Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club - Page 147

post #1461 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Further notes re: the above:

HOWEVER - the 12C increase in temps that has resulted on Load with the 470 bios, despite an extremely modest voltage bump (note I ran Vantage on .988V, which appears stable at stock vs. .975V on the 465 bios) ... is troublesome.

Make no mistake, these cards are still Fermi's, and they still run VERY hot. I would definitely NOT think that running these two cards w/o a gap between them is going to work out at all well.

The heat coming out of the 'blowhole' of the bottom card (where the turbine fan would normally be) shoots straight up at the fan of the top card. This means that the air coming out the blowhole of the top card is like a friggin volcanic eruption. And with my board, this magma-like blow-off is heading straight at my chipset fan.

I'm trying to figure out a safe way to patch up the blowholes in such a way that the card can still be easily returned to 'stock' for any future RMA.

With the amount of heat you are adding to your case, be prepared for CPU temps to go up, and everything else as well, esp. if you run them in SLI and flash them and OC them.

Despite the nifty copper, these cards are still little furnaces.
There is NO room between my cards. The my top card is usually 11-12C hotter than the lower card. I did not get to mess with the cards too much last night but with 70% fan speed the top card never got out of the 70's. The cool thing is these fans are not nearly as loud as my last cards so I do not mind the noise.

Do you think once these cards are flashed to 470's that the temps are going to be too hot? Too hot to OC any at all? Should I return the cards?

Any input appreciated.
White
(11 items)
 
 
Tundra/Desert
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 980GTX Corsair DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD H100i Windows 10 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 4 EVGA 850W Corsair 540 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7  Z68XP-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair  Seagate Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2770SMH-led Ducky Shine 4 Corsair 950TX Coolermaster Elite 
Mouse
R.A.T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 4.0Ghz w/HT Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x 560 Ti (1 PNY and 1 EVGA Superclocked) 6GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline DDR3 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel SSD 510 120GB/Seagate 1TB CORSAIR H70  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ACER GD235hz 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair 750W HAF X Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
White
(11 items)
 
 
Tundra/Desert
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 980GTX Corsair DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD H100i Windows 10 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 4 EVGA 850W Corsair 540 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7  Z68XP-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair  Seagate Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2770SMH-led Ducky Shine 4 Corsair 950TX Coolermaster Elite 
Mouse
R.A.T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 4.0Ghz w/HT Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x 560 Ti (1 PNY and 1 EVGA Superclocked) 6GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline DDR3 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel SSD 510 120GB/Seagate 1TB CORSAIR H70  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 ACER GD235hz 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair 750W HAF X Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1462 of 5083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post


Didn't mess with mine last night. Trying to get my 1055T stable at 4.0.

However someone above mentioned modding some 80mm fans on this thing. It would probably help quite a bit.
Just noticed your motherboard, Kama. I've got one sitting at home waiting to be installed. I'm holding out until I get my new cards before I replace my HDD, mobo, and my 5850 with these 465s.

How are you finding it for overclocing? I've heard the RAM settings menu can be very cumbersome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbsat View Post
There is NO room between my cards. The my top card is usually 11-12C hotter than the lower card. I did not get to mess with the cards too much last night but with 70% fan speed the top card never got out of the 70's. The cool thing is these fans are not nearly as loud as my last cards so I do not mind the noise.

Do you think once these cards are flashed to 470's that the temps are going to be too hot? Too hot to OC any at all? Should I return the cards?

Any input appreciated.
It doesn't hurt to try. Your cards might be fine with .975v VID after flashing. If that's the case, then they probably won't be that much hotter. You can always flash them back to the 465 BIOS is you need to return them.
Edited by Frosty88 - 8/11/10 at 6:11am
post #1463 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty88 View Post
This news is somewhat discouraging as I'm not will to run just one card and I have no way to run two with any space between. I may run 5850 xfire if these get too hot. I'm sure I could sell them if I had to.

Couldn't you use some kind of back plate to cover the hole? I know it's not a cost-free solution, but it should definitely get the job done.




On a lighter note, you're seeing some great gains after the flashing process. Just for comparison purposes, would you do a SLI 470 run on the performance preset. I want to see how close these can get to stock 480 SLI and most reviews/benchmarks use "Performance" mode.
I was thinking about ordering a backplate.

These are the same PCB as the reference EVGA GTX465/470, correct? So the EVGA backplate should fit just fine?

My card is doing just fine on temps considering the hotbox for a room that I live in. I just can't wait to get back to school and my cozy 68F ambient temp.
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1464 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty88 View Post
Just noticed your motherboard, Kama. I've got one sitting at home waiting to be installed. I'm holding out until I get my new cards before I replace my HDD, mobo, and my 5850 with these 465s.

How are you finding it for overclocing? I've heard the RAM settings menu can be very cumbersome.




It doesn't hurt to try. Your cards might be fine with .975v VID after flashing. If that's the case, then they probably won't be that much hotter. You can always flash them back to the 465 BIOS is you need to return them.
Yes, the RAM OCing is kind of ridiculous in that you can't actually set the RAM voltage, you have to "overvolt" it. Also, I still haven't found a way to manually adjust clocks. Don't even know if it is possible.

Also, once you get it IMMEDIATELY update the BIOS. There are some crazy bugs with the older BIOS, at least with my Thuban. Basically it was setting the first core at a 14x multi, but all the others at a 4x multi. Crazy.

But overall I think it is doing pretty well. Got my 1055T to 4.0 pretty stable (one hour of prime + some gaming...and then it BSOD'd) without much fiddling. Should have some more room to go up.
Eowyn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T x6 Biostar TA890FXE MSI 465(470)TFII GE 750/1900 G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 640AAKS Ubuntu 10.10 2x24" Asus MS Arc 
PowerCaseMouse
610 PC P&C Silencer P182 Logitech Marathon 
  hide details  
Reply
Eowyn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T x6 Biostar TA890FXE MSI 465(470)TFII GE 750/1900 G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 640AAKS Ubuntu 10.10 2x24" Asus MS Arc 
PowerCaseMouse
610 PC P&C Silencer P182 Logitech Marathon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1465 of 5083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
I was thinking about ordering a backplate.

These are the same PCB as the reference EVGA GTX465/470, correct? So the EVGA backplate should fit just fine?

My card is doing just fine on temps considering the hotbox for a room that I live in. I just can't wait to get back to school and my cozy 68F ambient temp.
It is a reference PCB, so there shouldn't be any problems with the evga backplate (not 100% sure though). I was looking at the EK backplate because it full coverage (no vents) and should prevent a lot of the hot air from shooting out the hole on the back ofthe card. That being said, it looks like it would have to be installed in combination with an EK water block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
Yes, the RAM OCing is kind of ridiculous in that you can't actually set the RAM voltage, you have to "overvolt" it. Also, I still haven't found a way to manually adjust clocks. Don't even know if it is possible.

Also, once you get it IMMEDIATELY update the BIOS. There are some crazy bugs with the older BIOS, at least with my Thuban. Basically it was setting the first core at a 14x multi, but all the others at a 4x multi. Crazy.

But overall I think it is doing pretty well. Got my 1055T to 4.0 pretty stable (one hour of prime + some gaming...and then it BSOD'd) without much fiddling. Should have some more room to go up.
Looks like it's going to take a lot of tweaking then. Glad to hear you got that 1055 to 4.0 (I'm sure you'll get it fully stable soon ).

The lastest BIOS is 6.29 or something, right?
Edited by Frosty88 - 8/11/10 at 6:32am
post #1466 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty88 View Post
Looks like it's going to take a lot of tweaking then. Glad to hear you got that 1055 to 4.0 (I'm sure you'll get it fully stable soon ).

The lastest BIOS is 6.29 or something, right?
Yeah, 6.29.
Eowyn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T x6 Biostar TA890FXE MSI 465(470)TFII GE 750/1900 G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 640AAKS Ubuntu 10.10 2x24" Asus MS Arc 
PowerCaseMouse
610 PC P&C Silencer P182 Logitech Marathon 
  hide details  
Reply
Eowyn
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T x6 Biostar TA890FXE MSI 465(470)TFII GE 750/1900 G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 640AAKS Ubuntu 10.10 2x24" Asus MS Arc 
PowerCaseMouse
610 PC P&C Silencer P182 Logitech Marathon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1467 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
I was thinking about ordering a backplate.

These are the same PCB as the reference EVGA GTX465/470, correct? So the EVGA backplate should fit just fine?

My card is doing just fine on temps considering the hotbox for a room that I live in. I just can't wait to get back to school and my cozy 68F ambient temp.
I thought about it too, and EVGA's website says the 470 backplate is compatible w/ 465s too. But I don't know if the Twin Frozr cooler will block the plate on the top. Seems like it wraps over a bit and that might run into the backplate.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77M-Pro Sapphire 7970 Mushkin DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Thermalright HR-02 Macho Accelero Xtreme Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 3007WFP-HC Deck Legend Ice Tactile Corsair AX650 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 SteelSeries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus P8Z77M-Pro Sapphire 7970 Mushkin DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Thermalright HR-02 Macho Accelero Xtreme Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 3007WFP-HC Deck Legend Ice Tactile Corsair AX650 Silverstone TJ08-E 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 SteelSeries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1468 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
I thought about it too, and EVGA's website says the 470 backplate is compatible w/ 465s too. But I don't know if the Twin Frozr cooler will block the plate on the top. Seems like it wraps over a bit and that might run into the backplate.
This is true. Nothing a little dermel-ing couldn't fix though! I'll see how my card looks in my new case before I buy.
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1469 of 5083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
This is true. Nothing a little dermel-ing couldn't fix though! I'll see how my card looks in my new case before I buy.
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek...ate-black.html

I can get one of these for $30 CDN. I'm considering picking one up to see if it can be mounted with the Twin Frozr II. I'm sure longer screws could be used up through the backplate and into the cooler.


This may do wonders for the temps in an SLI setup. Plus, they look awesome.
post #1470 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty88 View Post
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ek...ate-black.html

I can get one of these for $30 CDN. I'm considering picking one up to see if it can be mounted with the Twin Frozr II. I'm sure longer screws could be used up through the backplate and into the cooler.


This may do wonders for the temps in an SLI setup. Plus, they look awesome.
Quote:
Backplate serves as aesthetics add on.

This backplate is compatible only with Reference PCB design Nvidia 470 GTX cards in combination with any of EK-FC470 GTX waterblocks.
Hmm... aesthetics only? Do they really mean that? Also, I'm not sure if the holes on this will match up with the cooler for mounting without WB. Sure does look nice though.
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club