Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club - Page 467

post #4661 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
Now that makes perfect sense as to what could've happened

I wonder if there are any more unlockable 465's with reference 470 PCB's that didn't make the cut into 470, so were sold as 465's, hmmmm..... I mean, isn't this how the gtx 465 GE was born?
"Unlockable" is an inaccurate word because they're not unlockable (there's no "unlocking" taking place). It's just that they were GTX 470s binned as GTX 465s for one reason or another. So what's really happening is that the end user simply flashes the card with a GTX 470's BIOS, which is what most people are referring to as "unlocking" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOwpr View Post
Lol silly me, gotcha. Maybe so, but if you don't mind, I'll go on thinking I've struck gold (pun intended) when it's just pyrite.
lol I don't blame ya!
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4662 of 5083
Now to fold.
Winter Dreams
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 C3 Biostar TA890FXE GTX 770 G-Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Western Digital Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Razer Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition Razer Deathadder Black Edition Razer Vespula Asus Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
Reply
Winter Dreams
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 C3 Biostar TA890FXE GTX 770 G-Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
Western Digital Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Razer Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition Razer Deathadder Black Edition Razer Vespula Asus Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4663 of 5083
So I was trying to squeeze some more overclocking out of my 465GE the other day, when something pretty frightening happened.

To preface this, my PC has been running rock-solid stable on CPU overclock and GPU overclock for weeks. I have been running on the 260.99 drivers for over a month, so there was really nothing to warrant this.

Current GPU overclock is 700/1401/1674/1.038


I first started by raising my GPU voltage to 1.075 and figured I would go as high as I could on the core with that voltage and be done with it. As expected, this was fine.

Then I fired up OCCT and let it warm up to max temperature, which reached about 82C with 75% fanspeed. Pretty toasty, but nothing serious.

So I started bumping up the core clock in 10MHz increments. I got it up to 750MHz on the core and everything seemed hunky dory. OCCT was artifact-free, temps were around 84C, etc.

Then, when I went to bump to 760MHz, the screen went black.

The computer continued to run, but I could not evoke any response from the keyboard or mouse.

So I held the power button until it powered off.

When I brought it back up, I got the whole "Windows did not shut down properly" screen. I tried to start Windows normally, but it got to the black loading screen and died after about 10 seconds. It automatically restarted and I launched the recovery console this time. It did it's thing, tried to fix any errors that it found, but said that it was unable to do so.

Now that I was panicking a little bit, I just powered it down and unplugged it and let it sit til the mobo light went out. Upon reboot, I selected boot normally, and it made it to Windows in time for me to disable the overclock.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is:

What caused all this? Did I not have enough core voltage? Did it have some huge error and just crash the driver beyond repair?

With any other GPU, I would just get a black screen for a second and then it would come back and say the driver stopped responding and has recovered, but not this time.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with these cards not being "true" 470's which makes them extra-prone to catastrophic failure...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I would also LOVE to lower my temps. In BC2 under foll load, I only get to ~65C, but 82-83C in OCCT seems a bit high for a Twin Frozr II on a mild 700MHz overclock. Has anyone tried removing the heatsink and sanding down the standoffs to apply more pressure on the GPU?
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4664 of 5083
It almost sounds like it was caused by the heat. It was said that this may be one of the reasons our cards were binned as GTX 465s instead of 470s: they don't handle the heat nearly as well as they should (which might also explain their decision to use the Twin Frozr II cooler).

But if this happens again, then just jump right into Safe Mode and disable the overclock so that you don't have to keep hurting Windows by performing multiple improper shut downs in a row (that is, should it ever come that).
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4665 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It almost sounds like it was caused by the heat. It was said that this may be one of the reasons our cards were binned as GTX 465s instead of 470s: they don't handle the heat nearly as well as they should (which might also explain their decision to use the Twin Frozr II cooler).

But if this happens again, then just jump right into Safe Mode and disable the overclock so that you don't have to keep hurting Windows by performing multiple improper shut downs in a row (that is, should it ever come that).
I actually tried, but no matter what F-key I hit, I couldn't get the prompt for safe boot to come up. Which F-key is it normally just so I make sure I did try it?
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4666 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
I actually tried, but no matter what F-key I hit, I couldn't get the prompt for safe boot to come up. Which F-key is it normally just so I make sure I did try it?
It's F8. The secret is to hold it down, overlapping the transition between the POST and when the motherboard attempts to boot from a drive. So in other words, just hold down F8 until it prompts you.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4667 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It's F8. The secret is to hold it down, overlapping the transition between the POST and when the motherboard attempts to boot from a drive. So in other words, just hold down F8 until it prompts you.
I could have sworn I tried that... oh well. I'll try again next time.

Thanks!
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4668 of 5083
I had mentioned this before, but these cards (maybe more so than regular 470s due to them being orginally binned as 465s, or maybe it's just my card) are very very sensitive to temps in the 80s. Even a couple degrees below 80c will make the difference between 100% stable and crashing.

The issue you are referring to occurred to me as well, where the screens goes black during OCCT and the system becomes "unresponsive". When this happens, does your fan get stuck at whatever speed it was at and just continue running like so?

I usually do exactly what you said, Hold the power button to power down then power back up. But usually I can just boot back into windows without a problem.

I discovered my card's sensitivity to high temperature when I was trying to stabilize my 810/1620/2010 overclock. I removed my side panel on my Lian-Li PC-A17 case thinking this would help keep the card cooler. Oddly enough though the card was actually being cooled better with the side panel ON. I assumed I was disturbing the aerodynamics inside the case by removing the panel, so it sorta made sense.

So I start overclocking with the case panel off, starting with 1.062v. The card artifacts bad within the first minute so I end the test immediately. Temperatures didn't even get past 72c I think. I bumped it to 1.075v and ran the test again. This time no artifacts, but temperature kept climbing till it got to 80c. Seconds after the video card crashed, doing the unresponsive black out screen like you described.

Then I realized from the previous day that at the same voltages the card was running a lot cooler. But that time I had the side panel ON. So I thought, could it be actually running cooler with the side panel ON?? I put the panel on and start testing again. Set my OC to 810/1620/2010 @ 1.075v. OCCT passes with no errors or crashes. Max temp this time around was 78c, reaching 79c during the last 40 seconds of the test. I bumped the memory a bit to 2020MHz and I passed that too with 1.075v and the side panel ON.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that the card was able to pass the OCCT test only because the temperature didn't reach 80c, or else it would have not. This got me to thinking about putting the card under water. I can only imagine how far it will clock then
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4669 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolindsm127 View Post
I had mentioned this before, but these cards (maybe more so than regular 470s due to them being orginally binned as 465s, or maybe it's just my card) are very very sensitive to temps in the 80s. Even a couple degrees below 80c will make the difference between 100% stable and crashing.

The issue you are referring to occurred to me as well, where the screens goes black during OCCT and the system becomes "unresponsive". When this happens, does your fan get stuck at whatever speed it was at and just continue running like so?

I usually do exactly what you said, Hold the power button to power down then power back up. But usually I can just boot back into windows without a problem.

I discovered my card's sensitivity to high temperature when I was trying to stabilize my 810/1620/2010 overclock. I removed my side panel on my Lian-Li PC-A17 case thinking this would help keep the card cooler. Oddly enough though the card was actually being cooled better with the side panel ON. I assumed I was disturbing the aerodynamics inside the case by removing the panel, so it sorta made sense.

So I start overclocking with the case panel off, starting with 1.062v. The card artifacts bad within the first minute so I end the test immediately. Temperatures didn't even get past 72c I think. I bumped it to 1.075v and ran the test again. This time no artifacts, but temperature kept climbing till it got to 80c. Seconds after the video card crashed, doing the unresponsive black out screen like you described.

Then I realized from the previous day that at the same voltages the card was running a lot cooler. But that time I had the side panel ON. So I thought, could it be actually running cooler with the side panel ON?? I put the panel on and start testing again. Set my OC to 810/1620/2010 @ 1.075v. OCCT passes with no errors or crashes. Max temp this time around was 78c, reaching 79c during the last 40 seconds of the test. I bumped the memory a bit to 2020MHz and I passed that too with 1.075v and the side panel ON.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that the card was able to pass the OCCT test only because the temperature didn't reach 80c, or else it would have not. This got me to thinking about putting the card under water. I can only imagine how far it will clock then
Very good input! I'm very happy to see I'm not the only person experiencing this. I, too, have contemplated putting the card under water, but the reason that really pushed me to get this card was the heatsink, so removing it would be heartbreaking. I'm thinking that maybe sanding down the standoffs will help me temps.

I guess that will be my project over winter break after I get my radiator relocated.

As I said, I only get to ~65C in BC2 at 99% load, but OCCT really burns this thing up and I'm not sure how else to test stability of an overclock besides a program like OCCT or Kombustor or Furmark.

It's not too easy to keep alt-tabbing back and forth between games and Afterburner. and waiting for it to crash.
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v (Tinkering) P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB M4, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4670 of 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
I, too, have contemplated putting the card under water, but the reason that really pushed me to get this card was the heatsink, so removing it would be heartbreaking.
I agree 100%! The only reason I bought this card was because of the heatsink. I thought about it for days about putting the card under water, but I seriously couldn't get over taking off the heatsink and ruining the originality of the card. I kept thinking that I should have just bought a reference 470 when they were on sale for under $200


Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
As I said, I only get to ~65C in BC2 at 99% load, but OCCT really burns this thing up and I'm not sure how else to test stability of an overclock besides a program like OCCT or Kombustor or Furmark.
Same here. Games do not get the card nearly as hot as OCCT does. And I believe OCCT stresses the card more than Kombustor or Furmark. If I wasn't such a perfectionist I would just use BC2 or the games I mainly play to test for stability, since they don't stress the card as much.


Have you tried the pencil mod yet? From my experience it seems that both memory and core clock need to be raised together. That is why I refer to Nvidia factory clocks to set my overclocks. Before the pencil mod my memory reached only 1867MHz, and my core was capped at 772MHz. I couldn't even reach 797MHz, would crash almost immediately. After doing the pencil mod, memory clock went up to 2020MHz and core clock went up to 810MHz.
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
spoolin_i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-980X @ 4.433GHz ASUS Rampage III Extreme eVGA GTX 670 FTW @ 1300MHz / 7245MHz Corsair Dominator GT @ 2002MHz 7-7-7-20-1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB Asus DRW-24B1LT Windows 7 x64 Samsung S27A350H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Enermax Platimax 1200W Lian Li PC-T60B Logitech Anywhere MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › MSI GTX465 Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Owners Club