Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TNW] Foxconn considering shutting down some or all Mainland China factories
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TNW] Foxconn considering shutting down some or all Mainland China factories - Page 5

post #41 of 52
They're not gonna movie whole factories just because of a few people.

If they moved factories to the US, we could expect 2 things:

1. Insanely high prices.
2. Worse quality (US made home appliances are a joke compared European/Asian ones).

If they moved to Taiwan we will see a price increase but this is highly unlikely. I really hope this hurts apple though, I mean even now the new iphone costs close to $1400. Its not THAT GREAT.
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 52
Maybe they can build a factory here and charge the robots that work in it rent.
film_go.pngYouTube- China's empty city - 10 Nov 09
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky1 View Post
They're not gonna movie whole factories just because of a few people.

If they moved factories to the US, we could expect 2 things:

1. Insanely high prices.
2. Worse quality (US made home appliances are a joke compared European/Asian ones).

If they moved to Taiwan we will see a price increase but this is highly unlikely. I really hope this hurts apple though, I mean even now the new iphone costs close to $1400. Its not THAT GREAT.
This is wrong, Electronics can be made in the US at competitive prices. The difference is that in order to do so, one must invest in large amounts of capital equipment and automation technology. However that sort of technology also lends itself to higher quality goods due to the repeatability and capability for in process inspections.

Also, US made appliances are great, I don't know what kind of junk you're buying.

Why would you want to see Apple hurt? You don't like them I assume?

Also, I don't believe the new iPhone costs anywhere near $1400, more like $600 unlocked. If you're referring to the service contract, well, all smartphones have similar service plans and such high prices are not limited to Apple alone.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdek View Post
This is wrong, Electronics can be made in the US at competitive prices. The difference is that in order to do so, one must invest in large amounts of capital equipment and automation technology. However that sort of technology also lends itself to higher quality goods due to the repeatability and capability for in process inspections.

Also, US made appliances are great, I don't know what kind of junk you're buying.

Why would you want to see Apple hurt? You don't like them I assume?

Also, I don't believe the new iPhone costs anywhere near $1400, more like $600 unlocked. If you're referring to the service contract, well, all smartphones have similar service plans and such high prices are not limited to Apple alone.
No way. The only reason manufacturing moved to China is ridiculously cheap labor. Let's say a Chinese worker gets paid $2000 USD per year. In the US, that wage would be at least $20,000 USD.

40 hour work weeks plus overtime in the US. In China, I do not think there is a work hour limit, and they probably do not get any overtime wages.

If it is cheaper, companies will continue to exploit cheap labor in China.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou View Post
No way. The only reason manufacturing moved to China is ridiculously cheap labor. Let's say a Chinese worker gets paid $2000 USD per year. In the US, that wage would be at least $20,000 USD.

40 hour work weeks plus overtime in the US. In China, I do not think there is a work hour limit, and they probably do not get any overtime wages.

If it is cheaper, companies will continue to exploit cheap labor in China.
Like I said, one has to invest significantly into capital equipment in order to achieve similar prices. The difference is that you can make all of the iPhones/etc with ~200 workers and a ton of robotics vs the 40,000-20,000 workers in China currently. It just has a significantly higher up front cost which is why most companies are hesitant to pursue it, however long term costs can be similar if not lower. Machines tend to work 24/7 and don't commit suicide(Although some might argue this!).
post #46 of 52
if anyone searched on wikipedia, a chinese source says that they'll be expanding their vietnamese and indian facilities to make up for the loss of factories.
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 52
Mainborad will be cheaper if they go to choose India or Vietnam.
Saphira
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6820HK HM170 (MSI GT72) GTX 970M DDR4 2133 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SM951-NVMe HGST 7200RPM Windows 8.1 LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 
PowerMouse
Delta 230W ASUS ROG Gladius 
  hide details  
Reply
Saphira
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6820HK HM170 (MSI GT72) GTX 970M DDR4 2133 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SM951-NVMe HGST 7200RPM Windows 8.1 LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 
PowerMouse
Delta 230W ASUS ROG Gladius 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 52
Give them unions. 800,000 workers can stand up against several thousand running Foxconn.
Swamplog 2.0
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.5GHz MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G. Skill 2x8Gb DDR4 3200 @ 2933 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SSD Sandisk 480Gb SSD WD Black 1TB HDD Corsair H60 
OSPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Thermaltake SmartSeries 750watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Swamplog 2.0
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.5GHz MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G. Skill 2x8Gb DDR4 3200 @ 2933 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SSD Sandisk 480Gb SSD WD Black 1TB HDD Corsair H60 
OSPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Thermaltake SmartSeries 750watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 52
Honestly a union in china among Toyota (mentioned in article) or Foxconn workers would be incredible for the economy. It would stop companies from out sourcing and inspire other 3rd world labour forces to do the same. Sure some things would go up in price, but it would make North American and European made goods more valuable.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K EVGA X99 Micro2 EVGA GTX 980 32GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 850 Pro Windows 10 x64 Pro Qnix 1440p EVGA 850W Gold 
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K EVGA X99 Micro2 EVGA GTX 980 32GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 850 Pro Windows 10 x64 Pro Qnix 1440p EVGA 850W Gold 
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 52
Aw man now my cousin is going to lose his job.
No-oC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Asus 5850 OCZ gold 2x2 GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250 GB + 160 GB Windows 7 x64 20" KDS Antec NEO ECO 620 WATT 
Case
Rosewill Challenger 
  hide details  
Reply
No-oC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Asus 5850 OCZ gold 2x2 GB 1600 MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250 GB + 160 GB Windows 7 x64 20" KDS Antec NEO ECO 620 WATT 
Case
Rosewill Challenger 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TNW] Foxconn considering shutting down some or all Mainland China factories