Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooling advice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cooling advice?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hi all,
After joining this forum yesterday, I found out what I suspected all along: my system is too damn hot.

Idle CPU temps are around 44 degrees.
After 10 mins of STRESS TEST in Prime95 the CPU was at 60 degrees, and stayed at that temperature until I ended the test 3 hours later.

I need to cool my system down - preferrably with AIR cooling. Not willing to invest in water cooling just yet.

I have a Zalman 7700 AlCu heatsink, and 2 120 MM fans. Look at the below pictures for details .

The fan by the hard drives is an intake fan, sucks the air from the harddrives and feeds it to the back case fan, which pushes it out.

Will adding more fans help? What kind of fans? Where should they be placed? (I tried to take pictures of all angles so you can advise me better as to the location.)




My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 25
Thread Starter 
Five more pictures.




My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 25
Pure copper or All Copper is much better than aluminum.

I have the CNPS 7700-cu and it keeps my 660 @ 33c stock speed and @ 4.32ghz does 38c-to-40c idle and for the max loaded: 53c. I also use AS5.

Now, why do you have your HDD connected to the SiliconImage controller?

Whether or not, if you're running RAID or not, the best choice is to run them through the south-bridge, it has been proven that the south-bridge offers better results than a 3rd party controller.

My rig:



Both controllers are disabled and running RAID-0 and storage through the south-bridge.
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
Pure copper or All Copper is much better than aluminum.

I have the CNPS 7700-cu and it keeps my 660 @ 33c stock speed and @ 4.32ghz does 38c-to-40c idle and for the max loaded: 53c. I also use AS5.

Now, why do you have your HDD connected to the SiliconImage controller?

Whether or not, if you're running RAID or not, the best choice is to run them through the south-bridge, it has been proven that the south-bridge offers better results than a 3rd party controller.

<snip>

Both controllers are disabled and running RAID-0 and storage through the south-bridge.
Would a pure copper really make that much of a difference with my setup? To go down to your temperatures it would have to make a 10-20 degree drop.

Yes, both my hard drives are in Raid 0. I'll see if I can change it to south-bridge, thanks for the info.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 25
I think the main problem is the front fan is located inside your case and it's very hard if not impossible for it to pull in fresh cooler air.

What are the temps like if you leave the case door off? I would guess much better.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6700 3.6 1.35v Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi 8800gtx 2Gb Crucial Ballstix 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x WD raptors XP Pro -SP2 Samsung 204b Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GX 600w Lian-Li 1000vb Logitech Mx-518 +MX revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6700 3.6 1.35v Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi 8800gtx 2Gb Crucial Ballstix 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x WD raptors XP Pro -SP2 Samsung 204b Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GX 600w Lian-Li 1000vb Logitech Mx-518 +MX revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 25
what thermal paste are/did you use? and by the looks of you case there very little by way of vents,my advise would be remove all unused pci slot covers and rig up a fan there maybe just a temp' one using zip ties and see if you temps improve,then if not no harm no fowl

hope this helps you

edit: may also be worth reseating your cpu heatsink and fan and reapplying the thermal paste or upgrade to as5 if you don't already use that..
Silence Is Golden
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3570k MSI Z77A-G45 Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition  16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x ADATA s510  2x Western Digital WD20EARX  WDC WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1  WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SH-B123L Corsair H60 2x 140mm Aerocool Dead Silence intake fans 1x 180mm Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim Top Exh... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Reeven Six Eyes II (RFC-02) Fan Controller  Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD ThermalTake Challenger Ultimate  
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RMi 850 Fractal Design Define XL Logitech Mx1000 Roccat Kave 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Silence Is Golden
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3570k MSI Z77A-G45 Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition  16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x ADATA s510  2x Western Digital WD20EARX  WDC WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1  WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SH-B123L Corsair H60 2x 140mm Aerocool Dead Silence intake fans 1x 180mm Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim Top Exh... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Reeven Six Eyes II (RFC-02) Fan Controller  Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD ThermalTake Challenger Ultimate  
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RMi 850 Fractal Design Define XL Logitech Mx1000 Roccat Kave 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
I think the main problem is the front fan is located inside your case and it's very hard if not impossible for it to pull in fresh cooler air.

What are the temps like if you leave the case door off? I would guess much better.
I assume you are talking about the black fan by the hard drives? Unfortunately that is the only place a fan is designed to be, anything else would have to be modded.

I will leave my side door off when I leave for school tomorrow, and will leave temperature logging on to see how the temperatures change (if at all) during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztec
what thermal paste are/did you use? and by the looks of you case there very little by way of vents,my advise would be remove all unused pci slot covers and rig up a fan there maybe just a temp' one using zip ties and see if you temps improve,then if not no harm no fowl

hope this helps you

edit: may also be worth reseating your cpu heatsink and fan and reapplying the thermal paste or upgrade to as5 if you don't already use that..
I used the thermal paste that came originally with the heatsink. Will there be a noticeble difference if I use ArcticSilver 5? I keep hearing good things about it...

Removing extra PCI slot covers and adding a fan there may also help, thanks for the idea.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerunt
I assume you are talking about the black fan by the hard drives? Unfortunately that is the only place a fan is designed to be, anything else would have to be modded.

I will leave my side door off when I leave for school tomorrow, and will leave temperature logging on to see how the temperatures change (if at all) during the day.



I used the thermal paste that came originally with the heatsink. Will there be a noticeble difference if I use ArcticSilver 5? I keep hearing good things about it...

Removing extra PCI slot covers and adding a fan there may also help, thanks for the idea.
well as5 will drop your temps by about 2-7c or so i've heard can't really say for sure personally as mine is still burning in,but review's are all over the net and on here, all say good things so well worth the cash as it's not that expensive,only other thing would be a pci exhuast fan,but if you've got spare can fans and don't want to spend the cash just use one of those it'll do nearly the same job,but beside cutting into your case not much else to try..just one more thing to note might be worth trying to organize your cables abit,but i doubt thats the cause of your problems as there pretty much out of the way

edit:if cutting into your case is an option you could try mounting 2-3 60mm fans here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/ztec/editit.jpg
but i'm unsure if it would help as the airflow in is nearly no existant
also you should read sanity's guide here: http://www.overclock.net/other-cooli...uide-fans.html
that should help abit and give you some ideas
Silence Is Golden
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3570k MSI Z77A-G45 Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition  16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x ADATA s510  2x Western Digital WD20EARX  WDC WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1  WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SH-B123L Corsair H60 2x 140mm Aerocool Dead Silence intake fans 1x 180mm Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim Top Exh... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Reeven Six Eyes II (RFC-02) Fan Controller  Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD ThermalTake Challenger Ultimate  
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RMi 850 Fractal Design Define XL Logitech Mx1000 Roccat Kave 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Silence Is Golden
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i3570k MSI Z77A-G45 Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition  16GB Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x ADATA s510  2x Western Digital WD20EARX  WDC WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1  WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SH-B123L Corsair H60 2x 140mm Aerocool Dead Silence intake fans 1x 180mm Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim Top Exh... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Reeven Six Eyes II (RFC-02) Fan Controller  Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ G2420HD ThermalTake Challenger Ultimate  
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair RMi 850 Fractal Design Define XL Logitech Mx1000 Roccat Kave 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 25
well i say before you go buy new components... we MOD/maximize the performance of what you have.... ill help you through this all you need because i once was stuck because of outrageous temps and had done many of mods and dropped temps dramitically with all stock cooling....

1)as Loki said, you need to move the front intake fan to the other side of the HDD's and would be good if you could put another one there too so you have 2 there, and make some vent holes there if their arent any already. the bigger the hole the less restiction and the better.
2) AS5!!! go out to your local PC shop and pick up some arctic silver 5...
3)while out getting AS5, go to local hardware store,and then automotive parts store, and get sand paper, get the following grits... 400grit,600 grit,800-1000grit,1500-2000 grit. this will be used for lapping the heatsink(and IHS if your willing)
4)if you have a dremel and a drill, i suggest cuting a hole on the side panel for a 92mm-120mm fan to be placed blowing cool air directly over the CPU, and you will need an extra fan for this.
5)if willing to do more cutting,cut a hole on the side panel that is directly behind the mobo, and behind the cpu,cut a hole in the MOBO tray, thena a hole in the side panel and mount a 60-80mm exhaust fan.
6)more cutting, but on the top of the case... mount a 80-120mm fan for exhaust...



AS5 will drop your load temps by about 2-6c just by itself, lapping the cpu and heatsink will lower them another 4-8c, then optimizing airflow and making lots of it will drop temps about another 2-6c... so at best all this stuff will lower your load temps by about 20c!!! possibly more,those are just my educated geusses. and cost no more than $20-$25. you have a good cpu cooler, it just needs to be made better...

if you need help on lapping the cpu and heatsing, PM me...
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztec
well as5 will drop your temps by about 2-7c or so i've heard can't really say for sure personally as mine is still burning in,but review's are all over the net and on here, all say good things so well worth the cash as it's not that expensive,only other thing would be a pci exhuast fan,but if you've got spare can fans and don't want to spend the cash just use one of those it'll do nearly the same job,but beside cutting into your case not much else to try..just one more thing to note might be worth trying to organize your cables abit,but i doubt thats the cause of your problems as there pretty much out of the way

edit:if cutting into your case is an option you could try mounting 2-3 60mm fans here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/ztec/editit.jpg
but i'm unsure if it would help as the airflow in is nearly no existant
also you should read sanity's guide here: http://www.overclock.net/other-cooli...uide-fans.html
that should help abit and give you some ideas
Unfortunately I have no *spare* case fans, but I can always pick some up at a local store. This is pretty much my selection.

This is the fan I have on the back of the case right now. I can get a few more.

Going to give that guide a read right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbasil1
well i say before you go buy new components... we MOD/maximize the performance of what you have.... ill help you through this all you need because i once was stuck because of outrageous temps and had done many of mods and dropped temps dramitically with all stock cooling....

1)as Loki said, you need to move the front intake fan to the other side of the HDD's and would be good if you could put another one there too so you have 2 there, and make some vent holes there if their arent any already. the bigger the hole the less restiction and the better.
2) AS5!!! go out to your local PC shop and pick up some arctic silver 5...
3)while out getting AS5, go to local hardware store,and then automotive parts store, and get sand paper, get the following grits... 400grit,600 grit,800-1000grit,1500-2000 grit. this will be used for lapping the heatsink(and IHS if your willing)
4)if you have a dremel and a drill, i suggest cuting a hole on the side panel for a 92mm-120mm fan to be placed blowing cool air directly over the CPU, and you will need an extra fan for this.
5)if willing to do more cutting,cut a hole on the side panel that is directly behind the mobo, and behind the cpu,cut a hole in the MOBO tray, thena a hole in the side panel and mount a 60-80mm exhaust fan.
6)more cutting, but on the top of the case... mount a 80-120mm fan for exhaust...



AS5 will drop your load temps by about 2-6c just by itself, lapping the cpu and heatsink will lower them another 4-8c, then optimizing airflow and making lots of it will drop temps about another 2-6c... so at best all this stuff will lower your load temps by about 20c!!! possibly more,those are just my educated geusses. and cost no more than $20-$25. you have a good cpu cooler, it just needs to be made better...

if you need help on lapping the cpu and heatsing, PM me...
Thanks alot for all the suggestions and info!
I am going to think about them and see what I'm willing to do .
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 ASUS P5N32-E SLI XFX 7600GT XXX, 2xEVGA 8600GT 4x1GB OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD 7200, 8MB, 500GB WD 7200 16MB LG DVD-RW, LG DVD-ROM Windows XP SP2 2x L194WTX-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Black Antec True Power 550W Antec Sonata - Modded Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooling advice?