Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Fractal Design Case Club - Page 338

post #3371 of 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi518 View Post

Strange, what makes the H100 incompatible? Isn't it a 240mm rad? :|
Not enough space. H100 + fan = 50mm, and there's roughly 40mm of space from top of the case to the start of the mobo. It might just fit but it depends on your motherboard. We've tried a few mobos (for pre-built systems) and it was a no-go.
Oh and the screw holes don't align with most rads IIRC, I didn't test it myself..
Edited by Blizlake - 7/20/12 at 4:46am
post #3372 of 16282
If Arc Midi and Define R3 Black Pearl could have sex, this would be their child. In a nutshell, as mentioned above it's basically an arc midi with a door and sound proof side panels. Plus bottom cage is not riveted anymore, so you can easily remove both. Pretty cool i would say for an update. Oh and two stealth ssd mounts on the back, which is a nice touch too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHabit View Post

3x140? i want to see that biggrin.gif Can you show me a picture?
3x140 i haven't seen, but it's possible with a little modding done. i'm thinking of trying that idea if i do a do a loop.
Edited by lurker2501 - 7/20/12 at 4:53am
Filthy Casual
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Z87X-OC R9 290 Kingston Fury HyperX 
CaseMouseAudio
Phatneks P400 Nixeus Vue Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Filthy Casual
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Z87X-OC R9 290 Kingston Fury HyperX 
CaseMouseAudio
Phatneks P400 Nixeus Vue Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3373 of 16282
lol I just realized... Technically it does support slim WC rads: they didn't say that you could have fans too lachen.gif

Based on what little time I've had with the case:
They took the HDD cage from Arc series and made it 100% removable and 5+3 instead of 4+4 drives. They also made the case wider to accommodate 140mm fans all around. However the top fans aren't offset like on Arc series which is good from aesthetics point of view but essentially makes the top incompatible with watercooling.
Now that the case is wider, there's a lot more room on the back side of the case for cable routing (slightly under 20mm with the foam on the sidepanel included): that's very good since the R3 is a bit limited on space behind the mobo tray. The SSD mounts on the backside is a good idea but mounting is awkward since the screw holes will be behind your mobo. You can also, if my workmate isn't a retard, fit the huge Phanteks in the R4 He did say it was tight though..
Some people may love the integrated fan controller. Personally I don't like it but it's fantastic on pre-built systems.

Overall the case left me with a bit confused thoughts: it is clearly an upgrade, and it fixes some of the annoying little things on their cases like the fixed (lower part on arcs) HDD cage. However since they made it a tad taller than the R3, they could have made it even a tiny bit more so that you could install a watercooling radiator with fans on the top of the case without worrying too much about your mobo or RAM interfering.

As a successor to the R3, it's a winner. It just could have been so much better. Overall, I'd say it's 8.9/10.
Sorry for all the typos, I'm not going to start to hunt 'em on this rather long post.
Edited by Blizlake - 7/20/12 at 5:16am
post #3374 of 16282
R4 looks not bad. Really brings the Define up to date. But what I really want to see is an Arc XL thumb.gif
post #3375 of 16282
Arc XL would be awesome.

I want a white Arc so bad. Might see if I can get mine powder coated.
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3376 of 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

I want a white Arc so bad. Might see if I can get mine powder coated.
Yeah, I'd buy a white arc in a heartbeat. But powdercoating plastic is hard afaik. I'd rather have it painted smile.gif
post #3377 of 16282
Just rang a friend of mine and he has given me a number for a local guy who has owns his own paint shop. Gonna see if he can paint my case rather than powder coat it.
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3378 of 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizlake View Post

lol I just realized... Technically it does support slim WC rads: they didn't say that you could have fans too lachen.gif
Based on what little time I've had with the case:
They took the HDD cage from Arc series and made it 100% removable and 5+3 instead of 4+4 drives. They also made the case wider to accommodate 140mm fans all around. However the top fans aren't offset like on Arc series which is good from aesthetics point of view but essentially makes the top incompatible with watercooling.
Now that the case is wider, there's a lot more room on the back side of the case for cable routing (slightly under 20mm with the foam on the sidepanel included): that's very good since the R3 is a bit limited on space behind the mobo tray. The SSD mounts on the backside is a good idea but mounting is awkward since the screw holes will be behind your mobo. You can also, if my workmate isn't a retard, fit the huge Phanteks in the R4 He did say it was tight though..
Some people may love the integrated fan controller. Personally I don't like it but it's fantastic on pre-built systems.
Overall the case left me with a bit confused thoughts: it is clearly an upgrade, and it fixes some of the annoying little things on their cases like the fixed (lower part on arcs) HDD cage. However since they made it a tad taller than the R3, they could have made it even a tiny bit more so that you could install a watercooling radiator with fans on the top of the case without worrying too much about your mobo or RAM interfering.
As a successor to the R3, it's a winner. It just could have been so much better. Overall, I'd say it's 8.9/10.
Sorry for all the typos, I'm not going to start to hunt 'em on this rather long post.

what if you use a slim rad and two of these slim coolermaster fans?



No mentioned that..
post #3379 of 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

Just rang a friend of mine and he has given me a number for a local guy who has owns his own paint shop. Gonna see if he can paint my case rather than powder coat it.

 

Just do what I did, get metal parts powder coated a gloss white and paint all the plastic with another colour to make the case your own.

CHILZ - Lan Rig
(17 items)
 
CANARY - Main Rig
(16 items)
 
CADILLAC - HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4570s Asus H97M-Plus AMD R9 280 G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB (2x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
250 GB Samsung 840 240 GB Kingston 3 TB USB 3.0 Drive Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Preview BenQ GL2450 Filco MajesTouch2 Ninja PC P&C Silencer Mk III 600 W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 1000 Mionix Castor Monoprice XXL JL Amps + Custom Morel Bookshelf speakers 
Other
Scythe Kama-Panel 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4.6 GHz Fatal1ty 990FX Pro 9800 GTX+ 512 MB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 1 TB WD Black 5x 120mm + MCP350 + EK Supreme HF + MicroRes Windows 8 Consumer Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell U2212HM Logitech G110 Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro Cooler Master 690 II Adv. 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder 3.5G Staples Gel Cushion Asus Xonar DG + Senn. PC333D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Acer X1800 ATI 5670 2 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 TB WD Green Asus BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium Sony 50" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Acer Media 220 W SFF Acer X1800 Acer Optical 
Mouse PadAudio
The TV cabinet Denon 2808 7.1 AVR + Dahlquist 350W 8" Sub + Kl... 
  hide details  
Reply
CHILZ - Lan Rig
(17 items)
 
CANARY - Main Rig
(16 items)
 
CADILLAC - HTPC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4570s Asus H97M-Plus AMD R9 280 G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB (2x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
250 GB Samsung 840 240 GB Kingston 3 TB USB 3.0 Drive Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Preview BenQ GL2450 Filco MajesTouch2 Ninja PC P&C Silencer Mk III 600 W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 1000 Mionix Castor Monoprice XXL JL Amps + Custom Morel Bookshelf speakers 
Other
Scythe Kama-Panel 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4.6 GHz Fatal1ty 990FX Pro 9800 GTX+ 512 MB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 1 TB WD Black 5x 120mm + MCP350 + EK Supreme HF + MicroRes Windows 8 Consumer Preview 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell U2212HM Logitech G110 Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro Cooler Master 690 II Adv. 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder 3.5G Staples Gel Cushion Asus Xonar DG + Senn. PC333D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Acer X1800 ATI 5670 2 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 TB WD Green Asus BD-R Windows 7 Home Premium Sony 50" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Acer Media 220 W SFF Acer X1800 Acer Optical 
Mouse PadAudio
The TV cabinet Denon 2808 7.1 AVR + Dahlquist 350W 8" Sub + Kl... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3380 of 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi518 View Post

what if you use a slim rad and two of these slim coolermaster fans?
[*pic*]
No mentioned that..
That could work, as I said there's 40-45mm of space for rad+fans. The H100 is 25mm, so the 15mm fans could fit. BUT: Slim fans suck. They don't have enough pressure for radiator use and they're loud due to the higher rpm needed for "decent" airflow. The specs on those Xtraflo slim fans are very likely exaggerated (a lot), they're probably closer to 30dba/40cfm/low static pressure.
I don't dare to even guess what the real static pressure is)

Just get a good heatsink, a lot less painful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club