Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › CPU 4 pin VS 8 pin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPU 4 pin VS 8 pin - Page 2

Poll Results: Off topic but which brand do you prefer for m-atx boards?

 
  • 27% (3)
    MSI 890GX G65
  • 72% (8)
    Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
11 Total Votes  
post #11 of 33
i never really look at matx boards - im right now selling my old amd mobo - GA-MA790FX-UD5P - but its a $200+ ATX board.

MSI - looks ok - not heaps of point with that much cooling if the cpu can only draw 150w via its main power source....not much of an overclock for a quad

Gigabyte - looks good - second PCI-E slot is 16x physical, 8x electrical - not that it matters much i guess - and no heatsinks - can easily add them (enzotach make copper ones etc)

Asus - No mosfet heatsinks again - easy to fix, weird layout nad no right angle sata


Of the lot on face value - i'd go the Gigabyte
But i normally spend up to a month looking at reviews on things before buying most things......so this is by no means a "educated" decision.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottath View Post
i never really look at matx boards - im right now selling my old amd mobo - GA-MA790FX-UD5P - but its a $200+ ATX board.

MSI - looks ok - not heaps of point with that much cooling if the cpu can only draw 150w via its main power source....not much of an overclock for a quad

Gigabyte - looks good - second PCI-E slot is 16x physical, 8x electrical - not that it matters much i guess - and no heatsinks - can easily add them (enzotach make copper ones etc)

Asus - No mosfet heatsinks again - easy to fix, weird layout nad no right angle sata


Of the lot on face value - i'd go the Gigabyte
But i normally spend up to a month looking at reviews on things before buying most things......so this is by no means a "educated" decision.
i found loads of reviews on the MSI one, but only like 1-2 for the gigabyte one and none at all for the Asus.....I already spent a month searching and the MSI doesn't sound bad, how much do you think I can OC on that little voltage?
post #13 of 33
you should still be able to get a pretty ok overclock - but with high current drawing chips (like quads) the limit of a 4pin connector is quickly diminished.
Sure it can pull more than the 150w down via that cable - but its better if it comes from the 8pin as it will be a "cleaner" power supply.

as for a figure - i wouldnt have a clue....sorry.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottath View Post
you should still be able to get a pretty ok overclock - but with high current drawing chips (like quads) the limit of a 4pin connector is quickly diminished.
Sure it can pull more than the 150w down via that cable - but its better if it comes from the 8pin as it will be a "cleaner" power supply.

as for a figure - i wouldnt have a clue....sorry.
after all theres months on OCN is still don't get what "clean power" coming from the Mosfets mean

care to explain please?

everybody gets a nice chocolate rep cookie afterwards
post #15 of 33
how you rep me

clean power refers mainly to a stable current - ie not fluctuating.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottath View Post
how you rep me

clean power refers mainly to a stable current - ie not fluctuating.
dammit lol
i'll force feed one to you

so if the CPU exceeds that 150w limit of the 4pin, what will happen?
post #17 of 33
i also dont like most chocolate.......call me weird but meh.

nothing - the 150w is a specification - what that 4 cables (2 12v, 2 ground) should be able to carry.
exceeding the 150w means that there is more power going down the cable than the specification - thus the psu shouldnt have to support this draw. any quality psu and it will by design be able to sustain > 150w on the 12v line though.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottath View Post
i also dont like most chocolate.......call me weird but meh.

nothing - the 150w is a specification - what that 4 cables (2 12v, 2 ground) should be able to carry.
exceeding the 150w means that there is more power going down the cable than the specification - thus the psu shouldnt have to support this draw. any quality psu and it will by design be able to sustain > 150w on the 12v line though.
so HX650w is safe?
post #19 of 33
definatly.

i run a HX-620 - and its powered my last 5 rigs with ease: (Peak overclocks noted)
Pentium D 805 + 7900GS
Q6600 @ 3.96ghz + Dual HD3870
Q6600 @ 3.96ghz + Dual HD4870
Phenom II 955 @ 4ghz + Dual HD4870
Core i7 860 @ 4ghz + HD5850
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4771 GA-Z87X-UD3H 2*HD5850 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw + 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | 3*3TB Raid 5 | Corsair F60 Windows 8 x64 *EYEFINITY* Dell 2405FPW + 2*E248WFP Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX-850v2 Lian Li v2010b M$ Basic  Asus Xonar D2X 
AudioAudio
Swan D1080 MK II 08  Shure SRH-440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottath View Post
definatly.

i run a HX-620 - and its powered my last 5 rigs with ease: (Peak overclocks noted)
Pentium D 805 + 7900GS
Q6600 @ 3.96ghz + Dual HD3870
Q6600 @ 3.96ghz + Dual HD4870
Phenom II 955 @ 4ghz + Dual HD4870
Core i7 860 @ 4ghz + HD5850
yah ok

now......*mumbles gotta figure out how to feed scott a ANZAC rep cookie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › CPU 4 pin VS 8 pin