Slowly Making Progress - 2/24/2012
Sorry for taking a long time for the update. My medical conditions are taking a large toll on me. The pain has been significantly been reduced, but still is a problem with the stimulator. However, chronic fatigue has been a major problem. With the stimulator, I was able to get off the pain meds, but the fatigue was still there. Originally we (doctors & I) thought the fatigue was a side affect from the large amounts of pain killers I was on. But getting off the pain killers, the fatigue got worse. The doctors do not know what it is, but guessing it is fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome. Because of the fatigue was so bad, I couldn't return to work. With no return date to go back to work and being on medical leave for so long, I finally had to go onto total disability. I have filed for social security disability and got another year through my long term disability insurance. The good thing is that if I get social security disability, the the long term disability will cover me until I am 65 years old. So I am extremely happy with my coverage. It has been very hard on me, especially giving up my job at AMD. I really loved my career and will miss it greatly.
Anyways, lets get to the update on the case. With the fatigue, it has greatly reduced my work on the case. But the good news, I have the computer running with all the water cooling. In the last update, one of my 5970 cards died, so I got another one off the internet. The bad thing was it was defective, and I had to deal with returning the card through eBay. The eBay seller dragged his feet every chance he got, and it took almost 2 months before I got my money back. Then I bought another second card again, and it has been working great.
I have been doing some overclocking of the CPU, GPUs and memory with some good success. The CPU never gets above 35C and the GPUs never get over 40C. So I have really been happy with the overclocking. Also games look amazing with the two 5970 cards.
The bad thing is that the brass has tarnished a lot during the multiple computer tare downs and re-builds. I finally took all the brass pieces off to clean them and re-polish them. Currently I am almost done cleaning all the brass. Then can move on to the re-polish, which is much faster. Also, I got the top done, but need to re-assemble it.
Here are some pics of the computer in its current state. You can see the computer with all its brass. I had to cut some of the peripheral tops to make them fit. Also, you can see the case with all the outside brass taken off. Looks bare, but it should look awesome again with all the shiny brass.