Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First PC Build Ever - need help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First PC Build Ever - need help. - Page 5

post #41 of 90
Thread Starter 
So, overall, which is better for what I am gonna do? i5 or i7?
post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuku View Post
So, overall, which is better for what I am gonna do? i5 or i7?
i5.

Here's comparisons between the i5 and i7. When games are maxed out, it puts less stress on the CPU and more on the GPU(s). Medium or low settings, the i7 might win. This is another reason why it's great to save money and get the i5.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=100
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
i5.

Here's comparisons between the i5 and i7. When games are maxed out, it puts less stress on the CPU and more on the GPU(s). Medium or low settings, the i7 might win. This is another reason why it's great to save money and get the i5.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=100
Wait but according to that, Crysis and Far Cry run better on the i7. Am i reading that right?
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuku View Post
Wait but according to that, Crysis and Far Cry run better on the i7. Am i reading that right?
It's half a frame and 3 frames. That difference is not noticeable. It's expected as well considering the i7 is $100 more.

Not to mention that's medium settings, so it relies more on the CPU than GPU.
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
It's half a frame and 3 frames. That difference is not noticeable. It's expected as well considering the i7 is $100 more.

Not to mention that's medium settings, so it relies more on the CPU than GPU.
So with the build you gave me, my GPU will be good enough to take that stress off the CPU?
post #46 of 90
check out my AMD build for you on page 4 and the following message in bold below it...its a really sweet deal.

AMD is a force to be reckoned with. It competes with Intel hand-in-hand in the gaming industry.
post #47 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post
check out my AMD build for you on page 4 and the following message in bold below it...its a really sweet deal.

AMD is a force to be reckoned with. It competes with Intel hand-in-hand in the gaming industry.
think it will run games better than the i5 build? also, what do you think about putting that six core CPU in your build?
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuku View Post
So with the build you gave me, my GPU will be good enough to take that stress off the CPU?
Yeah.

On another forum I post on someone has an i5 @ 4GHz and 2x5970's(4 GPUs) and the GPU's aren't really bottlenecked at max settings, so you won't have to worry about that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuku View Post
think it will run games better than the i5 build? also, what do you think about putting that six core CPU in your build?
Remember that AMD doesn't support SLI, so that would be an issue for you.
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 ASRock 970 Extreme3 MSI GTX 470 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 1.25v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB LG GH22NS50 CM Hyper 212 Evo W7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE228H i-rocks KR-6820E-BK  Antec Neo ECO 520C  HAF 912 
Mouse
G9x  
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuuku View Post
think it will run games better than the i5 build? also, what do you think about putting that six core CPU in your build?
6 cores are useless for gaming. The most any game today uses is 4 cores.
post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
Yeah.

On another forum I post on someone has an i5 @ 4GHz and 2x5970's(4 GPUs) and the GPU's aren't really bottlenecked at max settings, so you won't have to worry about that either.



Remember that AMD doesn't support SLI, so that would be an issue for you.
most amd boards do support SLI via a 1-click program hack.

however my build included a 5850 which competes with gtx465...i think...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First PC Build Ever - need help.