Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Post Your Server!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post Your Server!!! - Page 375

post #3741 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

I've seen more VM's fail then dedicated boxes.......

Enter hyperconverged clusters thumb.gif.
post #3742 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

I've seen more VM's fail then dedicated boxes.......

Who's building those crap VMs....
post #3743 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

I've seen more VM's fail then dedicated boxes.......

Hows is this possible? I never seen any production VM just fail and any in my test labs or others are due to software testing or just user-related.

Also Snapshots are a thing
5820k
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k ASUS x99 Sabertooth Zotac 980Ti AMP! 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Samsun SM951 Corsair H100i CentOS Windows 10 Pro KVM 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Corsair SABRE Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
5820k
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k ASUS x99 Sabertooth Zotac 980Ti AMP! 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Samsun SM951 Corsair H100i CentOS Windows 10 Pro KVM 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Corsair SABRE Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3744 of 4358
Lets just ay that there are people out there that don't think spending money on there IT infrastructure is a top priority until critical systems fail lol rolleyes.gif
 
Dust Collector
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4460  GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H Black On Board Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black  Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Seagate Baracuda  
Optical DriveCoolingOSPower
LG DVD Drive Cooler Master 212  Windows Server 2012 R2 Thermaltake Tough Power 700W 
Case
Fractal Design Arc XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 980 Asus P6X58-E WS EVGA GTX 570 EVGA GTX 570 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 570 Corsair Dominator GT Samsung 830 Samsung 830 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu ray reader XSPC Raystorm XSPC Acetal Duel 5.25" Bay Reservoir DaZMode Storm D5 Strong 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC RX360 Windows 8.1 Professional Asus VE278Q 27" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Corsair 800D Logitech G500 Razer Alpha Control 
Audio
Corsair HS1A 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Dust Collector
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4460  GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H Black On Board Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black  Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Seagate Baracuda  
Optical DriveCoolingOSPower
LG DVD Drive Cooler Master 212  Windows Server 2012 R2 Thermaltake Tough Power 700W 
Case
Fractal Design Arc XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 980 Asus P6X58-E WS EVGA GTX 570 EVGA GTX 570 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX 570 Corsair Dominator GT Samsung 830 Samsung 830 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu ray reader XSPC Raystorm XSPC Acetal Duel 5.25" Bay Reservoir DaZMode Storm D5 Strong 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC RX360 Windows 8.1 Professional Asus VE278Q 27" Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Corsair 800D Logitech G500 Razer Alpha Control 
Audio
Corsair HS1A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3745 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

ESXi is free as a whole, and I'd love you to try to name some of those advantages. I can think of 20 off the top of my head in favor of ESXi.

I have used ESXI and it is quite good not arguing that. When running 2012 Server as VMs the biggest is the checkpoint/snapshot issues. HyperV will issue a VM Generation ID that help guard against the split brain (yes I know snaphots are no bueno on DCs) The integrated Integration services it auto assigns to the guest. Server 2012 also does native nic teaming so you no longer need to assign dedicated nics to each VM even if one is rarely used and the others are maxed out, It will allow access to those nics. Personally for me HyperV being Active directory integrated is the best it allows for central management of all Windows Servers. If you run a mixed environment with say more linux than windows a lot of those go away so ESXI be a better option. In the end we all use what we are most familiar with Both ESXI and HyperV are great Hypervisors for enterprise/server applications.

I also forgot Hyper-V 2012 supports Domain Controller Cloning, there are few steps but it works very well. makes it easy to spin up another DC without starting from scratch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

Lets just ay that there are people out there that don't think spending money on there IT infrastructure is a top priority until critical systems fail lol rolleyes.gif

The worst i've had was when some IT company went to a former customer of mine, left that job so they found someone else. There was a failed disk in the RAID 5 storage array. They did not replace it with the same model disk, and as a consequence the VM would not start on that storage array. They of course blamed sharepoint, windows and everything else software wise. They get in touch with me I go take a look realized what they did moved the VM to another disk and boom the VM started instantly. So most of the VMs I've seen failed are due to host issues
Edited by littleredwagen - 7/8/16 at 6:28am
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3746 of 4358
duplicate post
Edited by littleredwagen - 7/8/16 at 6:29am
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3747 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredwagen View Post

I also forgot Hyper-V 2012 supports Domain Controller Cloning, there are few steps but it works very well. makes it easy to spin up another DC without starting from scratch
The worst i've had was when some IT company went to a former customer of mine, left that job so they found someone else. There was a failed disk in the RAID 5 storage array. They did not replace it with the same model disk, and as a consequence the VM would not start on that storage array. They of course blamed sharepoint, windows and everything else software wise. They get in touch with me I go take a look realized what they did moved the VM to another disk and boom the VM started instantly. So most of the VMs I've seen failed are due to host issues

I worked for a company that liked to cheap out on everything infrastructure. The only thing they purchased for their hosting backend was a pair of new switches(2 Ciscos in a virtual chassis, only $7000), only because the current switches blew up and cost us 2 days of downtime for our clients, and they lost about 20% of their clients because of it.

When I left they asked what one of the reasons was, and it was the place I was going wasn't skimping on infrastructure. They tried to offer me more money and I asked if you're willing to pay me more why not put more into the equipment? They didn't have a good response.
post #3748 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

I worked for a company that liked to cheap out on everything infrastructure. The only thing they purchased for their hosting backend was a pair of new switches(2 Ciscos in a virtual chassis, only $7000), only because the current switches blew up and cost us 2 days of downtime for our clients, and they lost about 20% of their clients because of it.

When I left they asked what one of the reasons was, and it was the place I was going wasn't skimping on infrastructure. They tried to offer me more money and I asked if you're willing to pay me more why not put more into the equipment? They didn't have a good response.

wow good move
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Crush
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960x Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Orange limited ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 SSD AIC 1.2TB 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in RAID 0 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Drives in RAID 1 EK Blocks, Pump, Res, Primochill and Bitspower ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24"  Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouse
Case Labs SMA8 in White Corsair M65 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3749 of 4358
Yeah this move suited me long term. That company was small, they were good to their employees but for my job they didn't really invest in infrastructure even though they hosted on their own. To be fair my boss believed in a few years they would just cloud host everything instead of self host to reduce need on admins.
post #3750 of 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredwagen View Post

I have used ESXI and it is quite good not arguing that. When running 2012 Server as VMs the biggest is the checkpoint/snapshot issues. HyperV will issue a VM Generation ID that help guard against the split brain (yes I know snaphots are no bueno on DCs) The integrated Integration services it auto assigns to the guest. Server 2012 also does native nic teaming so you no longer need to assign dedicated nics to each VM even if one is rarely used and the others are maxed out, It will allow access to those nics. Personally for me HyperV being Active directory integrated is the best it allows for central management of all Windows Servers. If you run a mixed environment with say more linux than windows a lot of those go away so ESXI be a better option. In the end we all use what we are most familiar with Both ESXI and HyperV are great Hypervisors for enterprise/server applications.

I also forgot Hyper-V 2012 supports Domain Controller Cloning, there are few steps but it works very well. makes it easy to spin up another DC without starting from scratch
The worst i've had was when some IT company went to a former customer of mine, left that job so they found someone else. There was a failed disk in the RAID 5 storage array. They did not replace it with the same model disk, and as a consequence the VM would not start on that storage array. They of course blamed sharepoint, windows and everything else software wise. They get in touch with me I go take a look realized what they did moved the VM to another disk and boom the VM started instantly. So most of the VMs I've seen failed are due to host issues

Try Proxmox.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Post Your Server!!!