Overclock.net banner

my 890fx-gd70 got cooked

8K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  ussoldier_1984 
#1 ·
guys, the mobo is kia.

15 minutes under prime95. the system had a shutdown suddenly and that was it. something got cooked below the northbridge heatsink.

i don't think i overclocked too much.......

See less See more
#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000
View Post

790fx took a dump with a 1090t at 4.0 Ghz and prime...4+1 phase will not cut it anymore...looked good though..sad to see this happen.

You're kidding right? 4 phases can handle a 1090T under phase. The point is MSI is at fault here.

#12 ·
It would be yellow or red if it was too high, I think. My board marks voltages in red, when they are at their limits.

#14 ·
I agree, my PLL is like 1.5V. I just can't imagine that it wouldn't warn him if he went too high.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337LutZ
View Post

Is that 2.52 volt on PPL normal?

it was around 2.5v by default as i can remember. does look pretty high if compared with any intel boards. but i think it's just the way it should be according to this

i raised the each volt setting no more than 1 step, apart from the core, which was 2 steps.

i believe it was one of these "auto" actually killed the board, or the board is faulty at first place. i've never seen a northbridge got hot even after shutdown. it hurt me fingers like the back of a graphic card.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

2.5 is ok......it's a bit above default.......OP have you taken the NB cooler off and see what happened?

would that effect the rma?

ok, i did it anyway. there is nothing my eyes can see. no physical damage. but by the smell, my guess it was the nb chipset.

#19 ·
not if you don't scratch the screws but since you're RMAing don't worry about it then.......it probably because of the crappy paste that MSI puts on their NB.......when i bough my board i was loading @ 75ish C.......after taking it off and putting A.S.5 on it and adding fans my NB temps NEVER go over 55C......not even with my settings

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

not if you don't scratch the screws but since you're RMAing don't worry about it then.......it probably because of the crappy paste that MSI puts on their NB.......when i bough my board i was loading @ 75ish C.......after taking it off and putting A.S.5 on it and adding fans my NB temps NEVER go over 55C......not even with my settings

last msi board i owned was about 15 years ago. at that time their boards were very well made. and i was looking for a surprise when i bought this one. and i guess i have it now......

#22 ·
Quote:
Unfortunately MSI does not provide global warranty for these products. For service please contact your place of purchase or MSI branch of the country through which your product has been sold.

Regards,
MSI UK Service
uksupport.msi.com
ok, so i'll have to contact the local msi branch for service........but wait......

guess what? there is no such thing called msi ireland!!!

thank you very much for the very last of your boards i own.

#23 ·
My 790fx blew up first thing when i got a 1090t. Have a gigabyte ud7 and havent looked back. its northbridge gets hot as well but i'm 9 hours prime 95 stable so far.

#24 ·
I have always had very good luck with MSI boards and prefer them actually.

Through experience though, I always redo the TIM on the northbridge of all boards I purchase. I also like to place a sunion 40mm fan on them as well.

It seems like the board manufacturers slack when it comes to this area. Just look at the Asus Crosshair IV? You have to cut screws and reapply TIM in them!

#25 ·
My MSI 890FX got cooked too. 1090T on 4.0GHz and 1.4V jump did mine.... And how long to do you have to wait for message saying they have your RMA request form because its Wednesday and I filled one out on Saturday of last week and then yesterday I request a Technical Support form and still haven't got any emails or phone calls .

#26 ·
I've seen this happen far too often on MSI boards. That's the primary reason I don't buy them anymore. I had one K9A2 Platinum blow up under modest load and another have the CPU PWM heatsink retention mechanism just fall apart, allowing its spring to short my PSU. It died though the board lives on. MSI is just cheaply made junk, imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.