This guide will cover how to install the SMP client on Ubuntu v10.04 x64, and how to configure it to receive SMP2 WUs. It will also cover how to set up HFM.NET to monitor the client.
It will also show you how to create Panel launchers for both programs, to make things easy.
This version of the SMP client folds SMP2 WUs, WUs which have bonus points. To receive these bonus points, you must first fold 10 eligible WUs. After these 10 are completed, you will start getting a bonus from each WU completed before the Preferred Deadline. The also bonus depends on how fast you finish it, so the faster it's compelted, the bigger the points boost you will get. Once you've finished setting up the client, check the project number of your WU to ensure you're getting SMP2 WUs. The project number should be 6011-6077 or 6701. If not, post here or in the forum and we'll see what the problem is.
Again, you will need to submit 10 SMP WUs before you begin getting bonus points.
What you Need:
1) Linux SMP Client. The 1st client in the list, under "Linux (x86) and BSD *combined uniprocessor (CPU) and SMP2"
2) You must make sure Ubuntu is up to date. Go to System> Administration> Update Manager, and install all updates:
3) You need to request a folding passkey from Stanford from here. This is necessary for SMP WU bonuses:
1) For this installation, create a folder on the Desktop, and call it SMP. Move the the SMP client .tgz file to the SMP client. Double click to open it. Now drag the 2 files into the SMP folder:
2) Now open Terminal. It can be found in Applications> Accessories> Terminal (you can drag it to the panel to make it easier).
*Wherever you see USER, replace with your own Ubuntu account name.*
Enter these commands:
|sudo apt-get install ia32-libs|
This will take a couple of minutes.
chmod +x FAH6.34-Linux.tgz
echo "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9 $* &" > fah
i7 Folders, use echo "./fah6 -smp -bigadv -verbosity 9 $* &" > fah instead.
chmod +x fah
Ubuntu v10.04 Workaround:
3) If using v10.04, you will also need to follow this block of commands:
chmod +x whosyerdaddy-0.6.sh
sudo cp -a /lib ~/lib64-fah
4) Now, finally, to make the launcher. Terminal again, and enter these commands:
Now, edit the file to look like this:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib64-fah ~/Desktop/SMP/fah6 -smp -verbosity 9
Again, i7 users enter LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib64-fah ~/Desktop/SMP/fah6 -smp -bigadv -verbosity 9 instead.
Then press CTRL+X, and 'Y' to save changes, then ENTER.
Then use this final command:
|chmod +x fah|
Now, to add the Launcher itself, rightclick the top panel (the 'taskbar' along the top)> "Add to Panel"> "Custom Application Launcher".
• Change "Type" to "Application in Terminal".
• For "Name", enter "SMP Client".
• For "Command", enter:
Now, download this icon:
Click the spring-like icon, and replace it with the icon above.
You should now have an icon on your Panel:
5) Now, click the launcher you've just added, and the SMP client will open in Terminal. Time to configure it:
Press "Enter" unless the answers are in bold.
- User name [Anonymous]? [Your Folding Name]
- Team Number ? 37726
- Passkey ? [Your Passkey]
- Ask before fetching/sending work <no/yes> [no]?
- Use proxy <yes/no> [no]?
- Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets <bigger units may have large memory demands> -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and 'big' is >10MB <small/normal/big> [normal]? big
- Change advanced options <yes/no> [no]? yes
- Core Priority <idle/low> [idle]?
- Disable highly optimized assembly code <no/yes> [no]?
- Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints <3-30> ?
- Memory, in MB, to indicate <xxxx available> [xxxx]?
- Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available <no/yes> [no]? yes
- Ignore any deadline information <mainly useful if system clock frequently has errors> <no/yes> [no]?
- Machine ID <1-16> ?
- Launch automatically, install as a service in this directory <yes/no> [no]?
- *The following options require you to restart the client before they take effect
- Disable CPU affinity lock <no/yes> [no]?
- Additional client parameters ?
- IP address to bind core to <for viewer> ?
A picture in case you need a reference:
Now you've got the SMP client installed. Check the post below for information on how to configure HFM to monitor the client.
Edited by zodac - 1/24/12 at 5:21am