Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › Mobo AGP voltage Options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mobo AGP voltage Options

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
My motherboard gives me an option to raise the agp voltage. Will this give me similar results to uping the voltage by flashing the bios?

I have a 6800gt by the way
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Upping the AGP voltage really doesn't do anything for you. It adjusts the voltage to the slot, not the actual GPU.
post #3 of 7
Don't raise your AGP voltage, you will only damage your vid card.
My Sandy Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700K 4.8ghz @ 1.32 vcore Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 PowerColor 7950 Boost Patriot DDR3 1600 4gb x 2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB, 750 black LG SATA DVD burner Corsair A70 dual fan 7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Zalman 23"  Azio PC P & C 750 Silencer NZXT ZERO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX-500 Laser My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
My Sandy Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700K 4.8ghz @ 1.32 vcore Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 PowerColor 7950 Boost Patriot DDR3 1600 4gb x 2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB, 750 black LG SATA DVD burner Corsair A70 dual fan 7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Zalman 23"  Azio PC P & C 750 Silencer NZXT ZERO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX-500 Laser My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade5399
Upping the AGP voltage really doesn't do anything for you. It adjusts the voltage to the slot, not the actual GPU.
Ok, well just for curiosity sake, why do they give you the option then?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie5000
Don't raise your AGP voltage, you will only damage your vid card.
Not necessarily. It all depends on how old your video card is. Most cards made within the last 2 years, especially Nvidia, have an onboard voltage regulation chip. It will keep the gpu voltage within it's specified range.

Raising the vagp voltage not only raises the agp slot voltage, it increases the Northbridge voltage as well (on 865 abd 875 chipsets boards). So raising the agp voltage will sometimes gain you a few extra mhz on the fsb.

However, AMD's don't have a "Northbridge", so I really don't know how it affects the rest of the system.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
3.4E @ 4.15 Asus P5WD2 Premium Windows 2.0 NEC 930sb 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520 Homemade tech station none, I use the Force 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
3.4E @ 4.15 Asus P5WD2 Premium Windows 2.0 NEC 930sb 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520 Homemade tech station none, I use the Force 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando95
Not necessarily. It all depends on how old your video card is. Most cards made within the last 2 years, especially Nvidia, have an onboard voltage regulation chip. It will keep the gpu voltage within it's specified range.

Raising the vagp voltage not only raises the agp slot voltage, it increases the Northbridge voltage as well (on 865 abd 875 chipsets boards). So raising the agp voltage will sometimes gain you a few extra mhz on the fsb.

However, AMD's don't have a "Northbridge", so I really don't know how it affects the rest of the system.
Well i have an AMD A64, so no 865 or 875 boards for me lol (i have an nForce 3 250gb if that matters)
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Gigabyte NForcfe3 250GB XP Pro NEC 19" CRT 
PowerCase
480W Thermaltake Masscool 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
I have an 875p board and I raised my AGP voltage to 1.6v, up from 1.5v. I don't know exactly what effect it had on anything other than the extra 5Mhz I got on my 9800 Pro, maybe even that was a coincidence. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › Mobo AGP voltage Options