous technology but I have never fully understood why they do this.

Are benchmarks the same for both cpu's running at 4ghz but with different oc method?
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
I also have this motherboard and a 2tb samsung f3 drive. Thanks to your post I can now use the drive when plugged into the white port.

Any chance you can access your smart data and check the spin up time history? I use speedfan for this and it originally told me to replace the drive immedialtly which was worrying because it caused me to not use it for the first 2 weeks after purchase. Now it tells me spin up is ok but has had a problem in the past and should be monitored closely.

Basically this has devalued my drive if I ever want to sell it on

Another thing you might want to know is that it will work in an external enclosue using an esata to sata converter where the enclosure has its own psu. (on all sata ports). You could use that as a temp solution to your raid perhaps.

Please do post your smart result I would appreciate it thanks.
I'm wondering if it's a compatibility problem with all Samsung hard drives on SATA 6Gb/s ports or just this board?

I've never looked at SMART data before. I downloaded SpeedFan but there is nothing in the SMART tab (the drop down box next to Hard disk doesn't have any drives listed). I don't have a eSATA enclosure. I might as well just plug it inside to the white ports. There is no built-in eSATA port on the I/O panel, and using an eSATA port on the front of a case wouldn't change anything because it would be plugged into the white port anyway. The problem is there are no RAID drivers for the white ports. At least the ones on Gigabyte's site didn't work so I assume they are for the 6Gb/s ports. The blue ports are controlled by the SB850 Southbridge and the white ports are controlled by a separate chip that Gigabyte added, that's why they need separate RAID drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
I just noticed your 3.8ghz on your cpu, what settings do i need to change for this? I got the same cpu i think, its the 2.8ghz 6 x core.
Here are all the BIOS settings I changed and what I change them to:

Menu: MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
CPU Clock Ratio: [x12.5] 3800MHz
CPU NorthBridge Freq: [x7] 2128MHz
CPU Host Clock Control: [Manual]
CPU Frequency(MHz): [304]
PCIE Clock (MHZ): [100]
HT Link Width: [Auto]
HT Link Frequency: [x7] 2128MHz
Memory Clock: [x5.33] 1620MHz
CPU PLL Voltage Control: [2.5v]
DRAM Voltage Control: [1.65v]
NB Voltage Control: [1.3v]
SidePort Voltage: [1.6v]
NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: [1.8v]
CPU Voltage Control: [+0.05v] 1.475v

Anything I didn't mention I left at Auto. Realize my motherboard chipset voltages might be sightly different than yours if you have a different motherboard. I turned off Turbo CORE but left Cool'N'Quiet on. After finding the max overclock for the processor I manually changed the RAM timings and found the perfect clock for it. It's better to only overclock one thing at a time so you know what is cause instability if you run into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
Thanks Toxic, the man in the video said you dont have to disable the turbo button but what would happen if just 3 cores went above the 4ghz? would they have a better stability margin than all 6 cores do you know?

Also is it the front side bus or something that gets increased instead of the multiplier? Why does Amd let both the 1055t and 1090t cpu's go to 4ghz but only unlock the multiplier on the expensive one and make you take an alternative path on the 1055t to give the same result? I know its the same with previous technology but I have never fully understood why they do this.

Are benchmarks the same for both cpu's running at 4ghz but with different oc method?
I would highly suggest turning off Turbo CORE. Only in the case of a light overclocking could you possibly leave it on. Another problem is it increases the voltage too, which can be a problem if you already raised the voltage to stabilize an overclock.

That is correct with the 1055T you have to overclock the base clock and with the 1090T you can both overclock the base clock and raise the multiplier. Losing money due to overclockers is really a non-issue for AMD and Intel because so few people do it. Think about it, how many people build their own computers, how many of those people have motherboards that can overclock, and then how many of those people actually overclock their computers? That's a very small group compared to how many people buy OEM computers. Most OEM computers have a locked BIOS that can't overclock. If they locked the base clock in the CPU itself that would make us enthusiast really mad and would give a competitive advantage to their competitor if they don't do the same.
Edited by Ben the OCer - 5/8/10 at 11:17am
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the OCer View Post
I'm wondering if it's a compatibility problem with all Samsung hard drives on SATA 6Gb/s ports or just this board?

I've never looked at SMART data before. I downloaded SpeedFan but there is nothing in the SMART tab (the drop down box next to Hard disk doesn't have any drives listed). I don't have a eSATA enclosure. I might as well just plug it inside to the white ports. There is no built-in eSATA port on the I/O panel, and using an eSATA port on the front of a case wouldn't change anything because it would be plugged into the white port anyway. The problem is there are no RAID drivers for the white ports. At least the ones on Gigabyte's site didn't work so I assume they are for the 6Gb/s ports. The blue ports are controlled by the SB850 Southbridge and the white ports are controlled by a separate chip that Gigabyte added, that's why they need separate RAID drivers.
I should have mentioned I also have a 1tb f1 samsung drive and it works fine in both ports. You can get other programs where you can access smart data, i hdtune shows you in health tab (although if speedfan doesnt show you then hdtune prob wont either). I think maybe your chipset drivers may not be installed correctly if you cant see it in speedfan. Did you let windows install automatically or did you use cd/driver download?. We have an almost identical setup - same cpu, motherboard and f3 hdd.

My point about the external enclosure was that it has its own power source. The esata is irrelevant because it directly converts to sata anyway. One thing I noticed with my enclosure is that if you dont have the sata cable plugged in when you switch on the power, the hdd doesnt spin up - this leads me to believe that possibly the samsung f3 uses a slightly different sata voltage i/o configuration.

Another note. Before I bought my mb i looked at the asus 890 chipset equivalent (I would have bought the asus but there was uncertainty over compatibility with 6 core cpu) and they have a bios update that corrects some incompatibility with samsung drives.

Looks like you gotta wait for gigabyte to catch up with asus on their bios updates.


Thanks for the overclock config. Does your clock speed lower when in an idle state to save power when overclocked? One of the reasons I chose this cpu over intel was its lower power consumption becuase i leave my pc on 24/7 mostly. It would be nice to know I would still be saving a few quid on the electric. Without o.c cpuid shows it running at 800mhz idle currently. Whats your cpu temp as well at 3.8ghz?
Edited by SciFi Robot - 5/8/10 at 2:19pm
post #9 of 27
what I have said about the sata voltage i/o doesnt make sense because either way its effectively plugged into same port whether in enclosure or not. Its a tricky one this, maybe its to do with bios not likeing it when you first switch pc on
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
I should have mentioned I also have a 1tb f1 samsung drive and it works fine in both ports. You can get other programs where you can access smart data, i hdtune shows you in health tab (although if speedfan doesnt show you then hdtune prob wont either). I think maybe your chipset drivers may not be installed correctly if you cant see it in speedfan. Did you let windows install automatically or did you use cd/driver download?. We have an almost identical setup - same cpu, motherboard and f3 hdd.

My point about the external enclosure was that it has its own power source. The esata is irrelevant because it directly converts to sata anyway. One thing I noticed with my enclosure is that if you dont have the sata cable plugged in when you switch on the power, the hdd doesnt spin up - this leads me to believe that possibly the samsung f3 uses a slightly different sata voltage i/o configuration.

Another note. Before I bought my mb i looked at the asus 890 chipset equivalent (I would have bought the asus but there was uncertainty over compatibility with 6 core cpu) and they have a bios update that corrects some incompatibility with samsung drives.

Looks like you gotta wait for gigabyte to catch up with asus on their bios updates.


Thanks for the overclock config. Does your clock speed lower when in an idle state to save power when overclocked? One of the reasons I chose this cpu over intel was its lower power consumption becuase i leave my pc on 24/7 mostly. It would be nice to know I would still be saving a few quid on the electric. Without o.c cpuid shows it running at 800mhz idle currently. Whats your cpu temp as well at 3.8ghz?
I'm pretty sure I installed the chipset drivers. I'll have to get back with you about the SMART stuff. My fan controller is being stupid. I'll have to fix that first because it randomly shuts off all the fans connected to it (not cool at all when the CPU and GPU fans are connected to it). I'm going to connect the CPU and GPU fans to the motherboard instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFi Robot View Post
what I have said about the sata voltage i/o doesnt make sense because either way its effectively plugged into same port whether in enclosure or not. Its a tricky one this, maybe its to do with bios not likeing it when you first switch pc on
I know it's pretty strange. It could be BIOS related. Hopefully a future BIOS release will fix this issue. A member on here contacted me who has a rev.2 board and he said his F3 1TB worked fine connected to the blue ports. Though mine is a rev.1 board. Which one do you have? I think it says it on the board somewhere but you can also see the USB headers are in slightly different spots.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Solved: GA-890GPA-UD3H and F3 Compatibility