Overclock.net banner

how to remove green tint (algae) from tubes?

5K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  loser7 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ripping apart my loop, and there is a green tint to all my tubing, is there anything household or local that I could add to the loop to remove the algae? I've been running it for about a month without any biocide, as my kill koils got lost in the mail
I've ordered new ones but again they'll take time to get here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
Im afraid once tubing changes colour you will have to use some chemical to strip out the tinted tubing but as a result of that you will compromise the tubing's integrity. In the end you will have to get new tubing.
100% this

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
100% this
100% that

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwesley View Post
Hey there. You probably have to clean your blocks, pump and rad too while you are at it. =(

Wes
Aye, you probably need to do that.

Fill the radiator with a mix of vingar and water, and let it stay in there for a few hours.

And buy new tubes

#16 ·
lol screw buying new tubes, already dropped like 6000 on this build, tubing alone cost $200, I'll just stick with it, as it's really not bad, you can only even see the green tint in the light... and I'll throw some algae killer in the loop too. gawd this rig has been such a pain.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3||scr3am View Post
lol screw buying new tubes, already dropped like 6000 on this build, tubing alone cost $200, i'll just stick with it, as it's really not bad, you can only even see the green tint in the light... And i'll throw some algae killer in the loop too. Gawd this rig has been such a pain.
wht the ehck kind of tubing is it for $200? Platinum plated?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriztoffer View Post
Aye, you probably need to do that.

Fill the radiator with a mix of vingar and water, and let it stay in there for a few hours.

And buy new tubes
That's right. You need to douche your box my man. But you don't have to take anything apart
Use White vingear and water. 20% Vinegar. Circulate the fluid through the rig using a jumpered PSU for the pump. After 20 minutes drain and flush THREE times and refill with steam distilled and one drop of dish soap. If you are plagued by algea drop a pure silver coin in the reservoir or a strip of silver in a tube.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
That's right. You need to douche your box my man. But you don't have to take anything apart
Use White vingear and water. 20% Vinegar. Circulate the fluid through the rig using a jumpered PSU for the pump. After 20 minutes drain and flush THREE times and refill with steam distilled and one drop of dish soap. If you are plagued by algea drop a pure silver coin in the reservoir or a strip of silver in a tube.
This ^ Should really help, just like a silver dollar does for my milk

#24 ·
Try rubbing alcohol and then acetone as a last ditch effort.
Also try running near boiling water through the tubes (gravity fed of course)
Maybe bleach?

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
This... $200 on tubing?
20 ft f tygon 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, + s/h to canada, and customs @ 15% tax, + pp fees for exchanging currency... it's pretty easy...

#26 ·
I'm with the OP, I would not replace the tubing over some growth that can be cleaned.

If your feeling lazy, just add some fresh water and anti- bacterial. Wait a week and do it again.

Cyberdruid has the best plan of attack though.

I do not know if this is a fact, but I have read it takes 4-6 silver coils in a loop. I put some of the ptnuke and bought some pure silver online. I have also read about using the stuff from the pet store, never tried it though.

So far I have only had my loop for a month, but no growth yet. My loop is an open loop also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.