I would like start out by listing some of the flaws in my workmanship.
Imho they are "passable", and to be quite frank, not one of the cases I have ever built did not have some type of flaw or snafu that meant a visual or structural design change midway through the project.... I guess that's what makes this whole hobby so exciting!
PSU Bracket Retention:
The most notable that could not be passed off as a "design aspect" (
) is a hairline crack that I put in the rear panel when I was hammering (yes, hammering.
) the inserts for the PSU bracket into the panel.
To clean up the foible I applied a capillary bond into the crack and then re-sanded and polished the area. Even though the bond took, there is a small white line that can be seen.
The redeeming aspect of this mishap is that it is not visible. Once a PSU is installed and the PSU Frame is in place, the hairline....uh... "line" is completely out of sight. This will be self-evident once I get the Final Images posted in a few days.
These images are of the rear panel up-side down:
These are the Optical Bay Rails (there are 2 extra):
There are also 8 HDD Bay Rails. The only difference between the two types is the amount of hardware holes: The HDD have 3, the Optical have 2.
Note: Please excuse the acrylic dust and any finger prints/smudges in the remainder of the images... I was still in "fabrication mode" so cleanup was not as thorough as it could or should have been. You may also note that some edges still have a faint residue of rouge on them. Those too will be fully cleaned prior to project completion.
Foam padding and felt guides for the motherboard tray:
(I just realised that the felt was not installed in this image, but an image will be posted in the Final Images post.
The last of the interior cove pieces used to supplement the capillary bond of the side panel and the bottom panel:
Note: The image below depicts the opposing cove pieces to be different in color. They are the same, it is merely the lighting angle that makes the one on the right look lighter
Yeah.... this part is really embarrassing. You see... Fish made some renderings before I even started this project and specifically pointed out that the hinges would not rotate like a standard hinge. He even went so far as to include an image of the internal panel that would require an arc cut into it to accommodate for this.
...I seem to recall scratching my melon and furrowing my brow in a vain attempt to comprehend what he was saying... evidently I failed and subsequently subconsciously dismissed the information... only to have the full impact of his direction hit me with full force several months later...
So... to fix this I needed to cut an opening in the rear door so that the vertical internal panel would not interfere with the travel of the door panel:
After completing that task I sanded and polished the new opening.
A note on these hinges: They come with a 2-part plastic collar. I supplemented the collars with a padding:
Here is a shot of the rear door, a hinge and the opening that I cut:
Front Door Fix:
Power and Reset Switches:
4-point Motherboard Retention:
The (essentially completed) project:
I still need to put the final polish on the HDD Bay Rails, mount the door stops and to do a thorough cleaning once all the finish work is complete.
I expect to ship this case off to Fish by Friday of this week.
So... I guess that is it until I get the Final images up.
Thank you for following along.