Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › AS SSD Benchmark thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AS SSD Benchmark thread - Page 224

post #2231 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by porvalsh View Post

Just for the benchmark or 100% of the time?

For the benchmark.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2232 of 3820
gprxxlt4.aw4.jpg

Sorry about the german... but this is my M4 I got yesterday. I'm pretty pleased coming from an HDD:)
Delta Zero
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte X370 Gaming K3 Asus Strix 580 @ 1500/9000 (2x8) 16GB @ 2933mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + Intel 535 480GB +3TB WD Blue  Noctua NH-U12S SE Windows 10 Pro 64bit AOC G2460PF 144Hz Freesync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate  Corsair CS650M Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
Delta Zero
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 @ 3.9ghz Gigabyte X370 Gaming K3 Asus Strix 580 @ 1500/9000 (2x8) 16GB @ 2933mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128GB + Intel 535 480GB +3TB WD Blue  Noctua NH-U12S SE Windows 10 Pro 64bit AOC G2460PF 144Hz Freesync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate  Corsair CS650M Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2233 of 3820
hmm looks like I have some work to do. crucial M4 256

I think my mobo is holding me back

501

I just finished my install the other night and ran this today. I knew it didn't feel amazing..

guess I need to do some research and figure out what my options are with this SSD and my mobo.
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2234 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedart View Post

hmm looks like I have some work to do. crucial M4 256
I think my mobo is holding me back
501
I just finished my install the other night and ran this today. I knew it didn't feel amazing..
guess I need to do some research and figure out what my options are with this SSD and my mobo.

Why are you running in IDE mode? I think multiple queue depths is one of the things that AHCI handles much better than IDE. No idea why you didn't notice a difference, though. The thing that makes an SSD feel much faster than normal HDDs are the random 4k read/write and extremely low access times. With a mechanical HDD, you'd be looking at ~0.5 MB/s random 4k read, ~1 MB/s random 4K write and access times greater than 10ms which is orders of magnitude slower than SSDs.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2235 of 3820
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Why are you running in IDE mode? I think multiple queue depths is one of the things that AHCI handles much better than IDE. No idea why you didn't notice a difference, though. The thing that makes an SSD feel much faster than normal HDDs are the random 4k read/write and extremely low access times. With a mechanical HDD, you'd be looking at ~0.5 MB/s random 4k read, ~1 MB/s random 4K write and access times greater than 10ms which is orders of magnitude slower than SSDs.

I'll be honest, I am not even sure what IDE mode is. This isn't my area of expertise. I actually posted this threat in hopes that something like that may jump out to some one else and I could in turn learn from the feedback wink.gif
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2236 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedart View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'll be honest, I am not even sure what IDE mode is. This isn't my area of expertise. I actually posted this threat in hopes that something like that may jump out to some one else and I could in turn learn from the feedback wink.gif

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

That should pretty much answer almost all your questions.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2237 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedart View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Why are you running in IDE mode? I think multiple queue depths is one of the things that AHCI handles much better than IDE. No idea why you didn't notice a difference, though. The thing that makes an SSD feel much faster than normal HDDs are the random 4k read/write and extremely low access times. With a mechanical HDD, you'd be looking at ~0.5 MB/s random 4k read, ~1 MB/s random 4K write and access times greater than 10ms which is orders of magnitude slower than SSDs.

I'll be honest, I am not even sure what IDE mode is. This isn't my area of expertise. I actually posted this threat in hopes that something like that may jump out to some one else and I could in turn learn from the feedback wink.gif

Here. In the BIOS for your motherboard there are different SATA modes. Look for where it says change SATA mode or something and it should say IDE mode or similar. You need to change it to AHCI mode. I think it is under the advanced menu tab? First however you need to do a quick registry change in Windows.

Guide on this here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-7-installation

BTW, nice rig I used to have the same motherboard. biggrin.gif
post #2238 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Here. In the BIOS for your motherboard there are different SATA modes. Look for where it says change SATA mode or something and it should say IDE mode or similar. You need to change it to AHCI mode. I think it is under the advanced menu tab? First however you need to do a quick registry change in Windows.
Guide on this here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-7-installation
Thanks. followed this guide and changed it to ahci with no issues. My scores almost doubled. I guess its safe to say the rest of the performance I am leaving on the table is due to my motherboard and running it on sata II?
501




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

BTW, nice rig I used to have the same motherboard. biggrin.gif

Thanks, I'm tryn to hold out for haswell. It has been great right up to wanting to install an SSD and finding out the marvell controllers are less than ideal.
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Haswell.
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA 980ti FTW G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 pro Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Raystorm Block RX360 Extreme, RS 240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Pump D5 Vario  Windows 10 Pro Q-nix 1440p Logitech G-710 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750w Thermaltake Core x9 Snow Edition Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2239 of 3820
I don't know why some people buying the slow samsung 830 128 ... pony up and buy the faster 256gb ones

517
post #2240 of 3820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet3h View Post

I don't know why some people buying the slow samsung 830 128 ... pony up and buy the faster 256gb ones
517

Budget concerns, of course! 128GB is the most practical size to buy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › AS SSD Benchmark thread