Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Common theory, But the only way your going to get shocked is if you an idiot, And Idiot that likes to touch EVERY cap and solder point in the PSU.
Just pop it open, Take out the fan, Put a new one in. Simple.
Just don't go around gropping every single cap, and your going to be fine.
Take it from an idiot Thats me
power is no joke I have been shocked so many times its beyond not funny, Its actually funny. As a child i was dared to grab onto a n alectric cow fence at a leather ranch. They use cows for lether you know
Well the fence zapped me so hard that the electric current made my hand clasp it. So i stand there getting shocked for a good 10 seconds before my brother pulls me off the wire. After that point i have always been fascinated with getting shocked. A few days after that I was showin my brother how electricity would flow from me to him. I did not grab it this time. I just touched it with my arm. I have been Zapped by 120volt current. And even high current automotive. I have been zapped by a step down transformer at worka few years ago. Something like 240 volts. That hurt the most. Out of all of them the cars distributer cap made my heart jum. I think the high voltage is the worst as far as stopping your heart and all that. The high current high amps would be like the step down transformer. That hurt my arm for a good couple of hours.
I have not had the pleasure of being zapped by a computers PSU but I honestly dont think it would be that bad. The caps are very small the transformers adn transistors are all step down. Stay out of yoru TVs and CRT monitors though. They have voltges that are higher than I would recomend.
No matter what be carefull. I was a moron as a kid. And the others were accidents. Stay away from the battery looking things and any thing that is connected to a heatsink. Basically pull the fan out and dust it off spin the blades a few times and then try and start it up. If this does not work you can try spinning the fan with your finger to start it up. If that does not work buy a new one. I know alot about power. I work around it all the time. Some of the stuff i work around will kill you. Three phase power is the highest i have worked with and it opperates at more than 600amps 220volts. No jokes here guys.
Was that too much text for a simple answer like BE carefull? I dunno maybe too many beers