ABC reports that their Good Housekeeping tested 3D glasses at seven theaters in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. They found not one pair to be sterile. They report: "3D glasses given out at cinemas were found to be contaminated with bacteria that can cause conjunctivitis, skin infections, food poisoning, or even sepsis or pneumonia, but docs say that the germs found are no more threatening than what you find on the arm rest, box of popcorn, or movie seats."
Yes, one can't just run screaming from bacteria, because it's everywhere. If we could all see the cells that rest on the things we touch, the microscopic bugs that work their way through our eyelashes, the world might stop spinning. But let's just humor the findings for one minute. The fact that they're no more threatening doesn't mean they are not threatening. They're just giving it the same level of germy fun.