Went to the factory first thing this morning. After much debate and some test rendering, I decided it wasn't worth my time even attempting it with a 2mm end mill bit. This case is going to last me until Haswell or maybe even Rockwell, so I don't wanna be stuck with something I regret.
Fortunately, the neighbours have extensive CNC equipment... including a water jet cutter. £30 and a few hours later, I have my front panel almost complete.
I actually recorded the process, but most of it is underwater and it's 9 minutes long, so I'm not going to bother uploading it.Full frontalIt was kinda amusing explaining that it's going to be used to mount a radiator in my computer for watercooling
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice guyVery friendly guy who did the final checks on the toolpaths and handled the machine.BeforeA 500mm x 500mm sheet of brushed aluminiumAfterGlamour shotBattle ScarsBlood lustThe picture doesn't show it so well, but the sense of depth between the front of the case and the lights is kinda cool and eerie at the same time.
I couldn't do the text with the water jet, and I'm contemplating leaving it out completely for the sake of simplicity and time preservation. Uni starts again on Monday, and I want the bulk of this out of the way by then.
So tomorrow, I'm likely to go get the sides bent and call up the anodisers to see how quickly they can make it black for me.
Unfortunately, as great as it looks, it's also critically flawed. My biggest concern was that I'd get the sizes or the spacing of the fan screws and blowholes wrong. While I was worrying about that, I completely neglected the drive bay tabs spacing.
The top bar (where the drive bay screws are) lines up fine... but I didn't really think or scrutinise what I was doing with the bottom one; it doesn't fit because of a drive bay tab. Subsequently, the screw holes I made don't line up either. Going to have to do something about that before getting it anodised, meaning more work tonight.
Oh, and there's a nasty scratch near the top; clearly visible in the "battle scars" photo (one before last).
Other than that, I think it looks great
The bad doesn't stop there. Yesterday, or maybe the day before, I noticed that the screen on my FC6 doesn't work. The rest of it is fine, but the screen doesn't display anything. Going to have to RMA it to Aria. I've had it since August, but I've not even had 100 hours of use out of it.Edited by [Adz] - 1/20/12 at 7:11pm