Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Starcraft 2 Strategy & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Starcraft 2 Strategy & Discussion Thread - Page 592

post #5911 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainesk View Post
is there a successful terran build without stim packs? I don't think i've seen 1 match in GSL where Terran didn't get stim, or is it just me?
That's like saying you never saw a protoss not research warpgates or a zerg not use inject larvae. It's the bread and butter of terran.
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5912 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiru View Post
That's like saying you never saw a protoss not research warpgates or a zerg not use inject larvae. It's the bread and butter of terran.
Pretty much, I mean I can go without getting the queen early and get lair tech, but, even then with only 3 larvae, I'll be overrun by my opponent quite fast especially if I'm droning hard, although, the argument could be that you could do 15 exp which is a standard now for most Zergs and get 2 queens from that as you drone and tech to lair, but, there are drawbacks to that as well, especially since Z is all about macro

Originally Posted by DoomDash
No thumbs downing maps in this GSL is the worst thing ever. I feel like this won't give us an accurate way of seeing how the game really is right now.


I think the idea that you can't thumb down maps is great for one reason. As a pro, you should be able to adapt your playing style(don't exp early until you've gotten enough units for example) to the map and your opponent. This is the one reason that I don't have any maps thumbed down including Steppes of War(short distance) or Jungle Basin(free exp). I'll much rather play those maps and learn how to deal with my opponent's early rush or faster attacks than just thumb them down and forget that such maps exist. Of course, this is also the case for P and T.
Edited by BigFan - 11/29/10 at 11:28am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 2.40GHZ Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MSI GTX570 @ stock Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SW2494 24" Antec Earthpower 650W 
Case
Apevia X-Plorer 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 2.40GHZ Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MSI GTX570 @ stock Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SW2494 24" Antec Earthpower 650W 
Case
Apevia X-Plorer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5913 of 25315
The no-vetoing of the maps happened because everyone was vetoing the same exact maps and you were seeing the same maps over & over again for each matchup.

A terrible decision, leading to some players with a near impossible chance of advancing, but then these are the exact maps being used in ladder. Some of which are just terrible; the reason why everyone votes off the same maps for each MU.

Blizzard sucks at making maps(always did) and hopefully in the future, we will have some more balanced maps, even if it takes some non-blizz maps like iccup maps
Edited by rhed5 - 11/29/10 at 12:11pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 3.8 GA-X58A-UD3R EVGA GTX 460 GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m4 6gb SSD Windows 7 64Bit Acer 24" Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP-750 Antec 900 Razer Abyssus Steelseries QCK mass 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 3.8 GA-X58A-UD3R EVGA GTX 460 GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m4 6gb SSD Windows 7 64Bit Acer 24" Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP-750 Antec 900 Razer Abyssus Steelseries QCK mass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5914 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed5 View Post
The no-vetoing of the maps happened because everyone was vetoing the same exact maps and you were seeing the same maps over & over again for each matchup.

A terrible decision, leading to some players with a near impossible chance of advancing, but then these are the exact maps being used in ladder. Some of which are just terrible; the reason why everyone votes off the same maps for each MU.

Blizzard sucks at making maps(always did) and hopefully in the future, we will have some more balanced maps, even if it takes some non-blizz maps like iccup maps
Blizzard should really just have a panel of pros design the maps.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055t 2.8GHz OC Incoming Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 XFX Radeon HD 5770 OC Incoming G.Skill 2x2GB ECO 1600DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD Generic Windows 7 Pro 64bit BenQ 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech G15 v2 Antec Truepower 650W Modular Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055t 2.8GHz OC Incoming Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 XFX Radeon HD 5770 OC Incoming G.Skill 2x2GB ECO 1600DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD Generic Windows 7 Pro 64bit BenQ 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech G15 v2 Antec Truepower 650W Modular Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5915 of 25315
So, which maps do you guys usually veto off in your 1v1 ladders? AND WHY.
Just post something like this:

Steppes of war
Reason: because i play protoss and I find that terrans can easily push me and box me in my base because of the quick rush distance.

I dont take off any of them because on each map I have a specific objective depending on the matchup and the terrain that I am trying to get better at. The ONLY map I ever took off was desert oasis and it was because when you were at the bottom spawn, a terran could just siege up at your north-east and shell your mineral line without harassment.
I saw that once and i just took it off. Less than a week later, the map was removed from the ladder list .
I play random and I am NOT interested in abusing or facing something that ONLY one race can take advantage of and that can loose someone the game so easily.
Minotaur
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 2500K MSI P67A-GD53 2 X EVGA GTX 460 SLI G.Skill RIPJAWS 2*4Gb 1.3Ghz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD: 2*500GB Raid0 + 2*2TB 2*DVD RW Optiarc+Samsung Windows 7 64-bit 24" ACER Widescreen HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Corsair HX620 Coolermaster HAF932 Advanced Ocz equalizer 
Mouse Pad
RatPadz GS 
  hide details  
Reply
Minotaur
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 2500K MSI P67A-GD53 2 X EVGA GTX 460 SLI G.Skill RIPJAWS 2*4Gb 1.3Ghz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD: 2*500GB Raid0 + 2*2TB 2*DVD RW Optiarc+Samsung Windows 7 64-bit 24" ACER Widescreen HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 Corsair HX620 Coolermaster HAF932 Advanced Ocz equalizer 
Mouse Pad
RatPadz GS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5916 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaziah View Post
So, which maps do you guys usually veto off in your 1v1 ladders? AND WHY.
Just post something like this:

Steppes of war
Reason: because i play protoss and I find that terrans can easily push me and box me in my base because of the quick rush distance.

I dont take off any of them because on each map I have a specific objective depending on the matchup and the terrain that I am trying to get better at. The ONLY map I ever took off was desert oasis and it was because when you were at the bottom spawn, a terran could just siege up at your north-east and shell your mineral line without harassment.
I saw that once and i just took it off. Less than a week later, the map was removed from the ladder list .
I play random and I am NOT interested in abusing or facing something that ONLY one race can take advantage of and that can loose someone the game so easily.
I generally don't thumb any maps, and if I do it's to practice certain strategies. Right now I'm playing on any big map, as I'd like to work on my macro and late game strategies.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055t 2.8GHz OC Incoming Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 XFX Radeon HD 5770 OC Incoming G.Skill 2x2GB ECO 1600DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD Generic Windows 7 Pro 64bit BenQ 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech G15 v2 Antec Truepower 650W Modular Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055t 2.8GHz OC Incoming Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 XFX Radeon HD 5770 OC Incoming G.Skill 2x2GB ECO 1600DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD Generic Windows 7 Pro 64bit BenQ 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech G15 v2 Antec Truepower 650W Modular Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5917 of 25315
As a general guideline, the closer the distances better for terran, while longer the distances better for zerg. Protoss wants to be as far away from terran while close to zerg.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 3.8 GA-X58A-UD3R EVGA GTX 460 GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m4 6gb SSD Windows 7 64Bit Acer 24" Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP-750 Antec 900 Razer Abyssus Steelseries QCK mass 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 @ 3.8 GA-X58A-UD3R EVGA GTX 460 GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m4 6gb SSD Windows 7 64Bit Acer 24" Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja tenkeyless 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP-750 Antec 900 Razer Abyssus Steelseries QCK mass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5918 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaziah View Post
So, which maps do you guys usually veto off in your 1v1 ladders? AND WHY.
Just post something like this:

Steppes of war
Reason: because i play protoss and I find that terrans can easily push me and box me in my base because of the quick rush distance.
I fast expand against terran on steppes of war and rarely ever have any problems.

I voted down blistering sands because I feel as a protoss I need to four gate every game on it and it gets quite boring. Hate the back entrance.

Also voted down Jungle Basin because I had bad initial impression of it and again, it has a backdoor. I feel kind of lost on this map, probably need more practice. Maybe I'll start playing on it once I figure out some stable builds.
buka
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
buka
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5919 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorbeam View Post
Ladder success is a completely, completely worthless statistic. I don't even know why Blizzard published it. Would you consider bronze stats important? No, because the players at these ratings don't understand the game yet. Same goes for silver, gold, and 90% of diamond.

I hear a lot of "protoss doesn't have good players" but I think this is total bunk. There are tons of good players and it's no statistical anomaly that only a handful make it far as protoss.

Edit: I think protoss could be buffed without changing any units. For one, we should be able to warp in units on the minimap. Terran and zerg can make units on the fly, while protoss has to move vision back to their base to make units. Very annoying.

You guys are correct when you say there aren't many openers as protoss. I think the issue is that protoss is too vulnerable early game, any kind of early aggression can result in total rape vs equal armies.
I disagree there. Yes bronze stats are worthless but diamond stats should mean something as people know how to play the game. Balancing should be made for diamond/plat ladder and GSL.

Like I said, I dont judge protoss based on GSL stats. I watch the protoss matchups and analyze the player's skill. I feel that protoss players' skill is a bit inferior to the terran/zerg players. I see room for improvement for players like Genius. Yes he is one of the best protoss but he could have played better games at GSL. That's my observation. Stats really dont tell the whole story.

I dont know, maybe Im just unbiased.
Random name
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k Asus P9X79 LE ATI HD5850 G.SKILL 4x4gb 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 840 Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D14 W 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 24" 1920x1200 Tt eSports Poseiden brown Seasonic X-850 Fractal F4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steelseries Musiland 02 DAC KRK RP5 & Dayton SUB-80 
  hide details  
Reply
Random name
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k Asus P9X79 LE ATI HD5850 G.SKILL 4x4gb 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 840 Seagate Barracuda Noctua NH-D14 W 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 24" 1920x1200 Tt eSports Poseiden brown Seasonic X-850 Fractal F4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Steelseries Musiland 02 DAC KRK RP5 & Dayton SUB-80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5920 of 25315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post
I dont know, maybe Im just unbiased.
I lol'd
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
Omicron Lyrae
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE @3.6 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Sapphire HD5770 V2 OCZ 2x2GB Gold DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Sony Lightscribe DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64-bit AOC F22+ 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry Scissor Switch Flat Keyboard OCZ StealthXstream 600W Cooler Master Elite 334 Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Starcraft 2 Strategy & Discussion Thread