Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › "i945PL not support DDRII667" ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"i945PL not support DDRII667" ?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
"i945PL not support DDRII667"
I got this info from a report introducing i945 series chipset in my country.
With doubt, I refered to Intel's official website and find nothing about those diction.

I consider that Memory's work frequency is affected by FSB only.
So, what the "not support" means ?
Is it means that, as the same as DDRxxx, DDRII667 is excluded by i945PL?
Or, it means that, although accepted by i945PL, no matter how you overclock FSB, DDRII667 can work only as efficient as DDRII533 ?

"CPU's external frequency", "Front side bus", "Memory clock ratio", "FSB:RAM"...etc.
They gotto freak me out

Best regards,
mebanna
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
If DDR2533 is not supported at the motherboard level that will mean the DDR2 (if it is 533 that you have inserted into the mainboard) will default to DDR2400MHz.

However, that being said, the i945PL chipset does have support for both DDR2 533/400.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...830&cid=6&pg=1

Your motherboard might have this support disabled but I doubt it.

R
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropey
If DDR2533 is not supported at the motherboard level that will mean the DDR2 (if it is 533 that you have inserted into the mainboard) will default to DDR2400MHz.

However, that being said, the i945PL chipset does have support for both DDR2 533/400.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...830&cid=6&pg=1

Your motherboard might have this support disabled but I doubt it.

R
Thanks for the response.

I think i understand a majority of what you said. But, there are still something I can't figure out clearly:
if I OC the FSB from 200 to 333, Memory should be working on 667,
So, can i consider the motherboard "support" DDRII 667 ?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
FSB is usually referring to the CPU, but yes, if you set your RAM frequency to 333, that is running ay 667.

And as Ropey stated, unless your specific motherboard has that support disabled, it should be able to handle DDR2 667.

What motherboard are you looking at that it's not supported? I just Googled "i945PL" and got a gigabyte board result that stated it handled 667, so it's not the chipset that's holding it back.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebanna
if I OC the FSB from 200 to 333, Memory should be working on 667, So, can i consider the motherboard "support" DDRII 667 ?
You can consider that your motherboard will work with that dram speed. Support often means that if you have a problem with what they don't support, don't contact them because they will not help you.

Yes, an overclock can create a situation where unsupported speeds are attained, however in your case I believe the dram to be supported.

R
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Roped In
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 X Callisto Deluxe 25nm 60GB Plextor PX-B910SA 4x Blu-ray DVD-RW Win7 64 2 x Samsung 275T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX10000 Antec 1200 Logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Splatter Game Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
FSB is usually referring to the CPU, but yes, if you set your RAM frequency to 333, that is running ay 667.

And as Ropey stated, unless your specific motherboard has that support disabled, it should be able to handle DDR2 667.

What motherboard are you looking at that it's not supported? I just Googled "i945PL" and got a gigabyte board result that stated it handled 667, so it's not the chipset that's holding it back.
Yeh, I've the same viewpoint,
In this question, the mainboard, not the chipset would be the main determinant of supportion.
Thanks~


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropey
You can consider that your motherboard will work with that dram speed. Support often means that if you have a problem with what they don't support, don't contact them because they will not help you.

Yes, an overclock can create a situation where unsupported speeds are attained, however in your case I believe the dram to be supported.
Great~
Now, I'm totally clear about that !
Thanks~
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
PD820 2.8 @3.6 ABIT IL8 WindowsXP+SP2 AOC193FW 
KeyboardPowerMouse
M$ Basic Keyboard FSP500 M$ wheel mouse Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › "i945PL not support DDRII667" ?