Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New build - advice - compatibility issues?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New build - advice - compatibility issues? - Page 6

post #51 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopin_Nuts
If you can spend some more money, then I would recommend you buying the PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU for $209.99.

Also, IMO the Lian-Li V1200B Plus is the best case out right now. Since it has your motherboard layed out upside down, it may inhibit the heatpipe cooling, but I've read some reviews and they say that it barely hurts the chipset temperature, and if it does the motherboard comes with a small chipset fan you can mount the will help bring the temps down. That case costs $209.95 but the layout is just awesome, and if you are a fan of cases with windows they have the same case with a window on it here.

Since this computer will probably be with you for many years to come, water cooling would be a very good investment. When you do water cooling, custom is really the way to go; I bought a cheap kit and now I'm majorly regretting that. I've helped a couple of my friends set up their W/C and it's really not as hard as it seems. As someone else mentioned, take a look in the watercooling section of the forum and read up, there's a lot of good stuff in there. If you did go with water cooling then that Lian-Li case would have plenty of room to mount all your water cooling stuff inside the case.
What would you say would be the deciding factor in the difference between the two PSUs?

I don't know about the case, just yet... Lian Li cases just strike me wrong usually, for some reason... asthetically...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 88

looks like a tight fit there even with 1 VGA, and 2 PCI cards. imagine what it would look like with 2 VGA cards with aftermarket cooling.

here's a guy talking about the fit from a Newegg review.

For SLI owners out there

Pros: Well the reviews I have read of this product are very good. Does its job well.

Cons: However, this cooler are very big and takes three slots. I tried fitting these coolers in my BFG 7800 GTX and they fits perfectly. I got two of them fitted. When I put it back to my motherboard, I could see some problems already. My Sli has the PCI-E slots spaced one pci slot in between. But the coolers are just massive that it making contact with the other card. Other than that the bottom card is also making contact with my sound card. This vga coolers takes 3 slots to install, it's not possible to install my cards using these coolers. So if u own an sli rig like me beware, it's an excellent product but it's just too big to fit in my sli system. So now Im gonna have to return these coolers in which I'll have to pay 15% of the price for restoking fee.

Other Thoughts: For those, who have just one card or a wider spaced pci-e slots these would be perfect. I feel bad Im not able to use this coolers because it's one of the best fan vga coolers out there. So Im just gonna have to go with water cooling which is costly and risky.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideTraKd
What would you say would be the deciding factor in the difference between the two PSUs?

I don't know about the case, just yet... Lian Li cases just strike me wrong usually, for some reason... asthetically...
i'm not too fond of the looks of the case either. granted the case i picked looks plain.

My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by one43637
i'm not too fond of the looks of the case either. granted the case i picked looks plain.

I actually like that case quite a bit...

And since I've had time to sleep on it, I'm reconsidering cases now...

My only question would be, don't you have any heat issues from your processor being so high in the case (since heat generally rises...)?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 88
Running those 7800's in SLI (or 7900s if you go that route), you need a PSU with a 36A 12V rail(s)

I would go with the 600W OCZ Powerstream or equivalent PC P&C

Before you commit to the ASUS mobo I would compare the support offered at ASUS site compared to the support you will get at DFI-Street.com

The Thermaltake Shark is nice but getting the expansion slot clip to close with the XFX 6800GTX can be quite a headache due to the design of the HSF on it, I can imagine what it would be like with 2 of them bad boys.

The case rocks, don't get me wrong, just my experience with it.

my 2 cents, done.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 +3700 Sandy E6 DFI LanParty UT nF4 U-D WinXp SP2 Samsung 19" LCD FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ Modstream 520W Thermaltake Shark Logitech G5 Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 +3700 Sandy E6 DFI LanParty UT nF4 U-D WinXp SP2 Samsung 19" LCD FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ Modstream 520W Thermaltake Shark Logitech G5 Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKerClocKer
Running those 7800's in SLI (or 7900s if you go that route), you need a PSU with a 36A 12V rail(s)

I would go with the 600W OCZ Powerstream or equivalent PC P&C

Before you commit to the ASUS mobo I would compare the support offered at ASUS site compared to the support you will get at DFI-Street.com

The Thermaltake Shark is nice but getting the expansion slot clip to close with the XFX 6800GTX can be quite a headache due to the design of the HSF on it, I can imagine what it would be like with 2 of them bad boys.

The case rocks, don't get me wrong, just my experience with it.

my 2 cents, done.
A PSU with 36A on both 12V rails?? There is no such thing. If you can spend the money definitely go with a PC Power & Cooling. The 510W is awesome, and everything up from there is even better, but extremely expensive, with the 850W at around $400. Also, there has been many problems with the OCZ Powerstream 600W so I would not recommend you to get it.

I do agree with you on the motherboards though, if you really want to be able to overclock, you need to go with DFI. I'm guessing the only reason you want the Asus is because of the dual x16, but the difference in benchmarks and ingame performance is almost nothing. For DFI, the SLI-DR Expert is their top of the line board.

You said that you liked the Antec P180, and I have one so I'll tell you about my experiences with it. For me, looks aren't as important in a case as are the layout and quality of it. When I first saw the P180, I loved the layout of it and all the cool stuff about it. But, it really isn't as nice as I thought it was. For one, wire management is VERY hard, especially with a longer PSU. I have two HDDs and the layout is just horrible for wire management, so three would have to be bad since you'd have to use the lower HDD compartment by the PSU.

I know I'm kind of pushing the Lian-Lis but once you really look at them, there's no way you can't like them. I chose the V1200B Plus for you because it's big so you will have more room with all your stuff, and if you do go with the high-end PC Power & Cooling they are very long and you will need more space for the PSU. But here is the smaller version of the V1200, the V1000B Plus which is the same exact thing, just 100 cm shorter. If you don't like the no-door look here is the same thing as the V1000 but with a door, V1100B.

If you like those case, but want windows with them then here is the V1000B with a window, the V1200B with a window, and the V1100B with a window.

Sorry, about the pushing the Lian-Lis but all they're stuff is top of the line. If you really dont like Lian-Li I'll look for something else.
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 88
What I recommend, instead of that OCZ ram is the G.Skill 2x1gb kit. Either the pc4000 or the PC3200, you can pick them up for around 200$
post #58 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopin_Nuts
A PSU with 36A on both 12V rails?? There is no such thing. If you can spend the money definitely go with a PC Power & Cooling. The 510W is awesome, and everything up from there is even better, but extremely expensive, with the 850W at around $400. Also, there has been many problems with the OCZ Powerstream 600W so I would not recommend you to get it.

I do agree with you on the motherboards though, if you really want to be able to overclock, you need to go with DFI. I'm guessing the only reason you want the Asus is because of the dual x16, but the difference in benchmarks and ingame performance is almost nothing. For DFI, the SLI-DR Expert is their top of the line board.

You said that you liked the Antec P180, and I have one so I'll tell you about my experiences with it. For me, looks aren't as important in a case as are the layout and quality of it. When I first saw the P180, I loved the layout of it and all the cool stuff about it. But, it really isn't as nice as I thought it was. For one, wire management is VERY hard, especially with a longer PSU. I have two HDDs and the layout is just horrible for wire management, so three would have to be bad since you'd have to use the lower HDD compartment by the PSU.

I know I'm kind of pushing the Lian-Lis but once you really look at them, there's no way you can't like them. I chose the V1200B Plus for you because it's big so you will have more room with all your stuff, and if you do go with the high-end PC Power & Cooling they are very long and you will need more space for the PSU. But here is the smaller version of the V1200, the V1000B Plus which is the same exact thing, just 100 cm shorter. If you don't like the no-door look here is the same thing as the V1000 but with a door, V1100B.

If you like those case, but want windows with them then here is the V1000B with a window, the V1200B with a window, and the V1100B with a window.

Sorry, about the pushing the Lian-Lis but all they're stuff is top of the line. If you really dont like Lian-Li I'll look for something else.
I don't know what it is, really. I couldn't say it was a reasonable thing, to be sure, but for some reason, every Lain Li case I have seen so far strikes me wrong on an asthetic level.

Right now, I am back to the drawing board concerning the case and motherboard. I've decided to go with the P&C PSU, as you've recommended.

As for the motherboard, I've found that it won't suit my purposes, anyway. The ASUS 32X board, because it puts two PCI slots between the video cards, would not leave me enough room to install an aftermarket soundcard, which I require. Since it was the only 32X board that I was still considering, I am likely to go with a DFI board now, especially since I have been wanting one for a very long time, anyway
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 88
Thread Starter 
What would you recommend in a full ATX case?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 180 @ 2.4Ghz DFI LP NF4 SLi-DR Expert Windows XP Pro SP2 Westinghouse 37" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Standard PC P&C 850w Lian Li PC-75 Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 88
For a full tower I would recommend:

Thermaltake Xaser
- $149.99

Cooler Master Stacker 830 - $289.99

Lian-Li V2000B Plus - $265

Thermaltake Kandalf - $189

Thermaltake Shark - $169

Silverstone TJ07-S - $365

Also, for DFI motherboards look at:

DFI SLI-DR - $186.99

DFI SLI-DR Expert - $189.99

And if you do go with DFI be sure to go to DFI-Street because their boards, especially the expert, tend to have some compatability issues with certain components.
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New build - advice - compatibility issues?