Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Prescott multi is wrong
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prescott multi is wrong

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
My friend got a 3.2ghz prescott but it was showing on CPU-Z that it was running at 2.8ghz. When I went over to help him out I saw in CPU-Z and in the BIOS that the multi was at 14. Since the multies in pentiums are locked I didnt know how to fix it. I left him messing around in his bios and the next day he said he fixed it. I asked him how he changed the multi to 15 and he says he doesnt know.

Now I have another friend who also has a Prescott that is showing a 14 multi. I cant figure out what is wrong. Have any of you ran into this problem? If so how do I fix it? With the RAM he has I would have to put a 2:1 divider on to OC it to 4ghz with the 14 multi wich would underclock the RAM a lot. With a 15 multi I can get away with a 4:3 wich would leave his RAM at its optimum speed.
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyleck
My friend got a 3.2ghz prescott but it was showing on CPU-Z that it was running at 2.8ghz. When I went over to help him out I saw in CPU-Z and in the BIOS that the multi was at 14. Since the multies in pentiums are locked I didnt know how to fix it. I left him messing around in his bios and the next day he said he fixed it. I asked him how he changed the multi to 15 and he says he doesnt know.

Now I have another friend who also has a Prescott that is showing a 14 multi. I cant figure out what is wrong. Have any of you ran into this problem? If so how do I fix it? With the RAM he has I would have to put a 2:1 divider on to OC it to 4ghz with the 14 multi wich would underclock the RAM a lot. With a 15 multi I can get away with a 4:3 wich would leave his RAM at its optimum speed.
Ok, now, what socket are we talking about here? LGA775 or socket 478? For socket 478 (sounds more like that). Disable Intel's "speedsteap technology" if you see that option in the bios (works like AMD's cool and quiet). That's my guess why the processor's multi is dropping like that. I know some 3.2's and 3.4's multi's are semi unlocked for socket 478 (only between 14x-16x), usually so that speedstep technology can be put into effect.

Also, whenever possible, run your memory 1:1 with your processor, this will give you the best preformance vs. running a devider (ie 4:3).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyleck
My friend got a 3.2ghz prescott but it was showing on CPU-Z that it was running at 2.8ghz. When I went over to help him out I saw in CPU-Z and in the BIOS that the multi was at 14. Since the multies in pentiums are locked I didnt know how to fix it. I left him messing around in his bios and the next day he said he fixed it. I asked him how he changed the multi to 15 and he says he doesnt know.

Now I have another friend who also has a Prescott that is showing a 14 multi. I cant figure out what is wrong. Have any of you ran into this problem? If so how do I fix it? With the RAM he has I would have to put a 2:1 divider on to OC it to 4ghz with the 14 multi wich would underclock the RAM a lot. With a 15 multi I can get away with a 4:3 wich would leave his RAM at its optimum speed.
As wowza said... this is due to Intel's SpeedStepping which drops your multiplier to 14x when the CPU is not working on high load (>50 % or so).
You can disable it from Windows.
Go to "Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Power Options" and set the power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" then click on "Apply".
Check the CPU-Z readings again... the multiplier should be back to normal.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 630 3.0GHz Asus P5LD2-VM Windows XP Pro (SP2) Viewsonic VX-724 (LCD) 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower II 480W TT SViking (modded) Logitech G5 +TT Gamma Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 630 3.0GHz Asus P5LD2-VM Windows XP Pro (SP2) Viewsonic VX-724 (LCD) 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower II 480W TT SViking (modded) Logitech G5 +TT Gamma Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_one
As wowza said... this is due to Intel's SpeedStepping which drops your multiplier to 14x when the CPU is not working on high load (>50 % or so).
You can disable it from Windows.
Go to "Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Power Options" and set the power scheme to "Minimal Power Management" then click on "Apply".
Check the CPU-Z readings again... the multiplier should be back to normal.
Would disabling Speedstep Give me any advantage guys with my CPU with a Multi of 17x ?? Cheers.
post #5 of 6
Nope. It's better to leave it on.
It will help reduce both the temperature and power consumption when the CPU is not working hard.
Plus it will scale up to 17x so fast you won't even notice.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 630 3.0GHz Asus P5LD2-VM Windows XP Pro (SP2) Viewsonic VX-724 (LCD) 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower II 480W TT SViking (modded) Logitech G5 +TT Gamma Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
P4 630 3.0GHz Asus P5LD2-VM Windows XP Pro (SP2) Viewsonic VX-724 (LCD) 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TruePower II 480W TT SViking (modded) Logitech G5 +TT Gamma Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_one
Nope. It's better to leave it on.
It will help reduce both the temperature and power consumption when the CPU is not working hard.
Plus it will scale up to 17x so fast you won't even notice.
Thats what i thought.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Prescott multi is wrong