Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Team Folders Inc. (No members needed) - Page 163

post #1621 of 3773
Well, if you want to have good performance for $170, then either the used cards you're looking at would work, but maybe you could try the 8600 GTS? While it's not as powerful as the X1950 XTX, it's still not a slouch and should run whatever games you run at very good settings.
post #1622 of 3773
Buick needs to good card to help him battling the "bad guys" , I don't think the 8600GTS would be a good weapon of choice to use. Especially it's less than the card he's having now.

Man, just started SMP again last night and this morning the console says Deadline pass for SMP WU...at 80%...
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1623 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajbot View Post
Buick needs to good card to help him battling the "bad guys" , I don't think the 8600GTS would be a good weapon of choice to use. Especially it's less than the card he's having now.

Man, just started SMP again last night and this morning the console says Deadline pass for SMP WU...at 80%...
Hi Shajbot and LBN,

As for the video card. I play a lot of Air combat games - Flight sims like MS CFS 1,2, & 3. Along with WWI Red Baron and Crimson sky. With the new Samsung monitor the resolution of 1680x1050 really slows things down some if all of the eye candy is used. I like really high quality and detail, so I know what I'm shooting at on the ground. I don't want to kill my guys! So that's why that question.

In the near future, I'll go with either a GX2 or 8800GTS... The X1950XTX will go on to folding, I hope. Also the 4400+ that is currently in my main rig, might go to a 4800+, and this 4400+ cpu to folding as well. So there you have it.

So I'm just looking for deals and thought I'd ask you guys...

Thanks for your input, :-)
post #1624 of 3773
Any time, man!
post #1625 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboitenoire View Post
Any time, man!
Thanks guys!

Just a quick update. Just received words that my OCZ memory for my newest Conroe rig won't get here until Friday, July 13th. So I won't have that rig up until next week. I work this weekend...

I'm also watching several auctions on eBay for different video cards. I have bids on 4 of them. X1950XTX, 8800GTS (2) one 640mb and one 320mb and a 7950GX2. Right now I've been out bid on all of them. Bit I'm watching the prices and seeing where they go. Some of these auctions get way out of hand! People start bidding and don't pay attention or don't know that they just paid more for the item than they could have retail... Go figure.. I guess it's the bidding/auction "frenzy" that gets to them, or maybe lack of information and knowledge.

Take care and I'll keep you posted, :-)
post #1626 of 3773
Yeah, that seems to happen on some things, but others just putter along until the end. I auctioned off the keyboard from an IBM PC/AT to finance this rig, along with some old PC-100 RAM and a PII 300 with DFI board, 8MB Leadtek GPU, and Sound Blaster PCI sound card. The PII setup got a measly $2.99, the RAM $5.20, but the keyboard got a whopping $115.
post #1627 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboitenoire View Post
Yeah, that seems to happen on some things, but others just putter along until the end. I auctioned off the keyboard from an IBM PC/AT to finance this rig, along with some old PC-100 RAM and a PII 300 with DFI board, 8MB Leadtek GPU, and Sound Blaster PCI sound card. The PII setup got a measly $2.99, the RAM $5.20, but the keyboard got a whopping $115.
Hi LBN,

A measley $2.99?? Wow... I remember buying mine in early 1998 for $300.00, and I thought that was huge! It was one of those made in Puerta Rico cpu's that could be overclocked to 450mhz... I could not afford the "real" PII 450's becuase they were all over $450.00. I fried several video cards during that period of time. The fsb was locked to the agp bus on most motherboards and my ASUS P2B 440BX chipset was no different. So a 100fsb = a 83fsb for the AGP slot. Normally it ran at 66mhz. That's a 26% overclock. The video cards of the day couldn't handle it. Finally I got a TNT2 with 16mb of ram and was able to keep it for a while...

Ah, The good ol' days... :-)
post #1628 of 3773
Yeah, my DFI couldn't even overclock. It was also the 440 BX chipset. Only thing that ever died in that system was the 10 GB Quantum Fireball I had in there. That's when I decided it was time to get this system .
post #1629 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455buick View Post
Hi Shajbot and LBN,

As for the video card. I play a lot of Air combat games - Flight sims like MS CFS 1,2, & 3. Along with WWI Red Baron and Crimson sky. With the new Samsung monitor the resolution of 1680x1050 really slows things down some if all of the eye candy is used. I like really high quality and detail, so I know what I'm shooting at on the ground. I don't want to kill my guys! So that's why that question.

In the near future, I'll go with either a GX2 or 8800GTS... The X1950XTX will go on to folding, I hope. Also the 4400+ that is currently in my main rig, might go to a 4800+, and this 4400+ cpu to folding as well. So there you have it.

So I'm just looking for deals and thought I'd ask you guys...

Thanks for your input, :-)
Hi Guys,

Just an update.
My OCZ DDR2 ram arrived today. I'll be playing with getting that Conroe E6300 rig going tomorrow, Thursday 07/12. In between my "other" things to do, like mowing the lawn, cleaning out gutters, buying a used car, just the normal stuff....

I also won a 7950GX2 video card on eBay today. It was a "little" more than the original $220.00 I wanted to pay, but I'll take it. They are selling them on the web for $395.00 plus. So I'll also be setting up another gpu folding rig in the very near future. The X1950XTX I have in my main rig will be married to an ASUS motherboard, AMD64 3800+ and Crucial ram. The hard drive, case and power supply have yet to be purchased.... So many things to do... I hope to get the gpu rig going by month's end.

All of this will give me 15 folding rigs. Wow!! I can't believe this "folding thing" started just 16 months ago with you guys and my lowly P4 3.2 rig. Which by the way is still going strong. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement over the past months.

BTW - I passed 700,000 points today. On to 800,000....

Take care and Fold On!!! :-)
post #1630 of 3773
I drove some 30+ miles today and my right leg is very worn out right now lol. Slept for 2 hours straight after I got home.
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Original Folding Teams
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)