Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › is an I7 930 an overclocked I7 920? Thats what people say on other forums I've read.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is an I7 930 an overclocked I7 920? Thats what people say on other forums I've read. - Page 5

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
Hrmmmmm, what's 21x133? Oh. It's 2800.

And what's 20x133? 2660?? Is THAT why they list the 920 at 2.66 ghz and the 930 at 2.8? Naw, it can't be.

There is something to do with windows performance mode and upping your chip to 21x even when TB is set to off, however, it is NOT actually running that fast. I'm honestly tired of this though.

Run whatever you want and believe whatever you want.

When your benches fall short of everyone else and you wonder why, refer to this thread.

They CPUs are advertised at those speeds because Turbo Boost is only supposed to be active when certain conditions are met. However, when most X58 motherboards allow you to fool the CPU into thinking those conditions are met 100% of the time, then you do, in fact, have an i7 920 running at a 21x multiplier across all four cores at a speed of 133*21 = 2.8 GHz for each core at all times.
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6850K ASUS X99-A II EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2666 32GB (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD WD Black 4TB HDD ASUS CD/DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H115 Windows 10 Home x64 LG 34UC97 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Ryos MK FX Corsair AX1200i Corsair 780T Roccat Nyth 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6850K ASUS X99-A II EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2666 32GB (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD WD Black 4TB HDD ASUS CD/DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H115 Windows 10 Home x64 LG 34UC97 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Ryos MK FX Corsair AX1200i Corsair 780T Roccat Nyth 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkim1359 View Post
Good catch. Even Intel's product specifications for i7 900's clearly states that Turbo can enable multiplier boosts of 1/1/1/2.
So what?

Turbo boost is lame and will never be as fast as ACTUALLY clocking your cpu that fast.

I still maintain that the 920 has a 20x multiplier and the 930 has a 21x.
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
Hrmmmmm, what's 21x133? Oh. It's 2800.

And what's 20x133? 2660?? Is THAT why they list the 920 at 2.66 ghz and the 930 at 2.8? Naw, it can't be.

There is something to do with windows performance mode and upping your chip to 21x even when TB is set to off, however, it is NOT actually running that fast. I'm honestly tired of this though.

Run whatever you want and believe whatever you want.

When your benches fall short of everyone else and you wonder why, refer to this thread.

AIBs don't implement turbo on their motherboards the same way intel implements it on their smackovers. On an intel board, what you are saying is correct, however, on EVGA, ASUS, ectra, you can use turbo to get a permenent x21 multi because the AIBs implemented it differently to do so.

You need to turn turbo on and speedstep off.

See:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=256913&mpage=1

and

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=223065

and the guy above me who has it exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkim1359 View Post
Turbo Boost is only supposed to be active when certain conditions are met. However, when most X58 motherboards allow you to fool the CPU into thinking those conditions are met 100% of the time, then you do, in fact, have an i7 920 running at a 21x multiplier across all four cores at a speed of 133*21 = 2.8 GHz for each core at all times.
Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
So what?

Turbo boost is lame and will never be as fast as ACTUALLY clocking your cpu that fast.

I still maintain that the 920 has a 20x multiplier and the 930 has a 21x.
Then you're wrong. Aside from binning chips, the way intel differentiates between different CPUs is by locking the multipliers at different levels. Turbo mode literally lets you get one more multiplier. Thats how it works. So turbo mode's x21 performance is the same as using a non turbo x21 multi because it's actually the same thing.

Furthermore, on a 920 you'd be a moron not to love turbo because it gives you a x21 odd multi to use instead of 19. For me it was the difference between 4ghz and 4.4.
Edited by Varjo - 6/9/10 at 11:00am
Balder
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) EVGA 980ti SC+ ACX 2.0 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Pro NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) Corsair k90 Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair 600t white Naos 8200 Sennheiser HD 650 Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
Balder
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) EVGA 980ti SC+ ACX 2.0 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Pro NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) Corsair k90 Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair 600t white Naos 8200 Sennheiser HD 650 Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
So what?
We disproved your argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
Turbo boost is lame and will never be as fast as ACTUALLY clocking your cpu that fast.
Now you're relying on personal opinions in an attempt to prove your point? Now that we've establish that Turbo Boost does affect all cores, please explain to me how an i7 930 running at 133*21=2800 MHz is any faster than an i7 920 running at 133*21=2800 MHz. Same CPU architecture, same clock frequency...

If you don't like Turbo and don't want to use it, that's fine. I just take exception to people spreading misinformation. We should be stating the truth and cold hard facts so that people can make the best informed decisions for themselves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
I still maintain that the 920 has a 20x multiplier and the 930 has a 21x.
Again, the multiplier is simply the ratio between your BCLK and your CPU core frequencies. The core frequencies and the BCLKs make it pretty clear what the multipliers are.
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6850K ASUS X99-A II EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2666 32GB (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD WD Black 4TB HDD ASUS CD/DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H115 Windows 10 Home x64 LG 34UC97 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Ryos MK FX Corsair AX1200i Corsair 780T Roccat Nyth 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6850K ASUS X99-A II EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2666 32GB (4x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD WD Black 4TB HDD ASUS CD/DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H115 Windows 10 Home x64 LG 34UC97 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Ryos MK FX Corsair AX1200i Corsair 780T Roccat Nyth 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
AIBs don't implement turbo on their motherboards the same way intel implements it on their smackovers. On an intel board, what you are saying is correct, however, on EVGA, ASUS, ectra, you can use turbo to get a permenent x21 multi because the AIBs implemented it differently to do so.

You need to turn turbo off and speedstep on.

See:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=256913&mpage=1

and

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=223065

and the guy above me who has it exactly right



Edit:



Then you're wrong. Aside from binning chips, the way intel differentiates between different CPUs is by locking the multipliers at different levels. Turbo mode literally lets you get one more multiplier. Thats how it works. So turbo mode's x21 performance is the same as using a non turbo x21 multi because it's actually the same thing.

Furthermore, on a 920 you'd be a moron not to love turbo because it gives you a x21 odd multi to use instead of 19. For me it was the difference between 4ghz and 4.4.
Interesting. However, it looks like you misquoted, to get a permanent 21x you would need turbo on, but speedstep off correct? I was always under the impression that no more than a core or 2 got actually boosted, and it wasn't permanent. I'll look into this.
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
Interesting. However, it looks like you misquoted, to get a permanent 21x you would need turbo on, but speedstep off correct? I was always under the impression that no more than a core or 2 got actually boosted, and it wasn't permanent. I'll look into this.
Ah yes I did fixed.
Balder
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) EVGA 980ti SC+ ACX 2.0 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Pro NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) Corsair k90 Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair 600t white Naos 8200 Sennheiser HD 650 Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
Balder
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz Gigabyte Sniper 3 (z77) EVGA 980ti SC+ ACX 2.0 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 (512MB) 4 x WD black 1TB LG Blueray Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Pro NEC Multisync 3090wqxi (2560x1600) Corsair k90 Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair 600t white Naos 8200 Sennheiser HD 650 Zero DAC / Onkyo 875 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 57
An i7 920 has a multiplier of 21x when turbo is on, an i7 930 has a multiplier of 22x when turbo is on. The 920's stock multiplier is 20x giving you a stock clock of 2.67ghz, the 930's stock multiplier is 21x giving you a clock of 2.8ghz. To know which is more overclockable you would have to do by batches. I think there are a few threads in the Intel CPUs section. Generally a batch with a B in it will overclock with less voltage. A general good overclock for gaming is 3.6ghz-3.8ghz. I overclocked mine to 4ghz because it seems to be a comon clock and becase I play Flight Sim X which is very CPU intensive. On Intel's stock cooler you can get up to about 3.8ghz, but at that point I would get a Corsair H50 with push/pull gentletyphoon fans.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 57
lol i just found the 21x multiplier yesterday, turned my 4.00 overclock into a 4.21...im loving it!!!
AMD'd out
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
B50 3.7 Gigabyte 770T-UD3P Rev 1.0 Gigabyte 4670 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz G skill 
PowerCase
Raidmax 630W Hybrid Modular CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD'd out
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
B50 3.7 Gigabyte 770T-UD3P Rev 1.0 Gigabyte 4670 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz G skill 
PowerCase
Raidmax 630W Hybrid Modular CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
Interesting. However, it looks like you misquoted, to get a permanent 21x you would need turbo on, but speedstep off correct? I was always under the impression that no more than a core or 2 got actually boosted, and it wasn't permanent. I'll look into this.
You can get a permanent 21 multiplier on core i7 920 by either:

1) setting the multiplier to 21 in the bios (forces "turbo" to be on in some motherboards).

or

2) setting the multiplier to auto

It's baffling to me that anyone still thinks of the 920 as anything but a 21 multiplier max. When all 4 cores are doing it, that's the exact same thing as having the whole CPU bump up one more multiplier. The only true "turbo boost" feature is when the CPU shuts down 1 or more cores in order to boost others.

Speedstep (EIST) has nothing to do with the multiplier setting per se, but may require an auto multiplier on some motherboards to work correctly (My Asus p6x58d-e allows speed step at fixed or auto multipliers).
Epoch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5620 216x19@1.225v Asus Rampage III Formula EVGA GTX 570 6GB Mushkin Redline DDR 2000 (998750) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG 236H Corsair 750HX 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02B 
  hide details  
Reply
Epoch
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5620 216x19@1.225v Asus Rampage III Formula EVGA GTX 570 6GB Mushkin Redline DDR 2000 (998750) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG 236H Corsair 750HX 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
You guys keep talking about TURBO BOOST and NOT actual multipliers.

Jesus it's like I'm talking to a wall.

For the last time.

The 930 has a 21x multiplier and then you can turn on TURBO BOOST for a 22x multi.... on one thread. (Prove me wrong if it really is all 4 cores) It's pointless, and no one that is overclocking should do it.

If you buy a 920 you will want to use the 19x multi.... unless you're ok with THINKING you are at 4ghz but really being at 3.8 on 3 cores.

Go into your BIOS. Turn off turbo boost. Now, what's your multiplier?
When I turn turbo boost off in my bios my multiplier is 21x. I have no idea if it is really 21x on all 4 cores but the BIOS setting lets me set 21x.
Gnoma's System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6X58D Premium Dual eVGA GTS 250 Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2-WD RE3 500GB 7200RPM LG Black 8X BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp 22" Wide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 Antec CP-850 850W Antec P193 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gnoma's System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus P6X58D Premium Dual eVGA GTS 250 Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2-WD RE3 500GB 7200RPM LG Black 8X BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Dell Ultrasharp 22" Wide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K350 Antec CP-850 850W Antec P193 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
  • is an I7 930 an overclocked I7 920? Thats what people say on other forums I've read.
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › is an I7 930 an overclocked I7 920? Thats what people say on other forums I've read.