Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › RAM always failing MemTest86, help plz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RAM always failing MemTest86, help plz

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi, no matter what i do whenever i try to OC my HTT/FSB and run memtest86, i would always get hundreds or thousands of errors. Its currently on 2-3-2-6@1T timings with 2.68 volts. When i tried 220 HTT/FSB, i used 2.5-3-2-7@1T and that showed thousands of errors. Then i tried 2.5-3-2-7@2T and i would still get thousands of errors. Then I tried 3-3-3-8@2T and i would get a couple hundred errors...

Am i doing something wrong? Or is my RAM just bad at OCing, or is it defective?

Memtest86 would pass fine when everything is on default clocks, settings, and voltages

help anyone?
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacKz5o
Hi, no matter what i do whenever i try to OC my HTT/FSB and run memtest86, i would always get hundreds or thousands of errors. Its currently on 2-3-2-6@1T timings with 2.68 volts. When i tried 220 HTT/FSB, i used 2.5-3-2-7@1T and that showed thousands of errors. Then i tried 2.5-3-2-7@2T and i would still get thousands of errors. Then I tried 3-3-3-8@2T and i would get a couple hundred errors...

Am i doing something wrong? Or is my RAM just bad at OCing, or is it defective?

Memtest86 would pass fine when everything is on default clocks, settings, and voltages

help anyone?
Your ram should be able to easily do 220, so I wouldnt say it is that. Voltage is within the normal range also. Since the timings got better as you loosen them I would bet it is that. You can loosen them to 3-4-4-8, and see if you get less errors. I would also advise changing the settings to stock and run memtest. If it doesnt pass on its stock settings then they are defective.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4400 P35 DS3R 8800GTS 2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x SATA 80GB, 160GB Hitachi - 1x 120GB Samsung IDE DVDRW Fedora 7 and Windows XP ViewSonic VX922 2ms 19in 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
basic 520W Corsair Thermaltake VB1000WWS Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4400 P35 DS3R 8800GTS 2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x SATA 80GB, 160GB Hitachi - 1x 120GB Samsung IDE DVDRW Fedora 7 and Windows XP ViewSonic VX922 2ms 19in 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
basic 520W Corsair Thermaltake VB1000WWS Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
ok when you overclock the ram what are your volts at? also what is your ht multi?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3500+ A8N-SLI (Nforce4) Xp home LG 17" crt 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Labtec Antec 480 2.0 True Power Antec TX 1088 AMG Microsoft Wheel/Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3500+ A8N-SLI (Nforce4) Xp home LG 17" crt 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Labtec Antec 480 2.0 True Power Antec TX 1088 AMG Microsoft Wheel/Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippon
Your ram should be able to easily do 220, so I wouldnt say it is that. Voltage is within the normal range also. Since the timings got better as you loosen them I would bet it is that. You can loosen them to 3-4-4-8, and see if you get less errors. I would also advise changing the settings to stock and run memtest. If it doesnt pass on its stock settings then they are defective.
they pass fine on stock, 2-3-2-6@1T, i ran for an hour (2 passes i think). should i let it test overnight for more then 8 hours or something?
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcantec
ok when you overclock the ram what are your volts at? also what is your ht multi?
HT multi? isn't that like LTD or LDT? if it is, its on auto, my BIOS will automaticly figure it out and choose whichever one i need. HTT multipliers on 10. Runs fine on 200Mhz, but on 220 it fails everything in memtest
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Some bios versions do not like using loose timings, also try using different slots to see if that helps, yellow\\orange. Bump ya vdimm up .1V and see if that helps also.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 3800 ALBATRON KM51PV M-ATX Gainward 7900GT 512MB Team Group PC4K 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4 x 250GB That is me. 19" LCD WOLF CLAW V2 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Grunt Aspire X-QPACK The trigger machanism 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 3800 ALBATRON KM51PV M-ATX Gainward 7900GT 512MB Team Group PC4K 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4 x 250GB That is me. 19" LCD WOLF CLAW V2 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Grunt Aspire X-QPACK The trigger machanism 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchan
Some bios versions do not like using loose timings, also try using different slots to see if that helps, yellow\\orange. Bump ya vdimm up .1V and see if that helps also.
well my sticks are already in the orange slots, and my BIOS doesn't like the yellow, and if u want dual channel its only orange orange. and i can't just bump my vdimm up .1V

its 2.60V or 2.7V or 2.8V etc.

its set on 2.6V but its getnig 2.68V so if i set it on 2.7V it might actually get 2.78V or about 2.8V. that might be too high
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacKz5o
well my sticks are already in the orange slots, and my BIOS doesn't like the yellow, and if u want dual channel its only orange orange. and i can't just bump my vdimm up .1V

its 2.60V or 2.7V or 2.8V etc.

its set on 2.6V but its getnig 2.68V so if i set it on 2.7V it might actually get 2.78V or about 2.8V. that might be too high
Im confused, isn't 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 .1v increases?

If you have quality OCZ ram, then you should have no problem going to 2.7Volts or 2.78Volts. Many people on here have much more volts running through there RAM, granted it varies stick to stick. But generally, high quality RAM can easily take the extra volts, and you will get more stability from it.

And you do need to run the memory check overnight, it takes a very long time to adequatly test RAM.

I was kind of confused on whether or not you loosened the timings AND set it to stock speeds. Atleast set it to what the advertised timings and speeds are. If they do not meet (pass memcheck) the advertised speeds a timings then they are technically "faulty" and you should return them.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4400 P35 DS3R 8800GTS 2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x SATA 80GB, 160GB Hitachi - 1x 120GB Samsung IDE DVDRW Fedora 7 and Windows XP ViewSonic VX922 2ms 19in 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
basic 520W Corsair Thermaltake VB1000WWS Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4400 P35 DS3R 8800GTS 2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x SATA 80GB, 160GB Hitachi - 1x 120GB Samsung IDE DVDRW Fedora 7 and Windows XP ViewSonic VX922 2ms 19in 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
basic 520W Corsair Thermaltake VB1000WWS Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
What is the exact model of your memory? There are quite a few versions of OCZ El with various types chips on the modules like BH-5, TCCD, Infineon CE-6, UCCC, TCB3, TCC5... Each type of memory chips like varying voltages.

Edit: Since you have not gotten back check out THIS thread from DFI Street Forum. Will help you out. If you have a chip like BH-5 you will need to pump 3.1 to 3.2 volts into your memory, and if you have TCCD memory you will want to be around 2.7 to 2.8 volts. See what a difference the chips make? Research it and you will see.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L MSI 9800GT Mushkin 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 400GB / Seagate 80GB Asus 18X DVD-Burner Vista Ultimate 32-bit KDS 22" LCD 
PowerCaseMouse
Mushkin 550W Antec P180B Logitech Mx500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L MSI 9800GT Mushkin 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 400GB / Seagate 80GB Asus 18X DVD-Burner Vista Ultimate 32-bit KDS 22" LCD 
PowerCaseMouse
Mushkin 550W Antec P180B Logitech Mx500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricmix
What is the exact model of your memory? There are quite a few versions of OCZ El with various types chips on the modules like BH-5, TCCD, Infineon CE-6, UCCC, TCB3, TCC5... Each type of memory chips like varying voltages.

Edit: Since you have not gotten back check out THIS thread from DFI Street Forum. Will help you out. If you have a chip like BH-5 you will need to pump 3.1 to 3.2 volts into your memory, and if you have TCCD memory you will want to be around 2.7 to 2.8 volts. See what a difference the chips make? Research it and you will see.
OCZ4001024ELDC-K

they're infineon chips

btw, i'll check out the link thx

im a member of DFI-street, havn't seen that post tho lol
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rigasaurus-reX
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Toledo 3800 X2 E6 (CCBWE) DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D XFX 6800GS 500/1200 2x512MB OCZ Enhanced Latency 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD-Caviar 16M 3GB/s NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Pro SP2 17in. ŁĊĐ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Åntec TRUEPOWERII 550W ThermalTake Tsunami Logitech G7 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
SteelPad S&S 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › RAM always failing MemTest86, help plz