Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Opteron vs. Athlon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Opteron vs. Athlon - Page 3

post #21 of 44
Most people are running the new Sandy KAB3E steppings at about 3 GHz on air... that's a 36% Oc. but like WaxShop said, there is no guarantee on OCs. I have seen very little difference in OCing performance between the Opty 146/148 and 3700+ SD KAB2E/KAB3E.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricmix
Umm I have not heard of anyone not being able to get a good overclock with the Opterons. Most can run at least a 25% stable overclock with the any of the 1xx series single cores. Can you say that for any line of Athlon 64's? I personally can run a 42.5% overclock prime stable. I believe I am more the norm, then amongst the lucky "10".

hrm...

link

link

maybe you're not looking in the right places?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
And for your information I'v owned both a 3700+ and an Opty 148 they are bascially identical.... Nuff said
So, if there isn't much difference, why would some people choose an Opty over 3700+?
The MBP
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 2.4 GHz Intel HD Graphics + GeForce GT 330M 256 MB PCI-E 4 GB 320 GB 
OSMonitorCase
Mac OS X: Snow Leopard 15.4'' LCD Aluminum! 
  hide details  
Reply
The MBP
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 2.4 GHz Intel HD Graphics + GeForce GT 330M 256 MB PCI-E 4 GB 320 GB 
OSMonitorCase
Mac OS X: Snow Leopard 15.4'' LCD Aluminum! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipnogg
So, if there isn't much difference, why would some people choose an Opty over 3700+?
Cause they bit into a "FAD" its like some real popular person saying drink gatorade its amazing.. how many ppl are gonna rush out and buy gatorade just because they heard it was awesome?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop
Look at that dothan fad.... DEAD thats where this is headed.
The dothan fad died off not because of the cpu itself, because of the boards. You can only convert 478 boards over to 479 for the dothan. The reason nobody uses them is because with a dothan, you cant use pci-e. There IS an asus board (P4GD1) that is PCI-E and 479, but it is impossible to find. The dothans are hands down the FASTEST cpus on the planet for desktop users. At 2.6ghz, a dothan can match an FX55 at 3.4ghz, both are 9ops aswell.
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigval
The dothan fad died off not because of the cpu itself, because of the boards. You can only convert 478 boards over to 479 for the dothan. The reason nobody uses them is because with a dothan, you cant use pci-e. There IS an asus board (P4GD1) that is PCI-E and 479, but it is impossible to find. The dothans are hands down the FASTEST cpus on the planet for desktop users. At 2.6ghz, a dothan can match an FX55 at 3.4ghz, both are 9ops aswell.
no it isnt it lacks many things like sse3 64 bit its inferior and it wasnt at 3.4 ill find the benches if you want @ 2.6 it rivals an fx-55 AT STOCK not beats it i did tons of homework on it cause i ALMOST bught into it.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipnogg
So, if there isn't much difference, why would some people choose an Opty over 3700+?
because back then, Opterons were cheaper then X2s.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 175 Asus A8N32-SLI eVGA 7950 GX2 Corsair 3500LL Pro 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD740GD + WD2500KS XP SP2 Dell 2005FPW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic S12 600w Antec P-180 Logitech MX510 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 44
Ok, adas owns one and we compared it to EvilXP's FX55 when it was under phase. They both ran aquamark and adas's cpu score was HIGHER than evil's. Like I said evil's cpu was at either 3.4 or 3.5 (cant remember) and adas's dothan was at 2.6. The Dothan has 2MB of L2 cache though aswell. If you were to buy a dothan these days, get the new Yonah. The Yonah is basically dualcore dothan and I'm sure it has 64bit and SSE3.
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 44
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_con...ookie%5Ftest=1

@2.7 it beats the fx-55 stock... but not in everything
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6700 "ES" Lapped Gigabyte DQ6 XFX 7950GX2 G.Skill PC6400 2GB-HZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar SE16 250GB Microsoft XP / Kubuntu BenQ 20.1 LCD Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouse
FSP Group FX600-GLN Lian Li PC-7B Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_con...ookie%5Ftest=1

@2.7 it beats the fx-55 stock... but not in everything
Well I know in aquamark the dothan really cleans up against everything else. If the dothan isnt as good as I say, why does the dothan hold the world records of many benchmarks over Fx's and p4's (which intel holds all of) ?
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Opteron vs. Athlon