Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Fractal Design Case Club - Page 361

post #3601 of 16063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsjose View Post

I bought my Arc Midi yesterday to start off my first build. I know it comes with three fans (1 front, 1 top, and 1 back), but I plan on getting two Silverstone AP141's for intake fans. Am I allowed to move the front stock fan to the bottom of the case? and are the Silverstone AP141's compatible with this case?
Thank you for your help!
Congrats! Yes, the AP141's are compatible with the case, and not a bad choice at all for the front intake. You could move one of the stock fans to the bottom, that would give you more positive pressure and help direct the airflow up.
What are the other parts you will be using on your build? Mostly insterested in your cpu cooler and gpu.
post #3602 of 16063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizlake View Post

Congrats! Yes, the AP141's are compatible with the case, and not a bad choice at all for the front intake. You could move one of the stock fans to the bottom, that would give you more positive pressure and help direct the airflow up.
What are the other parts you will be using on your build? Mostly insterested in your cpu cooler and gpu.

For my GPU I am going to buy a GTX 670 and for my CPU cooler, I am still reading reviews and looking for the right one. I'd be willing to spend the money on the H100 or The Noctua NH-D14 (not digging the colors but not a big deal). This is gonna be my gaming rig so I want everything to stay nice and cool. What do you recommend?
post #3603 of 16063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsjose View Post

For my GPU I am going to buy a GTX 670 and for my CPU cooler, I am still reading reviews and looking for the right one. I'd be willing to spend the money on the H100 or The Noctua NH-D14 (not digging the colors but not a big deal). This is gonna be my gaming rig so I want everything to stay nice and cool. What do you recommend?
I very much prefer heatsinks over the closed loop coolers. (I'm actually using a closed loop cooler myself at the moment, but I bought it because it's going on my GPU when I get some money.)
If you don't like the idea of 1kg of metal and plastic hanging off your motherboard (which is completely safe), or just want a more cleaner or open look, and easier access to some components like your RAM, a H100 isn't a bad choice.
If you want a H100, get some better fans for it. The best option for it would be a double pack of the Corsair SP120 fans IMO. The likes of NH-D14, Silver Arrow and TC14PE come with great fans, so they'll turn out cheaper than the H100.
The fan config I'd go with H100 would be The AP141's front and H100 top with 2 fans, maybe a fan at the bottom too for proper positive pressure.
With a heatsink like the phanteks TC14PE, I'd have the same config but only exhaust fan installed would be the rearmost top fan (and the 2 fans on the heatsink). In both cases I wouldn't use a rear exhaust fan, and I'd cut the mesh off the rear if I were using a heatsink.
post #3604 of 16063

Cheap way that shouldn't need to be done.

I'll drill my own holes before I tape something to my cases. Which is just what I did with my FT02, and my Define XL.
Edited by Shrak - 8/2/12 at 6:45am
post #3605 of 16063
Hm, need to figure out which dremel disks to buy to cut out the fan mesh from my case. It's quite solid steel...my rotary tool is 12V plugged in type. Came with some small disks but I don't think they look up to it. Anyone ecommend some?
post #3606 of 16063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3ath View Post

Hm, need to figure out which dremel disks to buy to cut out the fan mesh from my case. It's quite solid steel...my rotary tool is 12V plugged in type. Came with some small disks but I don't think they look up to it. Anyone ecommend some?

Why not just get some cheap nibblers?

edit: quick video I found to show you; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNAz63vHYDg
Edited by Shrak - 8/2/12 at 7:29pm
post #3607 of 16063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Why not just get some cheap nibblers?
edit: quick video I found to show you; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNAz63vHYDg

Never even heard of nibblers...lol. They look interesting, I got the dremel because it was only £10 on special offer. I will order a nibbler to nibble it for me!
post #3608 of 16063
Not sure how I would get the cutting started on the mesh with one of those. Does it need a large hole to start with? Also do the cuttings go far? I don't really want to remove my motherboard etc if I can help it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-35748-Hand-Nibbler/dp/B0001K9TGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1343966101&sr=1-1

Like that or do I need the style like in the video you posted? I have a drill incase I needed to make a hole I guess. Only ever modded with a chisel and hammer before, but don't want to destroy this case and last one was aluminium this is steel.
Edited by ad3ath - 8/2/12 at 9:12pm
post #3609 of 16063
I have all the things i need for my build ready to order but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the NZXT Havik 140 and will it fit in the arc midi? Another CPU heatsink I was interested in is the CNPS11X Extreme because it looks really good imo. If anyone can give any personal input on these heatsinks i will appreciate it.

Thank you!
post #3610 of 16063
The havik fits easily with plenty of room to spare, and it's a great heatsink based on reviews I've read.
The Zalman... Ugh... puke.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Fractal Design Case Club