Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Team Folders Inc. (No members needed) - Page 62

post #611 of 3773
The high end 478 boards are going for a real premium these days. You might be better off selling the mobile CPU and getting the desktop equivalent. They're more expensive since they're the top of the line 533 MHz FSB 478s, but you can probably get one for a fair amount less than the 3.06 mobile and high end mobo combined.
Sig rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 23A Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi HD 3870 2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250 GB Seagate RAID 0 + 320 GB Seagate Samsung SATA DVD Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate 64 bit Viewsonic VA2012wb 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX620 Lian Li V2000b Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 23A Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi HD 3870 2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250 GB Seagate RAID 0 + 320 GB Seagate Samsung SATA DVD Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate 64 bit Viewsonic VA2012wb 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX620 Lian Li V2000b Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #612 of 3773
This week result has been disclosed. We're off the third and the second by not much. Good job guys, keep it up.

16807 Team TOFTOF
12507 Team Just Be Cause
11717 Team owners
11521 Team Folders Inc.
11005 Team CPU Burners
9666 Team Zang!
8487 Team Overclock Foldowzers
7511 Team Mixers
7143 Team Ascension
6680 Team The 939's
6461 Team Lone Folders
6391 Team MHz Masters
6303 Team Core
6189 Team ArMaDa
6021 Team Slow-'n-Low
5600 Team Average Joes
4577 Team AyBaBu
4040 Team X-Treme
1975 Team AMD Folders
1512 Team PFFT
1327 Team Lean Mean Folding Machines
1144 Team Inspiration
1113 Team Orphanage
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
post #613 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeric
The high end 478 boards are going for a real premium these days. You might be better off selling the mobile CPU and getting the desktop equivalent. They're more expensive since they're the top of the line 533 MHz FSB 478s, but you can probably get one for a fair amount less than the 3.06 mobile and high end mobo combined.
Hi taeric,

Thanks for the post, advice and info! However, here's the deal. I bought a P4 3.06Ghz on eBay for $105.00. After getting it home and installing it in 3 different motherboards, I found out from the sSpec number that it is/was a "mobile" cpu. Mutiplier is locked at 12 and voltage is locked between 1.2 and 1.3v. In a way the seller mis-lead on their auction, but they did list the sSpec number of SL77P. Only after some investigation did I find out that it was/is a mobile cpu.

So now the dilemma. I'm looking on eBay for a used DFI Lan Party or Asus P4C800 to use with this cpu. Most of these used M/B seem to be going for about $40.00 to $60.00 bucks. I'll then need some high FSB PC4000 DDR ($158.00 - the most expensive item). I have one last 160Gb SATA HDD to give up and an ATI 850pro Video card. I need a case ($60.00 or less), cd/rom ($50.00 or less) and operating system ($79.00). About $512.00 total... I think.

Based on some articles and reviews here at overclock and elsewhere, I'll be able to overclock the fsb to 250+ (stably) and get the full effect from the cpu. I've seen where some folks have gotten about 3.6Ghz out of this cpu on air cooling. That would equate to about a 300 fsb! I think that's really pushing the motherboard, but it is possible, I guess. The added advantage is low heat. Since it's only a folding rig, the overclock doesn't worry me, but costs above $500.00 in total due... If my wife really knew what I was up too... she'd kill me! I've gone OCD on folding. All to your credit, I might add. he,he,he...

I'm just trying to cut my losses and also add another folding rig, for my push on October 1st thru the 31st to the 100,000 points mark and above..... If I can't make a go of it, then the 7 rigs I have will have to do!

I also have my eye on some "other" options, but nothing concrete...

Thanks again, :-)
post #614 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajbot
This week result has been disclosed. We're off the third and the second by not much. Good job guys, keep it up.

16807 Team TOFTOF
12507 Team Just Be Cause
11717 Team owners
11521 Team Folders Inc.
11005 Team CPU Burners
9666 Team Zang!
8487 Team Overclock Foldowzers
7511 Team Mixers
7143 Team Ascension
6680 Team The 939's
6461 Team Lone Folders
6391 Team MHz Masters
6303 Team Core
6189 Team ArMaDa
6021 Team Slow-'n-Low
5600 Team Average Joes
4577 Team AyBaBu
4040 Team X-Treme
1975 Team AMD Folders
1512 Team PFFT
1327 Team Lean Mean Folding Machines
1144 Team Inspiration
1113 Team Orphanage
Hi shajbot,

Yeah, we're consistently in the top 5 right now. TOFTOF is getting some real help from soloz2! He's making 18,000+ points a month using 3 rigs. I'm not sure how he does it, but the figures are there for all to see. It takes you and me or cappy and me or peroxide and me to make up those kinda numbers! No way we'll be able to catch them or even beat them. Oh well... Top 5 is good!

Team_Folders is doing good as well. I'm hoping to get one more rig folding by months end. It would give me 8 total for the cause and 5 for Team_Folders. They'll be in the top 100 for overclock by year's end...

Good work guys and keep up the good cheer!

Fold On! :-)
post #615 of 3773
Just be careful with a P4C800. I have a Dothan on one, and I can't get it to boot stable above 246 MHz. With clockgen, I can push that up somewhat higher, but 300+ MHz does not appear to be attainable. The mobo is definitely the weak link; I know the CPU and RAM can handle those speeds. Don't get me wrong, it's a great mobo, but the speed is somewhat limited.

If this is just for a folding rig, go dirt cheap on the case. You may need to add a fan or two, but there's no point is investing in a moderate or better case. New dual layer DVD drives are down around $30 now, so you can shave a bit there from your estimate. If you're adventerous, you could go with Linux and save on the OS. If not, someone is selling a copy of Win2k on our site for $40 if I remember correctly. You can definitely do better on the RAM. You can generally get 2x512 MB of TCCD on our site for around $100, and that will easily keep up with that CPU even if you can OC it like crazy.

Since I'm at least partially responsible for you're wife wanting to kill you, I'm hoping to shave off enough dollars that she might just maim you instead.
Sig rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 23A Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi HD 3870 2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250 GB Seagate RAID 0 + 320 GB Seagate Samsung SATA DVD Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate 64 bit Viewsonic VA2012wb 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX620 Lian Li V2000b Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 23A Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi HD 3870 2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250 GB Seagate RAID 0 + 320 GB Seagate Samsung SATA DVD Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate 64 bit Viewsonic VA2012wb 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX620 Lian Li V2000b Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #616 of 3773
Hey I'm going to apply for a job at a local buffet, try to get the source going so wish me luck guys! Thanks a lot
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
Of A Down Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 @ 3.0Ghz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VisionTek HD4850 Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD320 + WD400 HP DVD burner Windows XP PRO Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic Hp keyboard FSP 450W + TT 430W Antec 3000B MX518 
Mouse Pad
Staples' 
  hide details  
Reply
post #617 of 3773
Ill be looking for a job at the end of school, maybe sooner. Then ill start being able to buy stuff before i actualy have to save money. (dual core here i come)
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
New One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2 x250 ASUS M3A78 Asus 4830 - Worst cooling ever. 2X2 ddr2 800 G.Skillz 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate 250 Sata WD 500 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OCZ Modxtream 500w mod. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #618 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeric
Just be careful with a P4C800. I have a Dothan on one, and I can't get it to boot stable above 246 MHz. With clockgen, I can push that up somewhat higher, but 300+ MHz does not appear to be attainable. The mobo is definitely the weak link; I know the CPU and RAM can handle those speeds. Don't get me wrong, it's a great mobo, but the speed is somewhat limited.

If this is just for a folding rig, go dirt cheap on the case. You may need to add a fan or two, but there's no point is investing in a moderate or better case. New dual layer DVD drives are down around $30 now, so you can shave a bit there from your estimate. If you're adventerous, you could go with Linux and save on the OS. If not, someone is selling a copy of Win2k on our site for $40 if I remember correctly. You can definitely do better on the RAM. You can generally get 2x512 MB of TCCD on our site for around $100, and that will easily keep up with that CPU even if you can OC it like crazy.

Since I'm at least partially responsible for you're wife wanting to kill you, I'm hoping to shave off enough dollars that she might just maim you instead.
Hi taeric,

You are too funny... :-) Maiming is good!!! My wife knows I gety OCD on stuff like this and just tolerates me. She's in Calif right now and enjoying herself for a week or so. That leaves me to getting some folding rigs together ;-)

As for the P4C800. Supposedly a guy over at extremeoverclock, took a DFI Lan Party motherboard to 300fsb with the "M" version of this cpu and got to 3.6Ghz on air. He had some screen shots to prove it. Seems very high to me, and as we all know, results from one overclocker are going to be different when compared to another. I've got several bids right now on motherboards in eBay. I'll know by Monday of next week which ones I can snipe... for my price range. 246fsb is 2.952Ghz with the 3.06 mobile cpu. That will probably be Ok for now. This will make 8 rigs running. 5 for Team_Folders and 3 for me, 455buick... I see those opterons are really fast when OC'd and folding. I might go that way later on on with a dual core...

Thanks for writing back, :-)
post #619 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy
Ill be looking for a job at the end of school, maybe sooner. Then ill start being able to buy stuff before i actualy have to save money. (dual core here i come)
Hi cappy,

Good luck on the job hunt! I hope you make enough to buy all of those "expensive" computers toys...

I just picked up an ASUS P4C800 for $100.00 and OCZ PC4000 Gold DDR for 102.50 on eBay. Hopefully I'll have the P4 3.06 mobile cpu going by weeks end! This will absolutely be my last folding rig! No more room anywhere for more rigs. I think 8 is enough, and the money is all gone...

Take care and good luck! :-)
post #620 of 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajbot
Hey I'm going to apply for a job at a local buffet, try to get the source going so wish me luck guys! Thanks a lot
Hey shajbot,

How's the job hunt going?? Any luck?? With skills like yours you should be looking at computer shops in your area...

Good luck, :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Original Folding Teams
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Team Competition › Original Folding Teams › Team Folders Inc. (No members needed)