Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › fx-60 vs 65nm pentium extreme edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

fx-60 vs 65nm pentium extreme edition - Page 6

post #51 of 62
Excuse me but, isn't this thread in the CPU section? ... Anyways fanboyism aside and back to the original topic, I think that going with the fx-60 would be your best bet. seeing as how you are building this comp for someone else.

Reason for this desicison,

- FX - 60 is a better CPU at stock speeds, and we don't know if this person wants to OC

- The Intel CPU 955EE should be used only if you plan to OC alot.

- SLI runs great with amd, also if you wish to go with Crossfire you can find a good AMD mobo with Crossfire capabilities.

There are many other reasons to go with either cpu, however IMO this would be YOUR best choice for this particualr project. Take it or leave it.

- also if you would like help finding a decent mobo for the set-up let me know I am willing to help out anyone with w/e I can.

PS - Timmay7 Please give more thought to your arguments if you wish people to take you seriously. You say that people should know that 2x X1900XT's in crossfire are better than two SLI'd 7900GTX's. You should explain why, and because is not an answer. Pauldovi included an explanation and benchmarks in his argument. BTW I'm not saying either of you were correct I'm just saying maybe you should put some thought into your argument.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X3210 @ 8*450 L726B ASUS P5B-D XFX 8800GTS 320mb 2x 2Gb Gskill DDR2-1000 PQ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD160 GB sata II Liteon SOHW-1633s W7 64bit 19in LCD Fujiplus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Black Seasonic S12-600 Tsunami 1 silenx 90 cfm 120mm Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X3210 @ 8*450 L726B ASUS P5B-D XFX 8800GTS 320mb 2x 2Gb Gskill DDR2-1000 PQ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD160 GB sata II Liteon SOHW-1633s W7 64bit 19in LCD Fujiplus 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Black Seasonic S12-600 Tsunami 1 silenx 90 cfm 120mm Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyzkickazz
PS - Timmay7 Please give more thought to your arguments if you wish people to take you seriously. You say that people should know that 2x X1900XT's in crossfire are better than two SLI'd 7900GTX's. You should explain why, and because is not an answer. Pauldovi included an explanation and benchmarks in his argument. BTW I'm not saying either of you were correct I'm just saying maybe you should put some thought into your argument.
Sorry, im kinda lazy when it comes to this stuff... dont really feel like searching for benchmarks and all that crap, im just stating my opinion and i dont really care if people take it seriously or not because i base my opinions on hard facts, hard pixel shaders.. And i just remembered that i have a big presentation to present for the class tomorrow and i dont feel like spending my homework time, now when the time is 1:15 in the morning trying to prove my facts when its pretty obvious that they are true to people who do know the least of basic graphics technology in their head, and not just minds stated on whats currently best.

And yeah, sorry for the off topic. I must agree with cowboyzkickazz that the FX60 (using cowboyzkickazz's arguements and cowboyzkickazz's proof bla bla ) is best
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3200+ Venice E3 s939 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum X850XTPE AGP Geil 2gb ddr400 2.5-3-3-8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar 300gb WinXP Acer LCD 17" Creative thing 
PowerCaseMouse
Hiper Type-R 580W Blue Aopen H600B crap Logitech thing 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3200+ Venice E3 s939 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum X850XTPE AGP Geil 2gb ddr400 2.5-3-3-8 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar 300gb WinXP Acer LCD 17" Creative thing 
PowerCaseMouse
Hiper Type-R 580W Blue Aopen H600B crap Logitech thing 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 62
Thread Starter 
thanks but this person wants me to oc it a ton FOR him so im goin w intel and 2 x1900xtx

but yeah fx-60 is better w o oc
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D e6400 GIGABYTE GA965P-S3 nVidia GeForce 7600GT 1 GB DDR 800 OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD DVD+-RW XP-games+Gentoo-programmin 21' Sun CRT (pwns LCD) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Regular PS/2 "Quietkey" 680WEchoStar+500Wforfans Uber-modded SuperTower(got for $16!)dual PSU+LEDs USB Optical Dell *ewww, dell* 
Mouse Pad
"ALGOR" POS 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D e6400 GIGABYTE GA965P-S3 nVidia GeForce 7600GT 1 GB DDR 800 OCZ Gold 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD DVD+-RW XP-games+Gentoo-programmin 21' Sun CRT (pwns LCD) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Regular PS/2 "Quietkey" 680WEchoStar+500Wforfans Uber-modded SuperTower(got for $16!)dual PSU+LEDs USB Optical Dell *ewww, dell* 
Mouse Pad
"ALGOR" POS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay7
hyperthreading doesnt allow any single application take more than 50% of the CPU, doesnt it? That sucks
Not true. Any program can use 100% of the CPU and any spare cycles are assigned to a virtual core, and if the program is multithreaded, it can use that virtual core. That way a program can use up to 150% compared with a CPU without HT.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat
Not true. Any program can use 100% of the CPU and any spare cycles are assigned to a virtual core, and if the program is multithreaded, it can use that virtual core. That way a program can use up to 150% compared with a CPU without HT.
In theory that kind makes sense but you cannot use 150% of a whole thing. Factually you would be using only 100% or a nominal full load on the CPU.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Week 40 / E6850 Week 23 EVGA 680i SLI NF68-A1 EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked 2x 1GB Crucial Tracer Ballistix DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Striped Raptor 150's, Seagate 7200.10 750Gb LiteOn 16x DVD RW XP Pro, Vista Ultimate Mag 19 Inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ 850W GameXStream Lian Li PC-777B Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Steel Pad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Week 40 / E6850 Week 23 EVGA 680i SLI NF68-A1 EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked 2x 1GB Crucial Tracer Ballistix DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Striped Raptor 150's, Seagate 7200.10 750Gb LiteOn 16x DVD RW XP Pro, Vista Ultimate Mag 19 Inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ 850W GameXStream Lian Li PC-777B Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Steel Pad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall82
In theory that kind makes sense
No, even in theory that would not make any sense. One can not contain more than 100% (excluding Quantum theory, and Quantum theory only exists in the realm of the Quantified Quanta) of any container, whether it be a bucket of paint or a theoretical data processing translation to pipeline. Two buckets, yes but not two logical buckets being held in one physical bucket. Make sense?

What happens is a task-switching event will take place allowing the concurrent streams of data to utilize the pathways of the cache subsystem but this will never even come close to 100% utilization although it might seem so because the portion of unused processor time-slice is held in abeyance and is functionally stalled showing both logical units at full capacity.

R
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall82
In theory that kind makes sense but you cannot use 150% of a whole thing. Factually you would be using only 100% or a nominal full load on the CPU.
150% in comparison to the same CPU without HT enabled.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropey
No, even in theory that would not make any sense. One can not contain more than 100% (excluding Quantum theory, and Quantum theory only exists in the realm of the Quantified Quanta) of any container, whether it be a bucket of paint or a theoretical data processing translation to pipeline. Two buckets, yes but not two logical buckets being held in one physical bucket. Make sense?

What happens is a task-switching event will take place allowing the concurrent streams of data to utilize the pathways of the cache subsystem but this will never even come close to 100% utilization although it might seem so because the portion of unused processor time-slice is held in abeyance and is functionally stalled showing both logical units at full capacity.

R
Thanks for the disclaimer for us physics geeks!
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi
Thanks for the disclaimer for us physics geeks!
I knew if I didn't say that then you were going to post "What about"... and have my ass in a sling.



R
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat
150% in comparison to the same CPU without HT enabled.
Then you should say the CPU without HT is only running at 66% potential instead of saying something is running at 150%.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Week 40 / E6850 Week 23 EVGA 680i SLI NF68-A1 EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked 2x 1GB Crucial Tracer Ballistix DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Striped Raptor 150's, Seagate 7200.10 750Gb LiteOn 16x DVD RW XP Pro, Vista Ultimate Mag 19 Inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ 850W GameXStream Lian Li PC-777B Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Steel Pad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Week 40 / E6850 Week 23 EVGA 680i SLI NF68-A1 EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked 2x 1GB Crucial Tracer Ballistix DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Striped Raptor 150's, Seagate 7200.10 750Gb LiteOn 16x DVD RW XP Pro, Vista Ultimate Mag 19 Inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ 850W GameXStream Lian Li PC-777B Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Steel Pad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › fx-60 vs 65nm pentium extreme edition