Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [THINQ] BIOS will be dead in three years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[THINQ] BIOS will be dead in three years - Page 14

post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Just because you've never had kids use your computer, doesn't mean no-one has, once I found a kid in the BIOS on the schools computer before the techie put a password on them, he didn't do anything in there because it was obviously not something he should have been in, whereas with a GUI I'm pretty sure he would have checked out what it is simply because it looks like something he should be in.
i really don't think that's a substantial enough reason to halt progress. And like you said, password
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #132 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
I disagree with making a part that can break a computer user friendly, do Toyota, Ford, etc make the Engine Bay and the electronics that control it all user friendly? Only with the bits they need to see, the rest isn't user friendly and is not a smart idea to touch,

Once again, are you expected to know exactly how a motor and your cars computer work? Do they on purposely make it harder for mechanics to use and fix just so someone like you can fix it if they want?
They actually have made engines electronics alot easier nowadays you plug a computer in and you have access to everything and anyone can get the software and cables to do so

I don't want to work in customer support and hear a load of "MY MANUAL SAID THIS UEFI THING IS ON MY COMPUTER SO I WENT INTO IT AND HAD A LOOK AND NOW MY COMPUTER WON'T BOOT FIX IT"
you still get ppl going into BIOS and borking their computers so the complaints will simply replace the word BIOS with UEFI the fix and advice you give will be the same clear the CMOS

Oh, I'm fine with people using Windows, if they break it, then its easily fixable.

But lets play an assumption game here.

Lets assume I have a 5 year old son, right? Lets assume that one day, while Daddys at work, he decides to use Daddys computer, lets say that while its booting up, he sees "Press Delete to enter UEFI" and he does so, lets say that he then gets confused and looks at all the settings, etc and then manages to boot the computer at 2.4v, killing the CPU pretty damn fast.

Yeah, making the BIOS area of the computer more user friendly is a great idea.
if you 5 year son goes into UEFI and kills the CPU with 2.4V he can do the same with BIOS, the same options will be there but its a different way of selecting them
My answers are in bold
post #133 of 166
99% of the people who have a computer don't care if BIOS becomes UEFI, since most of them don't even know what a BIOS is, and I personally think we shouldn't care either, progress is good, well most of the times, I don't see a problem with an improved "BIOS" just yet.
post #134 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
99% of the people who have a computer don't care if BIOS becomes UEFI, since most of them don't even know what a BIOS is, and I personally think we shouldn't care either, progress is good, well most of the times, I don't see a problem with an improved "BIOS" just yet.
Only thing people seem to be whining about would be the GUI. I would hope that there would be a GUI or text interface option but really does it matter?

All the new dell machines have a GUI "Bios" I'm not sure if its (U)EFI based but its very simple and easy to navigate. I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to stay with something archaic like the BIOS interface.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post
Just because you've never had kids use your computer, doesn't mean no-one has, once I found a kid in the BIOS on the schools computer before the techie put a password on them, he didn't do anything in there because it was obviously not something he should have been in, whereas with a GUI I'm pretty sure he would have checked out what it is simply because it looks like something he should be in.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. DO READ WHAT THE ... BIOS REALLY IS!

1. BIOS != UI
2. There are passwords
3. If kid messes up things anyway, it's bad parenting, they should've teached him not to do that.

Reminds me of this


Lets blame others.
Battle Station
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Xeon E5520 Quad Core @ 2.27GHz ASUS Z8NA-D6 Aspeed AST2050 6 GB DDR3 
Hard Drive
2 x 500 GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Battle Station
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Xeon E5520 Quad Core @ 2.27GHz ASUS Z8NA-D6 Aspeed AST2050 6 GB DDR3 
Hard Drive
2 x 500 GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
2. There are passwords
Haha, passwords XD, i remember the times when my parents password protected it and the startup system, on my first PC, with the help of an uncle of mine.
I researched it a bit then simply reseted the BIOS XD. I was 11 years back then, i think. That was the first step of my ongoing 12 year computer experience.
Edited by Scorpion87 - 6/9/10 at 5:48am
Little Star
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8300 970 PRO GAMING/AURA MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G Kingston Hyper X Savage 2400 16G 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27MP68VQ Logitech G710+ Silverstone Strider ST85F 850W Fractal Design Define C Windowed 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba Tournament Edition Razer Goliathus Speed (Speed Edition) Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Star
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8300 970 PRO GAMING/AURA MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G Kingston Hyper X Savage 2400 16G 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27MP68VQ Logitech G710+ Silverstone Strider ST85F 850W Fractal Design Define C Windowed 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba Tournament Edition Razer Goliathus Speed (Speed Edition) Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 166
It's going to happen eventually, may as well embrace the end of BIOS. I'm not going to try to figure out why those against it are so passionate about it. It seems like most are just being hard headed. Not knowing anything about either one in depth, yet know for fact they won't like EFI. Some of the arguments against it are making for good entertainment at least. Read up on them both a little. I think you will see why this will be a good replacement. BIOS is a ticking time bomb anyway, it pretty much must go at some point. May as well be sooner than later.
post #138 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. DO READ WHAT THE ... BIOS REALLY IS!

1. BIOS != UI
2. There are passwords
3. If kid messes up things anyway, it's bad parenting, they should've teached him not to do that.

1.Bios is (Hardware Detection During Post) The UI=GUI Thats what you Control
2.Passwords (Can be bypassed)
3.If a Kid messes up = BAD PARENTING (Curiosity) After all why did you enter the bios first time ?


Reminds me of this


Lets blame others.


Does nobody see her with a ******* FAG heading for her cake hole
RIG 1
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS CH-V 990FX EVGA GTX 980 G-SKILL F3-14900 SNIPER 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro WD Black² PIONEER BDR-205 XSPC Raystorm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 8.1 MCE Nec 463 MX5500 DARK POWER PRO 1200 - P10 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster Cosmos II REVO DIRTY ASUS HDAV 1.3 Deluxe 
  hide details  
Reply
RIG 1
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASUS CH-V 990FX EVGA GTX 980 G-SKILL F3-14900 SNIPER 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro WD Black² PIONEER BDR-205 XSPC Raystorm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 8.1 MCE Nec 463 MX5500 DARK POWER PRO 1200 - P10 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster Cosmos II REVO DIRTY ASUS HDAV 1.3 Deluxe 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 166
Well, if it is better than BIOS, then bring it on. If it isnt, jus't don't use it lol
Ouroboros
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] Core2Quad Q9400 @2.66GHz [Asus] Benicia [MSI] R7850 Power Edition 4x1GB DDR2 @800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
[WD] Green 1TB Windows 7 64-bit [LG] Flatron W2453TQ [Logitech] K300 
PowerAudio
EuroTech 580W SilentPro Logitech Z3 
  hide details  
Reply
Ouroboros
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] Core2Quad Q9400 @2.66GHz [Asus] Benicia [MSI] R7850 Power Edition 4x1GB DDR2 @800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
[WD] Green 1TB Windows 7 64-bit [LG] Flatron W2453TQ [Logitech] K300 
PowerAudio
EuroTech 580W SilentPro Logitech Z3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #140 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
i really don't think that's a substantial enough reason to halt progress. And like you said, password
My point is the CMOS definitely looks like an area that you're not meant to access, adding a GUI completely removes that.

Also, lrn2read, I'm not against the UEFI as a whole, I'm against adding the GUI as its just a complete waste of space and is bloat, which is one of the reasons to replace the BIOS, it's like replacing Windows with OS X, sure you get less bloat but you still have bloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post
My answers are in bold
1) True, but my point still stands, the engine, etc is still as difficult to take apart for someone who isn't interested in cars as ever.
2) Yeah, but I'm willing to bet quite a few people who go into the CMOS will see its not somewhere they're meant to be because its not mouse based, simple, etc, which is my point, adding a GUI defeats that and makes it more slower for people who are actually meant to be in there to do stuff unless they disable the GUI.
3) True, except I'm assuming that the 5 year old son would think "Wait, I'm not meant to be in here!" with the text based CMOS, but not so much with a GUI added on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. DO READ WHAT THE ... BIOS REALLY IS!

1. BIOS != UI
2. There are passwords
3. If kid messes up things anyway, it's bad parenting, they should've teached him not to do that.

Reminds me of this
[/IMG]http://www.funnyandjokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/smoking-while-pregnant.jpg[/IMG]

Lets blame others.
1) Yes, just like how UEFI =/= GUI, as a lot of people who quote my posts in this topic seem to think, I figure its easier to explain if I just say BIOS as if I say CMOS all the time, they might get confused and think I'm talking about physical chips.
2) And they are easily cracked, especially if you are unlucky enough to get a bad battery, do you think the average noob is going to care that his computer resets to defaults every boot, as long as it boots? No.
3) Curiosity, number one reason why most of us are good with computers.
My system
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [THINQ] BIOS will be dead in three years