Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)
No, that's not a cute rawr, that's a rawr as the politest thing I can think of to express my annoyance with triggering the censor.
With the scratches on the main body of the case, I decided that finishing the case quickly was more important than a perfect finish. So I lightly sanded the areas around the scratches with some 800 and then 1200 (I have no idea why I did that), and painted right over it in those areas.
While I waited for it to dry, one of the wet edges got stuck to the newspaper I sat it on. By the time I realised, it was too late. As I removed it, the paper ripped and was stuck to the paintwork. Removing the paper took the paint with it.
So I sprayed that area with primer, let it dry for a few hours (it was in the sun, hot day, I made a judgement call and it worked out alright) and then painted over it.
At the same time, I gave the side panel a wet sand with 800/1200 and then another light coat. That turned out really really nice.
Today, I decided to paint my logo onto it. So after a few painstaking hours, trying to get it perfectly centred, I took it out to the shed and started painting the red right on the black.
First sign of trouble - it wasn't as vibrant as I expected it to be. The last time I used this paint, it was on grey primer and it immediately showed up as a beautiful bright red but on the black it didn't.
I persevered. Gave it another two coats at 10-15 minute intervals, then waited 30 minutes for the final very light spray. Again, I don't know why I did that, but I also did it on the black yesterday and that turned out perfect.
Now, I know that there is no environment in my house which is even close to ideal for painting. It's like I have invisible clouds in every room that just rain dust. The shed isn't much better - little specks of dirt/wood/dust always fly on to the paint while it's still wet. So to counter it, I had a fan nearby. I did it with the black too, no problem. I simply put the fan to the side of the panel and faced it towards the panel so that any dirt that comes close just gets pushed aside before it can touch the paint.
Hey - it kept it clean.
So, I sprayed it red, 3 times flat and the final light spray while it was standing (leaning back on a box). And I left it . A few hours under the hot sun with a nice constant breeze from the fan, and it was done. I took the stencil off. Looked good... until I noticed the flaw staring right at me. And now, it's the only thing I can see when I look at it.
There were a few parts of the stencil, which I'd made out of a cereal box, which were raised off the panel. So, to prevent that from ruining the design, I put some masking tape underneath it in a few key locations to hold it down.
When I took the stencil off, I immediately noticed that there was a lot of spray around the shape. If you've ever used Photoshop's "Outer Glow" layer style, you'll know exactly what I mean. It looked fantastic. But in trying to prevent a screw-up, I screwed it up. The masking tape from those 4 key locations had done their job and prevented the paint from getting through - and their locations are blatantly outlined by the absence of spray/glow.
The spray/glow isn't uniform either, so in some places there's too much, in others there's none at all. Where there's none or a little bit of spray, it's great, but on the more intricate parts, there's too much. I'm not sure how well the photo's will convey this but I'll give it a try.
In addition, the fan blew a lot of spray onto the main body of the case and the entire case floor and some of the edges had gone red. I got most of it off with a cloth, then got some more off by washing it. The bit that is still there will stay there.
I'm just not happy. Really not happy.
A perfect Brilliant Black and then a screwed up application of Laser Red
Brilliant BlackDoesn't look so black in the sunlight[A]Alt title - Spot the mistakes [Multiple Photos]The flash killed the spray, so it looks kinda embossed and what it would have looked like if it had no spray at all as I had originally intendedClose up
So, it looks like I've got no choice but to sand the entire panel down to bare metal again and start from scratch.
Edited by [Adz] - 1/20/12 at 7:07pm