Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Team Folders Inc. (No members needed) - Page 113

post #1121 of 3773
BOOOOOOOO
I put my new power supply and mobo in a few minutes ago, and the same thing happens again FIREWORKS!!!! W00T W00T

Blah my onboard sound blew on 2 motherboards now. No clue why. Oh, and lol... I bumped my gpu memory up 5 MHz, and it went to a black screen lol. Not good overclocker
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1122 of 3773
So is this permanent buick?
I'm sorry that you're leaving us buick, but it's your call, you can do what you like. Just want to say Thanks for your being in Team Folders Inc. You were and still are such an influential member, if not leader of our team. Good luck with your rigs and the quest to find the cure. It's true that it's about the science. But one cannot just lose their arms and legs to build these machines and have them run and not be accredited to their name. If it wasn't school machines and the team, I wouldn't pass the opportunity.

Once again, thank you and good luck. See you often in our thread.


Ok...so LBN coming back?
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1123 of 3773
I think he will be on our thread just as often as before, and btw shaj you just broke 100 today!
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...ername=Shajbot
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1124 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455buick View Post
Hi hvac,

Good luck! It should turn out Ok! I hope the bad weather in the country's mid-section does not effect you!

Take care, :-)
Hey Buick,

`Good to hear from you again; `gonna` miss your folding power. Well, I`m back folding and my rig is back together. Everything runs just as before, but this new chip runs really warm. It`s not a Pressy (it`s an Intel # P43400E-478-N), but with the cover on my rig the CPU temp shows 60 C. The board and system temps are as low as before, though. I was very careful to clean my heatsink and properly apply my heat transfer paste. I`m of the opinion that the heatpipe assembly was sized for a P4 that wouldn`t be more than 2.8 gig, like the chip I just replaced. Anyway, part of my mod included dremeling out the hexagon holes in the back of the case for better air flow, where the hot air expells from the heatpipe fins. As a "brainstorm" I also added another 40 mm fan to suck more of the heat out of the fins. I replaced the thumbscrews that held to heatpipe/fan to the inside of the case with longer screws to secure the new 40 mm fan and grille to the outside of the case. There is maybe a little more air coming out than before, but not really that much more. In the past when I OCed the old chip to around 3.3 gig, the temps wouldn`t go much past 50 C, but the chip would reset itself in about 4 hours after it made my rig restart. I took the cover back off and again aimed the external blower fan at the same area I had it before to add more cooling. Even with that the CPU temp drops only to about 52 to 53 C. Now I`m considering getting some better air cooling, but I have a big problem with space and design. The Shuttle heatpipe/heatsink assembly appears to be offset differently than other rig setups, so I`m unsure that I can find anything that will fit. Plus, this case is so small that I won`t be able to fit anything larger than the 40 mm setup it now has. I don`t want to spend a bunch on phase or pelt, and there is absolutely NO room for water tubing in this rig. In fact, I have to use the proper sequence when assembling/disassembling this box because of how close stuff fits into this thing. The next thing I`m going to try is to take the new fan back off, and just put the grill on the outside of the case. Maybe the hex hole cut away portion will make enough difference on its own. On a final note the only other possibility for gettin more air into the case is to get some modders mesh. The drawback to that is the case cover is a wrap around with three sides, and it fits like a glove. Any drastic modding to it would greatly weaken it and make it flimsy. `Got any suggestions?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P 4 Prescott, 3.4 gig. Shuttle SB61/478 GForce 7600GS Corsair 2gig DDRSDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 10Krpm SATA Windows XP Home SP2 19" wide Hanns LCD Logictech wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Shuttle CP50 300 watts Shuttle XPC barebones Logictech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P 4 Prescott, 3.4 gig. Shuttle SB61/478 GForce 7600GS Corsair 2gig DDRSDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 10Krpm SATA Windows XP Home SP2 19" wide Hanns LCD Logictech wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Shuttle CP50 300 watts Shuttle XPC barebones Logictech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1125 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajbot View Post
Ok...so LBN coming back?
You bet'cha. Seeing as I'm back, we should appoint Buick unofficial team guru.
post #1126 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajbot View Post
So is this permanent buick?
I'm sorry that you're leaving us buick, but it's your call, you can do what you like. Just want to say Thanks for your being in Team Folders Inc. You were and still are such an influential member, if not leader of our team. Good luck with your rigs and the quest to find the cure. It's true that it's about the science. But one cannot just lose their arms and legs to build these machines and have them run and not be accredited to their name. If it wasn't school machines and the team, I wouldn't pass the opportunity.

Once again, thank you and good luck. See you often in our thread.


Ok...so LBN coming back?
Hi shajbot,

Thanks for the kind words!! Yeah for now it's permanent... I will be around though! Just drop me a line... anytime! I'll keep watch of our team and cheerlead as much as possible. You have been absolutely great to know and work with! cappy is fun with his "fireworks", LBN the anchor, but you and your dedication...

And yes LBN is BACK!!! GO Folders Inc!!

BTW - Congrats on your fight into the top 100 of OCN!

Take care and Fold On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboitenoire View Post
You bet'cha. Seeing as I'm back, we should appoint Buick unofficial team guru.
Hi LBN,

I'll accept the position of "un-official" team guru!!! I don't know what that means exactly, but I'll do the best I can!

BTW - Thanks for jumping back in... :-)

Take care and Fold On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping View Post
Hey Buick,

`Good to hear from you again; `gonna` miss your folding power. Well, I`m back folding and my rig is back together. Everything runs just as before, but this new chip runs really warm. It`s not a Pressy (it`s an Intel # P43400E-478-N), but with the cover on my rig the CPU temp shows 60 C. The board and system temps are as low as before, though. I was very careful to clean my heatsink and properly apply my heat transfer paste. I`m of the opinion that the heatpipe assembly was sized for a P4 that wouldn`t be more than 2.8 gig, like the chip I just replaced. Anyway, part of my mod included dremeling out the hexagon holes in the back of the case for better air flow, where the hot air expells from the heatpipe fins. As a "brainstorm" I also added another 40 mm fan to suck more of the heat out of the fins. I replaced the thumbscrews that held to heatpipe/fan to the inside of the case with longer screws to secure the new 40 mm fan and grille to the outside of the case. There is maybe a little more air coming out than before, but not really that much more. In the past when I OCed the old chip to around 3.3 gig, the temps wouldn`t go much past 50 C, but the chip would reset itself in about 4 hours after it made my rig restart. I took the cover back off and again aimed the external blower fan at the same area I had it before to add more cooling. Even with that the CPU temp drops only to about 52 to 53 C. Now I`m considering getting some better air cooling, but I have a big problem with space and design. The Shuttle heatpipe/heatsink assembly appears to be offset differently than other rig setups, so I`m unsure that I can find anything that will fit. Plus, this case is so small that I won`t be able to fit anything larger than the 40 mm setup it now has. I don`t want to spend a bunch on phase or pelt, and there is absolutely NO room for water tubing in this rig. In fact, I have to use the proper sequence when assembling/disassembling this box because of how close stuff fits into this thing. The next thing I`m going to try is to take the new fan back off, and just put the grill on the outside of the case. Maybe the hex hole cut away portion will make enough difference on its own. On a final note the only other possibility for gettin more air into the case is to get some modders mesh. The drawback to that is the case cover is a wrap around with three sides, and it fits like a glove. Any drastic modding to it would greatly weaken it and make it flimsy. `Got any suggestions?
Hi hvac,

The cpu you have is a Prescott. The "E" designation after the 3400 assures me of that. Just to let you know that the Prescotts did run warmer that the older Northy's or "C" variants... That's due to them taking a little more juice to run and giving off more heat as a matter of design.

As for the temps. What program are you using to monitor those?? If the M/B and system are running the same temps, I'd suspect something else is a miss with the program or diode. The BIOS hardware monitor would be a good place to start for comparisons. I would expect to see maybe a 3-5degC increase over the North cpu at stock speeds. Most reviews posted those kind of results back when. As far as overclocking goes, the 3.4 probably won't go as high either, due to heat related issues.

Your looking at good case flow for cooling and that's good. I would also make sure the room temps are not any higher either. And one last thing. Arctic 5 does take a little bit to "set in" than the older versions of that product. At least that has been my experience. I personally liked AS3 the best...

Take care and I hope this helped, :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
BOOOOOOOO
I put my new power supply and mobo in a few minutes ago, and the same thing happens again FIREWORKS!!!! W00T W00T

Blah my onboard sound blew on 2 motherboards now. No clue why. Oh, and lol... I bumped my gpu memory up 5 MHz, and it went to a black screen lol. Not good overclocker
Hi cappy,

I checked around my house and I don't have any old sound cards laying around, sorry...

Are you sure something isn't shorting out the motherboard?? Seems suspicious to me that all of these sound cards are dying off... Maybe a bad ground or loose screw or metal piece under the motherboard or caught between some components... Well I've got to go to the doctor. We'll talk later.

Take care, :-)
post #1127 of 3773
Not sound cards, onboard sound. And my house isnt grounded right. I remember last year i was washing my hands and touched the metal surrounding the mirror, theres 2 lights, one on each side of it and i got a shock... Plus this new surge strip i got, has 2 lights, protected and grounded. Grounded isnt on. Any other of you guys have ANY and yes i mean ANY old sound cards or anything laying around?
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1128 of 3773
Hi Buick,

I didn`t know my chip was a "Pressy", and since these temps seem to be normal for for this particular chip I don`t feel so bad. I use XPC Tools to check my temps, and for OCing. It can change just about anything; CPU, AGP and RAM voltages, fan speeds, multiplier and FSB. The temps in XPC tools read the same as what BIOS shows. My gut tells me that I just don`t have enough cooling because I can make things cooler by using the external blower fan. Using it at half speed cuts way down on the fan noise, and there`s only about a degree of difference between half and full speeds. The heat transfer paste I got from a computer store. I asked for AS 5, but they were out, but they gave me a drop of some paste that I took home in an unused CPU container. However, the store guy didn`t know what paste it was. (BTW, why do you like AS 3 better than AS 5?) All I know is it was a silver/gray color, and just the right amount to spread across the chip when I twisted the HS gently against the top of the chip. I made sure none went over the edges of the chip and onto the pins. So, how much heat will the Pressy take and still be safe? I`m going to put that 40 mm fan back on the outside of the case, because I think it still helps and it`s not noisy at all. The main reason my case is so hard to cool is there is so much inside such a small case. The tray which holds my DVD drive, floppy and HDD has these items on top of one another with no air space in between. Fortunately, the HDD is on the bottom and I have an HS cooler which has two small fans, and it`s attached to the bottom of it with zip ties. However, that doesn`t leave but about 1/2" between the top of my RAM sticks and that cooler. So, there`s not much room for air to come across the MOBO. The MOBO is mounted directly to the bottom of the case. I have the rig sitting on a couple of "L" brackets, which raises it an inch. This allows some air flow beneath the case for some convection of heat away from the MOBO. The next thing I`m considering is to remove the floppy drive for more air flow between the DVD drive and the HDD. Just the ribbon cable from the floppy causes a lot of air restriction near the intake of the heatpipe fan. It`s situated where there is very little I can do in the way of cable management. I hate to give up the floppy because once in a great while I do have use for it. Also, all three drives are up against the front of the case, and no airflow can travel from the front of any of these items. If there was some feasible way I could mod the three sided cover for more air flow, that would be a huge help. So, what do you recommend to make this rig cooler? Remember, I don`t want to go phase or pelt; `too expensive.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P 4 Prescott, 3.4 gig. Shuttle SB61/478 GForce 7600GS Corsair 2gig DDRSDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 10Krpm SATA Windows XP Home SP2 19" wide Hanns LCD Logictech wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Shuttle CP50 300 watts Shuttle XPC barebones Logictech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P 4 Prescott, 3.4 gig. Shuttle SB61/478 GForce 7600GS Corsair 2gig DDRSDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 10Krpm SATA Windows XP Home SP2 19" wide Hanns LCD Logictech wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Shuttle CP50 300 watts Shuttle XPC barebones Logictech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1129 of 3773
Hi hvac,

Ok here's some suggestions... You only have a 40mm fan on the back of the case? That seems very small. Most 40mm fans only push about 13cfm or so. You might want to try some larger fan(s) by using a adapter if you can find one or enlarging the hole. The way you describe the case it sounds like a desktop type vs. a tower. Is this correct??
As far as the cables go. Using rounded cables are easy to install and don't block the air paths as much. The link I listed below has those as well for some ideas.
The store probably gave you a thermal heat transfer paste. I've used that in the past and it will work, but the difference with AS3 or 5 is the addition of Silver to the paste. That's what makes it more expensive and a better heat transfer paste. Here's a link to give you some ideas of products that are out there:

http://www.coolerguys.com/ There are other vendors out there, but this web site will give you some ideas.

As far as modifications go. Depending on the room in your case, fans added to the top or in front to draw more air in (front) or help draw hot air out (top) will help the most. You'll just need to get a nice cross flow going through the case. Generally a balanced flow is the best. By that I mean fans of equal size and flow rate. 80mm or 92mm would be the preferred size if you can. I added ans to the outside of a case as well. They look like warts, but they did help with air flow. The particular case I'm speaking of was an old steel PII case circa 1998. It had only one inlet fan. I placed a couple of holes and fans in it on the back and front to help with air flow. In fact, that case had my second SMP computer system in it. It does not look pretty, but it gets the job done.

Why do I like AS3 over AS5?? I think the AS3 was easier to apply initially and then remove later if the need arose. It seemed creamier to me. The AS5 is thicker and more paste like and it's tougher to apply. Supposedly it transfers heat better, but I have not seen that with my rigs. A tenth of a degree here or there isn't going to matter much.

As for the heat. I'm not really sure. As with all Intel processors, your cpu has a built in thermal limiting diode. Once it gets to a certain heat point, it will throttle back until the heat subsides. I've always liked that feature over the AMD's. The early AMD's had no such thing. Many AMD cpu died because of poor heat sink installation. Tom's hardware did a project on this subject many years ago (maybe 6 years ago). They actually and purposely installed a heat sink incorrectly, only to find out the cpu melted itself...

I hope this helped, :-)
post #1130 of 3773
Hi Guys,

Folders Inc is looking good and so is Team_Folders_Inc. I think shajbot should take one rig form Team_Folders and place it on himself... cappy - do you have 2 rigs or 3?? You should add one if you've not done so already. That will get the team up to full strength.

If you add a rig to your sig shaj you'll be able to ascend into the top 100 better. Team_Folders will be Ok...

As for me, everything seems to be Ok... All of the computers are folding and I will be adding an 11th rig in the middle of the week. I've got prices scoped out for a new C2D rig. Depending on prices it would be a ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte Mainboard with either an E6400 or E6700 and DDR2 667 ram. I'll also be checking eBay for those items as well. Maybe late summer for that...
I should be going over 250,000 tomorrow sometime. Whew...

Take care guys and Fold On! :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Original Folding Teams
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)