Originally Posted by Penecks
Really? I find I rage more at TF2 than at CSS, with random crits, ubered heavy around the corner, sentry camping the flag, awful players getting lucky gibs, etc.
Don't get me wrong, TF2 is still a great game and I've spent many nights blowing things up. However, I sort of get what the OP is saying, for example, in TF2 if I am left against 4 players in an area I have almost no hope of killing them all, no matter how good they are. In CSS I can possibly outskill/outsmart these players and there is a much greater chance I will survive.
Yeah. I play for fun, and TF2 is fun. CSS is probably the most frustrating thing I've encountered in my 20 years on this planet, and right now I'm working on a Dodge minivan. That's saying something.
I'm fine with the random crits, cartooney graphics and the like. I actually find it fun. I don't have to play at everyone else's level for the team to win, nor do I have to play at their level to have fun. I can just be myself, spamming bullets at things while my Heavy yells "CRAAIII SOMMEE MMOOOAARRR!" or maybe W+Mouse1'ing my way around a tight map.
CSS? Bah. If I don't devote my entire life to playing that game, I've no hope of ever having fun in it. I would have to take it seriously and play it for the competition to succeed, and I've sworn an oath to myself that if I ever play a game for the competition I am to permenantly quit gaming, in any form, alltogether. I simply don't find it fun to get bunnyhop headshotted with a Glock while I can barely luck out with a Para and an AFK player. It just makes me want to hit people with blunt objects, and that's not what a game is supposed to make a player feel.
Here's a rundown of what usually happens when I play CSS:
1. Join a random server, usually a 24/7 Office server since that's the only map I have a snowball's chance in hell of killing anyone on, pick team, buy kevlar/helmet + assault rifle(AK or M16 depending on team).
2. Next round, grab kevlar/helmet, buy SMG because I can't afford the nicer gun.
3. Pure dumb luck lets me survive the round, so I refresh my armor and grab another rifle.
4. Glock headshotted before I get out of spawn. Great.
5. See two.
6. See four, then see two.
7. See four, then have to buy just a kevlar vest and a frag because I can't afford anything else.
8. See four, then all I can buy is a frag and I have to play with the weak-as-hell Glock that can't even headshot someone in one round. Get pwned.
9. ~, enter "quit", then go play something else before I get so pissed that I break my hand punching my CRT any harder.
The only time I have fun in CSS is when I'm on a lan server with a friend, there's 100's of knife only bots and sv_gravity is about 5 or so. I can chillax with an Awp and plink away with a friend.
The funny thing is that I did just as bad when I first started playing TF2. Yet somehow I found it fun enough to keep playing. It didn't frustrate me on a level that made me want to blow babies up. I kept playing it and I've gotten good enough to get dominations on the OCN server once in a while. I'm by no means the next FPS_Doug, but I can hold my own and have fun, something I will never be able to do on CSS. MAybe it was that random crit that allowed me a kill I wouldn't normally get? I don't know exactly what it was.Edited by TestECull - 5/15/10 at 1:38pm