Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Case Mod Work Logs › Project: X-QPack 1.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Project: X-QPack 1.1 - Page 6

post #51 of 65
You're still using the aspire stock PSU? I threw that one out after all I had to say about it. I don't trust software voltages anymore because after measuring with my digital multimeter I found that the 12V line was ranging from 12.6 to 11.5, that's over a 1V change. My bios was happily telling me 12.4 the whole time... It may have a great amps rating but it doesn't stand up to it. I got the seasonic S12 430w instead and now my 12V rail is 11.99 idle and 11.95 load. Pretty awesome PSU if you ask me.
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Hey folks,

I am having a little trouble with my overclock. Currently I am sitting stable at 2.6ghz, however I need 1.5 volts to get there stable. I may be able to drop it a little, maybe 1.475, but I doubt any less than that. Temperatures aren't the problem, just to rule that out.

My overclock at stock volts is great for a dual core, I can get 2.4 on nearly stock or stock voltage, which makes me think it is this Aspire PSU. Because when I start getting up there it is requiring alot of volts to go anywhere. It doesn't seem like I should have to pump my volts up 4 or 5 times to get 200 mhz.

Attached is an old OCCT test but with all the same settings I am running now and it shows my 12V rail isn't really the problem, so can anyone suggest anything?

*EDIT* Also I read this and he got his to 3ghz on less volts than mine takes to get to 2.6. The only reason I bring this up is because our CPUs are the same revision which means they pretty similar. I know he's got a better overclocking motherboard, but that doesn't really account for all the mhz difference.
The qpack stock psu isn't great at all Crappy 12v rail = drooping
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardMonitorPower
Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ Biostar tforce 939 19" spectre x9 lcd 400 watt ttgi 
CaseMouse
Custom G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardMonitorPower
Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ Biostar tforce 939 19" spectre x9 lcd 400 watt ttgi 
CaseMouse
Custom G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie36
You're still using the aspire stock PSU? I threw that one out after all I had to say about it. I don't trust software voltages anymore because after measuring with my digital multimeter I found that the 12V line was ranging from 12.6 to 11.5, that's over a 1V change. My bios was happily telling me 12.4 the whole time... It may have a great amps rating but it doesn't stand up to it. I got the seasonic S12 430w instead and now my 12V rail is 11.99 idle and 11.95 load. Pretty awesome PSU if you ask me.
Wait so you got a PSU that fits into the QPack! Link me up!

I think the real problem is that my CPU voltage is varring ALOT, and by the way, speedfan is happily telling 12.4 right now too
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Wait so you got a PSU that fits into the QPack! Link me up!

I think the real problem is that my CPU voltage is varring ALOT, and by the way, speedfan is happily telling 12.4 right now too
LOL that's funny. This PSU is playing some kind of mind game with us...

Anyway here's the link and a pic of how it fits. As you can see it's pretty close.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151023


Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie36
LOL that's funny. This PSU is playing some kind of mind game with us...

Anyway here's the link and a pic of how it fits. As you can see it's pretty close.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151023
Wow that is pretty close, but then remember that I have the Liteon drives that are slightly shorter than yours. I think I may go ahead and order that if I can't figure this out.

Also, I made an overclocking thread specifically for this issue, because this is my case mod worklog, so if people have overclocking suggestions please post here while Fishie and I finish our convo
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Wow that is pretty close, but then remember that I have the Liteon drives that are slightly shorter than yours. I think I may go ahead and order that if I can't figure this out.

Also, I made an overclocking thread specifically for this issue, because this is my case mod worklog, so if people have overclocking suggestions please post here while Fishie and I finish our convo
Oh yeah, that's right. You should have plenty of room then. If you compare the back of my CD drive with the bracket it mounts on, it looks like yours is about an inch shorter than mine
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 65
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, but if any of you are out there, I could use some advice. I'm having problems properly cooling the CPU in my X-QPack case.

Specs:
Asus A8N-VM CSM/NBP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Stock PSU and case fan
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
On-board video only.

The Zalman isn't up to the task of keeping my CPU cool under full load. Temp holds somewhat steady at 56C when one core is under full load and the other is just picking up slack (according to SpeedFan's sensors). If I keep both cores at full load for 3-4 minutes, the chip climbs above 60C in less than three minutes.

The room I'm running the computer in stays fairly cool, but there's no way I'd be able to take this computer to a warmer location and expect it to run stable under any load. I figure if I throw a decent video card in here, the machine won't be stable enough even for some light gaming, especially in a typical LAN party environment.

I have not overclocked the CPU at all. So I'm wondering, will moving up to a Zalman 7700 make any real difference, or do I need to be looking for a better solution? Obviously, not much fits in this case in the way of cooling units, and I'm not even sure the position of the proc on this MB will allow for a 7700. I'm worried I'd have to really bend the fins to get the board to slide in and out of the case properly. I don't really want to have to try mounting the 7700 AFTER the board is inserted all the way into the case...
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalFox
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, but if any of you are out there, I could use some advice. I'm having problems properly cooling the CPU in my X-QPack case.

Specs:
Asus A8N-VM CSM/NBP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Stock PSU and case fan
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
On-board video only.

The Zalman isn't up to the task of keeping my CPU cool under full load. Temp holds somewhat steady at 56C when one core is under full load and the other is just picking up slack (according to SpeedFan's sensors). If I keep both cores at full load for 3-4 minutes, the chip climbs above 60C in less than three minutes.

The room I'm running the computer in stays fairly cool, but there's no way I'd be able to take this computer to a warmer location and expect it to run stable under any load. I figure if I throw a decent video card in here, the machine won't be stable enough even for some light gaming, especially in a typical LAN party environment.

I have not overclocked the CPU at all. So I'm wondering, will moving up to a Zalman 7700 make any real difference, or do I need to be looking for a better solution? Obviously, not much fits in this case in the way of cooling units, and I'm not even sure the position of the proc on this MB will allow for a 7700. I'm worried I'd have to really bend the fins to get the board to slide in and out of the case properly. I don't really want to have to try mounting the 7700 AFTER the board is inserted all the way into the case...
You should really start your own thread, but I'll give you a quick answer anyway. The 7000 should have no problem cooling your CPU so something is wrong. What thermal paste did you use? How much did you put on? I would pick up some arctic silver 5 if you don't already have it and make sure you follow a thermal paste application guide when you put it on. Too much or too little and you will get bad temps like that.
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Asus P8P67 EVO GTX 980 16GB DDR3 1866mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Revodrive 3 x2 240GB, M500 960GB, 2x WD 1TB Rai... Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Apple Cinema 30" 1600p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Orion Spark Capstone 750w CM Storm Scout Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 65
Um, it's been said several times that you can fit full atx psu's into qpacks. gg?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardMonitorPower
Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ Biostar tforce 939 19" spectre x9 lcd 400 watt ttgi 
CaseMouse
Custom G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardMonitorPower
Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ Biostar tforce 939 19" spectre x9 lcd 400 watt ttgi 
CaseMouse
Custom G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 65
Was alpha talking to me just now? I said stock PSU... as in the PSU that came with the case...

Moving right along...

I'm using Arctic Silver 5. Perhaps the coat was too thin, but I've never had that problem in the past. I've mounted the 7000 twice now, without any real change in temps between the first and second try. Sits idle at 38. Holds at 56 with one core at full load. Climbs fast with no reasonable peak with both cores loaded.

Still, if you guys are managing to cool X2 3800's with a 7000, I guess I must be doing something wrong. I'll try mounting the 7000 again with a little more AS5 this time and see if that makes things better or worse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mod Work Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Case Mod Work Logs › Project: X-QPack 1.1