Overclock.net banner

GTX465 to full GTX470 flashing guide!

122K views 543 replies 137 participants last post by  brettjv 
#1 ·
Apparently the GTX465 can be flashed to a GTX470 with all the SPs, TMUs and ROPs enabled! Makes me have second thoughts about my 5770s... at least they were a lot cheaper though. Anyway this was originally found on the Romanian site Lab501 here.

I have fixed up the translation of the flashing instructions:

NOTE: Do not restart or power off the computer until this entire process is completed, or you may end up with a bricked card that has to be blind flashed.

1. Download the GTX465 Unlock Pack and unzip the files to a bootable flash drive. To make the flash drive bootable, put these files on it.

2. Boot from the flash drive and navigate to the directory where the files from the archive were extracted to.

3. Erase the EEPROM with the following command (without quotes): "nvflash --eraseeeprom". Confirm the command with "y" when prompted.

4. Flash the card with the GTX470 bios with the following command (without quotes): "nvflash -4 -5 -6 gtx470.rom". When this has completed, the process is done and the computer can be restarted.

Anybody wanna try this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
So I am sure Nvidia will be putting a halt on all there outstanding orders if this is true?? Maybe I will rethink my Thoughts on purchasing a GTX470 in light of this info?
You could, but it would be luck of the draw.

There are really no guarantees that the extra CUDA cores/ROPs on your 465 will work when unlocked though, but if you're satisfied with a 465 over a 470 in general, then why not, since it'd just be a bonus if the BIOS flash did properly allow the locked cores to function

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
Did they benchmark it?

Because nVidia litterally uses a laser to bin their chips.
According to a Romanian website, I believe they did bench it before and after a flash with the 470 bios and the results after the flash allowed the 465 to thoroughly beat a stock-clocked 5850...but this really can't be confirmed or denied, as we only have the supposed benchmarks from that site.

Link: http://lab501.ro/placi-video/cum-tra...465-in-gtx-470

#7 ·
What about the memory?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
From what I've read the BIOS has no effect on memory. People who have flashed a 470 to a 480 still only get the 470 amount of memory.
This, the chips physically aren't there. 480 has 12 chips, 470 has 10, and the 465 has 8.

The 465 is just a 470 with 2 missing chips and most likely a BIOS flash to disable the faulty cores

#12 ·
OMG, just read the google translate of that review. You'll see that it is true. Thr 465 they got is EXACTLY the design of a 470. And after flashing, the memory and the bus actually increased. The 465 is now a 470. Get that into your heads.

Chances are, if you go NOW and buy a point of view gtx465, you can flash it and get a gtx470. REALLY!!!!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 495 View Post
OMG, just read the google translate of that review. You'll see that it is true. Thr 465 they got is EXACTLY the design of a 470. And after flashing, the memory and the bus actually increased. The 465 is now a 470. Get that into your heads.

Chances are, if you go NOW and buy a point of view gtx465, you can flash it and get a gtx470. REALLY!!!!
I don't understand why the GTX465 would be an 100% identical design with the same amount of memory chips as the GTX470. That would be a senseless cost. And if the chips are missing and you're forcing it to see the extra memory something's got to not work right there. This is of course assuming you're lucky enough to have the unlocked cores not be defective to begin with.

Though if that performance is really true and they see no problems, this is just an amazing discovery. Brings back good memories of the old days.

EDIT: As you can see those chips are actually missing on the GTX465. I really can't imagine that would work well.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Interesting but I would be worried about activating faulty cores.
But maybe they're disabling perfectly good cores to meet the demands for the 465's? Certainly there should be reservations about it, but it could work out just fine.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
But maybe they're disabling perfectly good cores to meet the demands for the 465's? Certainly there should be reservations about it, but it could work out just fine.
Well you can't deny the fact that NVIDIA has a lot of dysfunctional chips lying around of varying defects due to the previous yield issues. They're not going to just throw them out if they can make some kind of use of them. You can safely bet their top priority is to get rid of the defective/partially working chips as soon as possible before they start producing new ones. Of course, we don't know if they are actually doing this but it would make plenty of sense if they did.

#18 ·
And..
Ths is why I'm tapping this card. Should be about next week to get the ball rolling. Vacation first!

Anyways. Remember how there was all this hubbub about AMD triple cores working as Quad cores?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0 View Post
I don't understand why the GTX465 would be an 100% identical design with the same amount of memory chips as the GTX470. That would be a senseless cost. And if the chips are missing and you're forcing it to see the extra memory something's got to not work right there. This is of course assuming you're lucky enough to have the unlocked cores not be defective to begin with.

Though if that performance is really true and they see no problems, this is just an amazing discovery. Brings back good memories of the old days.

EDIT: As you can see those chips are actually missing on the GTX465. I really can't imagine that would work well.

the card that lab501 used in theri review had and still has all of the stuff the 470 has. actually you can buy a card exactly like that in romania, from pcgarage.ro...
point of view gtx465 for 385$ / 285 euros.

Nvidia made a mistake. They rushed things. They wanted to get a card out on the market to compete with ati prices. Simple as that.

Im willing to bet, anyone out there with a point of view gtx465 (with all the 10 chips), can flash a gtx470 bios and get 1280mb and 320 bits bus. "amazing discovery" indeed, right?

gtx465, the exact same card used be lab501 to turn it into a gtx470

#22 ·
Quote:

the card that lab501 used in theri review had and still has all of the stuff the 470 has. actually you can buy a card exactly like that in romania, from pcgarage.ro...

Nvidia made a mistake. They rushed things. They wanted to get a card out on the market to compete with ati prices. Simple as that.

Im willing to bet, anyone out there with a point of view gtx465 (with all the 10 chips), can flash a gtx470 bios and get 1280mb and 320 bits bus. "amazing discovery" indeed, right?

More like NV's pathetic attempt at creating a buzz over a buzzless card.

Lets send some obscure Romanian site a fully functional 470 dressed as a 465 and watch them sell like hotcakes afterward.

I'll wait for independent verified results from an entity that does not make advertisement $ from NV.

#23 ·
Quote:

We've seen these cards before. Basically these are actual GTX470's with unofficially modded chips that allows the GTX465 BIOS to use it properly (something a regular GTX470 can't do). It is extremely unlikely these will be production models due to cost reduction and security reasons (which in effect makes this guide mildly useless if it is unable to be replicated on cards that everyone can get). These few unofficial cards that have been released will be quite rare and may cost much higher in the future since they can be passed off as "mutant GTX470" models.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
More like NV's pathetic attempt at creating a buzz over a buzzless card.

Lets send some obscure Romanian site a fully functional 470 dressed as a 465 and watch them sell like hotcakes afterward.

I'll wait for independent verified results from an entity that does not make advertisement $ from NV.
Someone like.. NCSpec later this week?

#25 ·
LOL bet theirs going to be some RMA ing going on if this takes a grip,

If they are Faulty and bios locked out then surely thats for a reason,

If you want to take the risk then that would be down to you but dont come back screaming in a few weeks or months that your card died after you flashed your 465 with a 470's bios or complain that its crashing under stress,

If they have disabled bad chips to enable low end users to purchase the Fermi cards then good on them but like i said if you flash and it all goes pair shaped dont come back complaining.

Nobody knows what the problems with the cards are.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by macca_dj View Post
LOL bet theirs going to be some RMA ing going on if this takes a grip,

If they are Faulty and bios locked out then surely thats for a reason,

If you want to take the risk then that would be down to you but dont come back screaming in a few weeks or months that your card died after you flashed your 465 with a 470's bios or complain that its crashing under stress,

If they have disabled bad chips to enable low end users to purchase the Fermi cards then good on them but like i said if you flash and it all goes pair shaped dont come back complaining.

Nobody knows what the problems with the cards are.
Well it's a risk. I don't think anyone is fully expecting it to work with 100% of the cards.. this is exactly like unlocking extra cores on AMD processors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.