So I've been working on Sabriel a little... and I've noticed that the platform upgrade has eliminated the spoiler tags wrapping all the photos. Whoops.
Well, I bought some new hardware. I found myself avoiding using the rig because it was noisy. The PSU had a 80mm exhaust fan which runs fast and loud. So that's been replaced with a Be-Quiet Straight Power E9 700W unit. Also bought a Sidewinder X6 keyboard, a Roccat Kone[+] mouse and a Leatherman Skeletool CX because I'm awesome like that
I've also worked on the case doors this week. When I left them last, they were painted in high-gloss black but suffered a lot of orange peel. Wet-sanded them a few days ago, and polished them up to a nice shine today. I put the window in on the left door and fitted it, but I've left the right door off for now.
PSU (Click to show)
Keyboard and Mouse (Click to show)
Bonus: Leatherman Skeletool CX (Click to show)
Orange Peel / Before (Click to show)
Halfway there (Click to show)
Window Panel (Click to show)
Window panel is polished, the back panel is flatted.
- The reflection is nice IRL, but the metal is warped in some places which is glaringly obvious in some of the photos. It's much less noticeable on the other panel, but applying the compound with a microfibre cloth has left some scratches in it. My brother is going to bring home one of his tools to see if that can do it better, but it's not a major problem.
- I decided against painting the A logo on the back panel. As much as I wanted to do it, I was uncertain about how to go about it and how the different colours would affect the polishing process. Instead, I'm considering applying a vinyl version of my logo, but we'll see.
- I really wish I could find an internal, slimline, SATA, lightscribe-compatible DVD-DL burner. It just doesn't exist. In one of the last few photos, you can the see the mesh up top through the window. The reason that's visible is that I've removed the top exhaust fan. I'm going to block that area off and use it for cable management (hopefully), though if I could find a DVD drive that fits the spec I want, I'd fit that in there.
- Right now, it's really dark in there. Looking through the window, I can just about make out the PCIe power cable and a few tubes. I've got some CCFLs to put in there which should make it easier to see through. They have switches with them so I can turn them off while watching a movie or playing games. The only question is about the colour. I have two whites and two reds, and two controllers for them (two lights per controller). I don't know whether to put both whites on one controller and both reds on the other, or one of each on each controller. I'll have to have a play around and see how it looks.
- I set up an image of my C Drive, which I can restore from instead of having to reinstall everything manually (I reinstall Windows every 3-4 months intentionally). I derped when I set up the system pre-imaging:
Derp (Click to show)
- Still need to create the circuit board for the front panel USB ports
- Yet to add the plate of metal to cover the old power buttons and stuff. After looking at another mod (of an Antec 1200), I'm contemplating filling it rather than covering it. Not sure how to deal with the mesh up top if I'm going to be putting the cables there.
- Cable management up top
- Other stuff I can't remember right now.
- Just went through the entire log, fixing the spoiler tags. Turns out just clicking edit and then saving will fix it.
- Remember I said that I'm considering changing the name if I can find something that can match Felicity Rogue
? I'm thinking Kaijin, which I'm currently using as an alias. Alternatively, if I stick to my theme of using female names, I ♥ Nikita
.Edited by [Adz] - 1/20/12 at 7:23pm