Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Guild Wars 2 Discussion, Video & Screenshot Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Guild Wars 2 Discussion, Video & Screenshot Thread - Page 744

post #7431 of 10385
Just wanted to say,
I am a very pleased Arena Net customer.

Among reasons I won't go into too much detail, I decided that Guild Wars 2 was just not a game I was going to play much at all.

So I requested a refund and got it within 24 hours.
My serial code is deactivated and so I can no longer access Guild Wars 2.

Please note that is only available if you purchase directly from Arena Net. Otherwise you must contact the 3rd party you bought it from (and may not be possible).

An important note, of which I personally feel is unneeded to be said, is that I
only made it about level 25 (max level is 80) and I only completed about 2-3 zones (of which there are 24).
I say this to denote that I had not "completed" the entire game and did everything I wanted to do and then ditched it. Far from it.

As someone who previously lost a lot of money on Rift, I was expecting for my money to stay gone.
My expectations were wrong.

I would like to add,
Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game. It was just not, personally, for me.

I would recommend anything Arena Net makes based on my experience with them.


Please be aware that I am not here to argue whether a refund is moral or not. I am simply stating my experience for others to read.
Edited by kennyparker1337 - 10/10/12 at 2:20pm
post #7432 of 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

Just wanted to say,
I am a very pleased Arena Net customer.
Among reasons I won't go into too much detail, I decided that Guild Wars 2 was just not a game I was going to play much at all.
So I requested a refund and got it within 24 hours.
My serial code is deactivated and so I can no longer access Guild Wars 2.
An important note, of which I personally feel is unneeded to be said, is that I only made it about level 25 (max level is 80) and I only completed about 2-3 zones (of which there are 24).
I say this to denote that I had not "completed" the entire game and done everything I wanted and then ditch it. Far from it.
As someone who previously lost a lot of money on Rift, I was expecting for my money to stay gone.
My expectations were wrong.
I would like to add,
Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game. It was just not, personally, for me.
I would recommend anything Arena Net makes based on my experience with them.

Please be aware that I am not here to argue whether a refund is moral or not. I am simply stating my experience for others to read.

I think its worth asking, did you purchase the game from ANet or a third party. Might help others in the future. ( No, im keeping my account until the end of the guild wars 2 world)
DeadHost
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k 4.7 Ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme4 MSI GTX 670 PE 8 GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1 TB WD Green Crucial M4 Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 7 Ultimate x86_64 SP1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HPW23something Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Pro OCZ 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G400 Steelseries Qck Pioneer VSX-821 
  hide details  
Reply
DeadHost
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k 4.7 Ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme4 MSI GTX 670 PE 8 GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1 TB WD Green Crucial M4 Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 7 Ultimate x86_64 SP1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HPW23something Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Pro OCZ 600W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G400 Steelseries Qck Pioneer VSX-821 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7433 of 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

They're using custom OCP's (custom designed servers) that are practically the same as Google's so, in terms of server hardware, it's very high quality, custom stuff...I can't get into detail beyond that but, the servers they're using, rival Blizzards in terms of quality.
Like I said, rendering is done some-what universally and separately...I can't explain this as well as I'd like to but, for you to render something in the distance, essentially 4/5 different functions come together to materialize that person for you...If one or two of those functions is broken, which, is what I can take from what you've all said then, they have to find that function and address the issue.
Another issue that was discovered this morning (you guys are getting somewhat of an exclusive here) is that hackers are actually wiping everything and forcing a mechanic that has been unprecedented which, is everything spawning at the same time...This hadn't been forseen as an issue but, clearly having many NPC's stack/spawn from the same location is a massive problem...So, things like that are being changed as well, just to ensure that NPC's under the world aren't something that's going to occur again, regardless of the reasoning as to why.
I seem to come off as a pretentious villain in most of my posts and that's definitely my objective so, I do apologize...It's more of an inside joke but, it's not my goal to be patronizing nor confrontational so, I thank you for that criticism and it's something I'll work on in the future.
That being said, you are correct and have explained the issue far beyond what I was capable of, thank you.
I believe it has something to do with the camera function and it's interaction with the rendering process so, they're actually looking over that code.
You are right in that this will take quite a bit of time to fix but, as was pointed out to me last night, I was incorrect about the coding aspect of the game, for the most part. They followed universally friendly mechanics for every process but, the quests themselves, differ; the quests are what are unique, especially the single-player instanced quests which is why those are difficult to address...So, I was wrong and I apologize for that as well.
Just a FYI, I crash as well now thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

If the hardware is up to snuff, it must be how their software utilizes the hardware (or doesn't utilize it). Even before this last patch that basically made WvW unplayable, simple 30 vs 30 battles would seriously lag out. It's really the only game I've seen in recent years that struggles with that few player fighting.

Not to mention client side they have way too much utilization on the CPU and not enough on the GPU. Even with my 5 GHz 3770k, during aforementioned 30 vs 30 fight, I've seen my GPU utilization pretty much bottom out with my cards idling as I get 20 FPS in such a small battle. There isn't that much going on in this game that should drop a CPU like that. Not even sure if this game really uses more than one core.
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X - 4.5 GHz Edition 10 Rampage V Extreme Titan Xp  G.Skill 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB - Samsung SM961 Windows 10 Pro OLED 4K 55" LG C7P Razer BlackWidow TE Stealth Chroma 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Razer Mamba TE Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X - 4.5 GHz Edition 10 Rampage V Extreme Titan Xp  G.Skill 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB - Samsung SM961 Windows 10 Pro OLED 4K 55" LG C7P Razer BlackWidow TE Stealth Chroma 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Razer Mamba TE Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Sennheiser HD-700 Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7434 of 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

They're using custom OCP's (custom designed servers) that are practically the same as Google's so, in terms of server hardware, it's very high quality, custom stuff...I can't get into detail beyond that but, the servers they're using, rival Blizzards in terms of quality.
Like I said, rendering is done some-what universally and separately...I can't explain this as well as I'd like to but, for you to render something in the distance, essentially 4/5 different functions come together to materialize that person for you...If one or two of those functions is broken, which, is what I can take from what you've all said then, they have to find that function and address the issue.
Another issue that was discovered this morning (you guys are getting somewhat of an exclusive here) is that hackers are actually wiping everything and forcing a mechanic that has been unprecedented which, is everything spawning at the same time...This hadn't been forseen as an issue but, clearly having many NPC's stack/spawn from the same location is a massive problem...So, things like that are being changed as well, just to ensure that NPC's under the world aren't something that's going to occur again, regardless of the reasoning as to why.
I seem to come off as a pretentious villain in most of my posts and that's definitely my objective so, I do apologize...It's more of an inside joke but, it's not my goal to be patronizing nor confrontational so, I thank you for that criticism and it's something I'll work on in the future.
That being said, you are correct and have explained the issue far beyond what I was capable of, thank you.
I believe it has something to do with the camera function and it's interaction with the rendering process so, they're actually looking over that code.
You are right in that this will take quite a bit of time to fix but, as was pointed out to me last night, I was incorrect about the coding aspect of the game, for the most part. They followed universally friendly mechanics for every process but, the quests themselves, differ; the quests are what are unique, especially the single-player instanced quests which is why those are difficult to address...So, I was wrong and I apologize for that as well.
Just a FYI, I crash as well now thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

If the hardware is up to snuff, it must be how their software utilizes the hardware (or doesn't utilize it). Even before this last patch that basically made WvW unplayable, simple 30 vs 30 battles would seriously lag out. It's really the only game I've seen in recent years that struggles with that few player fighting.

Not to mention client side they have way too much utilization on the CPU and not enough on the GPU. Even with my 5 GHz 3770k, during aforementioned 30 vs 30 fight, I've seen my GPU utilization pretty much bottom out with my cards idling as I get 20 FPS in such a small battle. There isn't that much going on in this game that should drop a CPU like that. Not even sure if this game really uses more than one core.

My cpu is nowhere near as spiffy as yours (see sig rig), but I can agree that the gpu is not being fully utilized.

Sent from my DROID X Running ICS CM9
post #7435 of 10385
Dammit I have to install my H100 this weekend..I hope I don't lose too much time allocated for GW2..:| Oh well. Guess it's about balancing PC tinkering with gaming lol.
PROMETHEUS
(19 items)
 
ABOMINATION
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz Alienware HM67 Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5GB GDDR3 @ 760/1080 Kingston HyperX PnP 2x4GB @ 1866MHz SODIMM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Black 500GB Slot Loaded DVD/RW Windows 7 Home Premium 14.1" 1600x900p WLED LCD Display 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alienware M14x Standard Keyboard 8-cell Battery with 150W adapter Alienware M14x Chassis Roccat Pyra Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Double Sided Hard Gaming Mat Alienware M14x on-board Speakers by Klipsch 
  hide details  
Reply
PROMETHEUS
(19 items)
 
ABOMINATION
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz Alienware HM67 Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5GB GDDR3 @ 760/1080 Kingston HyperX PnP 2x4GB @ 1866MHz SODIMM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Black 500GB Slot Loaded DVD/RW Windows 7 Home Premium 14.1" 1600x900p WLED LCD Display 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alienware M14x Standard Keyboard 8-cell Battery with 150W adapter Alienware M14x Chassis Roccat Pyra Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Double Sided Hard Gaming Mat Alienware M14x on-board Speakers by Klipsch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7436 of 10385
Ahhh! The new 306.97 drivers make the game so buttery smooth. Here's to hoping the transparent texture thing doesn't rear its ugly head and make me revert again. guiltysmiley.gif
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7437 of 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

Ahhh! The new 306.97 drivers make the game so buttery smooth. Here's to hoping the transparent texture thing doesn't rear its ugly head and make me revert again. guiltysmiley.gif

Another new driver? Where can I get this? Is this NVIDIA official or devt driver?

Edit: Nevermind official NVIDIA driver. Just looked now lol.
Edited by BeastRider - 10/11/12 at 12:11am
PROMETHEUS
(19 items)
 
ABOMINATION
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz Alienware HM67 Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5GB GDDR3 @ 760/1080 Kingston HyperX PnP 2x4GB @ 1866MHz SODIMM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Black 500GB Slot Loaded DVD/RW Windows 7 Home Premium 14.1" 1600x900p WLED LCD Display 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alienware M14x Standard Keyboard 8-cell Battery with 150W adapter Alienware M14x Chassis Roccat Pyra Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Double Sided Hard Gaming Mat Alienware M14x on-board Speakers by Klipsch 
  hide details  
Reply
PROMETHEUS
(19 items)
 
ABOMINATION
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz Alienware HM67 Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1.5GB GDDR3 @ 760/1080 Kingston HyperX PnP 2x4GB @ 1866MHz SODIMM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Black 500GB Slot Loaded DVD/RW Windows 7 Home Premium 14.1" 1600x900p WLED LCD Display 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Alienware M14x Standard Keyboard 8-cell Battery with 150W adapter Alienware M14x Chassis Roccat Pyra Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Alumic Double Sided Hard Gaming Mat Alienware M14x on-board Speakers by Klipsch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7438 of 10385
And just like that, my hopes are dashed. Whhhhyyyyyy can't they fix this already?! The new drivers are so much better, but I can't stand textures popping to transparent like that. sad-smiley-002.gif

edit:

Holy crap! I remembered someone saying it was because they added ambient occlusion a few weeks ago, but I thought that this was strictly something to do with the game. I didn't realize you could just turn it off in the driver settings! I've been turning it on by habit after each driver install because I like everything to look as good as possible, but I haven't been making the connection until now! It's actually off by default. I feel dumb now. -.-

This is my theme song for the next hour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5Qr88ca8w

I get to enjoy the smoothness of the new drivers without any problems now! This is a good day.
Edited by Kaldari - 10/11/12 at 12:50am
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7439 of 10385
delete
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
Bueller
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K 4.7Ghz @ 1.36v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte Windforce 780 Ti 3GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + RAID1 2TB 7200 Hitachis LG 6X Blu-ray Burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG236HE XArmor U9BL-S Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 SteelSeries 5L O2DAC -> Corsair SP2500 (or O2 amp and Beyerdyn... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7440 of 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

And just like that, my hopes are dashed. Whhhhyyyyyy can't they fix this already?! The new drivers are so much better, but I can't stand textures popping to transparent like that. sad-smiley-002.gif
edit:
Holy crap! I remembered someone saying it was because they added ambient occlusion a few weeks ago, but I thought that this was strictly something to do with the game. I didn't realize you could just turn it off in the driver settings! I've been turning it on by habit after each driver install because I like everything to look as good as possible, but I haven't been making the connection until now! It's actually off by default. I feel dumb now. -.-
This is my theme song for the next hour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5Qr88ca8w
I get to enjoy the smoothness of the new drivers without any problems now! This is a good day.

That is a good point, there is often a desire (especially amongst a group like OCN gamers) to crank up the eye candy to the maximum for epeen/wow-factorage - losing sight of the fact that many of those elements are not beneficial to the actual playability of a game. I'm definitely guilty of that on more than one occasion, and it's even more applicable to a game like GW2 that is freakin' beeyooteefull biggrin.gif Although it's hard not to get pissed when you're enjoying something and suddenly you're looking at an error message, or a stuck event, or an army of bots or whatever - we also have to realize (myself included) that it's not ANet's desire for any of that to happen. They as a developer are walking a very fine line between angering their customers by releasing a buggy game... and being a John Romero and releasing a game that's 'done' but is so out of date by the time they start selling it that no one cares about it any longer.

Would I have liked GW2 to have started out as good as GW1 is now? Damn straight! Is that likely or even possible given the scope of the game and the pressure they were under to actually get something out the door? Hardly. So while it is frustrating, and we are all emotional about it to one extent or another (positively or negatively) - the bottom line is that they are just people and they are trying. The one thing that I can definitely say sets ANet apart in a huge way is that they have (both now and in the past with GW1) continued to improve both amount and quality of content despite not receiving a monthly subscription fee. If we were talking about my CC getting dinged for $15-20/month while I can't even finish a map because it doesn't work... I'd be demanding my money back and not returning.

Since I don't have to pay any more (at least until there is a large expansion in a year or two) the only thing to be upset about is how badly I want it to work better than it does... but that's really only a result of how good the aspects of the game that do work properly are... they make me want even more all the time. Based on past experience, I will undoubtedly get that someday. I for one will make every effort to remain constructive and objective in any future criticism of this game - after all, even as it currently exists... it's way more entertaining than anything I've ever developed - by a mile. thumb.gif

And curse you for that youtube link... you just cost me an hour of productive time watching Tenacious D videos thanks to the side bar links... mad.gif
Edited by DiGiCiDAL - 10/11/12 at 2:54am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Guild Wars 2 Discussion, Video & Screenshot Thread