Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club - Page 405

post #4041 of 5083
Kind of a noob question.

Which are the most popular bios files used for this card?? from what i have read the bios is up to each card right?? but i just want to know which ones should i try??

I do not plan on overclocking it yet....... duhhhh this is OCN.

So i just want to get familiar with the bios flashing process and then go from then on.
X99 Hackintosh
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.6 Asus X99 Deluxe Gtx 980's in SLI 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Samsung 830 Pro with OSX Custom Loop  Dell Ultrawide U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710 Evga G1300 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Hackintosh
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k @ 4.6 Asus X99 Deluxe Gtx 980's in SLI 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Samsung 830 Pro with OSX Custom Loop  Dell Ultrawide U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710 Evga G1300 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4042 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolindsm127 View Post
Looking forward to it. Also links to bios' posted for your convenience
Hey, thanks, I just flashed it to the 470tfr bios, and my VID is 1.025 V underload, idle same result, .8750 V.

I am going to run some stress tests with this bios. On that last BIOS (NCspecV81's modded BIOS) the display driver did crash after about 45 minutes or so of running furmark.

I opened up the windows, and turned on a fan in my apt, now I am seeing max temp of 65 C with the fan @ 80%, Furmark has only been running 10 minutes though. When it was on auto it got up to 77 C after 5 minutes of Furmark. Quite a drop from 74 C with the fan @ 80%, of course that temp was with a different BIOS with higher voltage, and faster clocks. That's really like comparing apples to oranges I guess.
post #4043 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It sounds like the overclock is being rejected and ends up performing the benchmark in the low-power 2D clocks. Check the clocks during some load (like Furmark or Kombuster or something) and watch the clocks.
I was using kombuster and the clocks seem to hold as far as I could tell? I'm going to try and use a different bios, can't imagine that'll make much of a difference?

Temps seem kindof high, it's pretty warm today in LA but I was getting 78 degrees after 10min of kombuster with fans set around 75%.
Edited by eaglepowers - 9/28/10 at 11:17pm
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4044 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepowers View Post
I was using kombuster and the clocks seem to hold as far as I could tell? I'm going to try and use a different bios, can't imagine that'll make much of a difference?

Temps seem kindof high, it's pretty warm today in LA but I was getting 78 degrees after 10min of kombuster with fans set around 75%.
Hmm. Then this makes me wonder if the bad benchmark was due to an unstable overclock. But, I don't know if that's possible.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4045 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post
Hey, thanks, I just flashed it to the 470tfr bios, and my VID is 1.025 V underload, idle same result, .8750 V.

I am going to run some stress tests with this bios. On that last BIOS (NCspecV81's modded BIOS) the display driver did crash after about 45 minutes or so of running furmark.

I opened up the windows, and turned on a fan in my apt, now I am seeing max temp of 65 C with the fan @ 80%, Furmark has only been running 10 minutes though. When it was on auto it got up to 77 C after 5 minutes of Furmark. Quite a drop from 74 C with the fan @ 80%, of course that temp was with a different BIOS with higher voltage, and faster clocks. That's really like comparing apples to oranges I guess.
You are right, it wouldn't be a fair comparison mainly due to the voltage difference.

I say you use OCCT actually for stability testing. A custom 10 min GPU Test in OCCT will determine whether or not your overclock is stable. From what I have learned, video cards are a lot more sensitive to stress than say CPUs. If you continue stressing the card and testing it for several hours at a time you will literally be decreasing it's life span.
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4046 of 5083
Ok, so I installed the 470tfr.rom bios and my VID is .987v under load.

I ran kombuster around 8 min and got 63 degrees and once again it seemed to hold the stock settings just fine. I guess I'll try running vantage and see if anything changes?

edit- still really low scores, not sure what's going on but it's not looking good?

edit- Ok so I figured it out. My VID was too low and even though Kombuster was showing the proper clocks it was defaulting to something really low. The tell-tale sign was my fps on kombuster was less than 300.
update- Now it appears it's my nvidia drivers that are underclocking the card? I just reinstalled the drivers and so far it hasn't magically underclocked itself yet.

So currently I'm running #1681 unlocked at 828 1600 1800 at VID 1.075v. I'll play around and see if I can get the VID any lower? I scored 17900 in Vantage and so far I'm very happy with the performance and noise level of the card.
Edited by eaglepowers - 9/29/10 at 9:20am
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4047 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolindsm127 View Post
You are right, it wouldn't be a fair comparison mainly due to the voltage difference.

I say you use OCCT actually for stability testing. A custom 10 min GPU Test in OCCT will determine whether or not your overclock is stable. From what I have learned, video cards are a lot more sensitive to stress than say CPUs. If you continue stressing the card and testing it for several hours at a time you will literally be decreasing it's life span.
Valid point, I don't think GPU manufacturer's intend on their product to be used at 99% for an extended period of time.

I've been playing around with OCCT this morning, while putting off going to work, I started overclocking the card at 700 mhz, memory core up to 1700 mhz, passed 10 min GPU test fine. I increased GPU core clock in increments of 25 mhz, and now i'm up to 775 mhz, with memory at 1800 mhz, and just passed OCCT GPU test with no errors.

I think it could probably go higher, but I'm happy with those results for now, I really do have to get ready for work. I mean it was pretty stable with NCspecV81's modded BIOS, and you all ready know what that is clocked at.

I'm really happy with this card, especially since I bought it off eBay "open box" from NCIX. I had read on their forums about a lot of people sending theirs back, and them selling ones that didn't unlock, so I didn't even expect to get one that would unlock without artifacing, or being unstable.

I am kind of pissed that the next guy that bought one from NCIX off ebay got his for 179.99 + 15 shipping. That's $50 cheaper than what my auction ended for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3343wt_1124

Although in the description of my item it did say 1280 MB, and 320-bit bus, and his says 1024 MB, so perhaps that was their way of letting me know I could unlock it.
post #4048 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post
I am kind of pissed that the next guy that bought one from NCIX off ebay got his for 179.99 + 15 shipping. That's $50 cheaper than what my auction ended for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3343wt_1124

Although in the description of my item it did say 1280 MB, and 320-bit bus, and his says 1024 MB, so perhaps that was their way of letting me know I could unlock it.
If his did unlock that's a crazy price. I'm glad I got mine for $207 shipped from the egg, open box.
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr08
(12 items)
 
Mr 07
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H  MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 4x4gb Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fatal1ty Creative  SeaSonic X650 Gold  Silverstone Fortress FT02 Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 3.2g Asus P5k Deluxe MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE #1954 (unlocked 470) 8gb Corsair Dominator 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
60g OCz Vertex II, Raptor and 2x 1.5tb Win7 64bit Ultimate Eizo CG19 and Dell 2407 Fatal1ty Creative 
PowerMouse
Corsair 520W Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4049 of 5083
getting ready to flash my bios. Any suggestions on which 470 bios to use?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 3.6 Asus P6X58D Premium MSI GTX 465 TwinFrozrII GE #2154 G Skill Trident 2000 DDr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 300 w\ 2x 1TB Seagate in raid 0 HP dvd 1270 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 LG W2361V 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Corsair HX850W Corsair Obsidain 800D Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
junk 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 3.6 Asus P6X58D Premium MSI GTX 465 TwinFrozrII GE #2154 G Skill Trident 2000 DDr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 300 w\ 2x 1TB Seagate in raid 0 HP dvd 1270 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 LG W2361V 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Corsair HX850W Corsair Obsidain 800D Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
junk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4050 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepowers View Post
Ok, so I installed the 470tfr.rom bios and my VID is .987v under load.

I ran kombuster around 8 min and got 63 degrees and once again it seemed to hold the stock settings just fine. I guess I'll try running vantage and see if anything changes?

edit- still really low scores, not sure what's going on but it's not looking good?

edit- Ok so I figured it out. My VID was too low and even though Kombuster was showing the proper clocks it was defaulting to something really low. The tell-tale sign was my fps on kombuster was less than 300.
update- Now it appears it's my nvidia drivers that are underclocking the card? I just reinstalled the drivers and so far it hasn't magically underclocked itself yet.

So currently I'm running #1681 unlocked at 828 1600 1800 at VID 1.075v. I'll play around and see if I can get the VID any lower? I scored 17900 in Vantage and so far I'm very happy with the performance and noise level of the card.
Hey you may be experiencing those problems due to an improper driver installation. I was also experiencing problems with stability until I learned the proper way to remove and install the latest drivers. Check this post out by TwoCables

This thread is so big now people don't even bother to read the previous posts, yet I don't blame them for that. Everyday people bring up topics which 99% of the time have been discussed already in great detail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourial View Post
getting ready to flash my bios. Any suggestions on which 470 bios to use?
Which bios to use? Totally up to you. Trial and error my friend; try them all and see which works best for you or gets highest Vantage score or whatever. The "optimal" choice (or at least for me) is the stock MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II Bios since essentially this is what the GE unlocks to. Two versions of this bios were just posted last night so you don't have to go searching through this thread for it. Good luck with the unlock and be sure to report your VID before and after
Edited by spoolindsm127 - 9/29/10 at 10:33am
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club